Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Myself and BitTorrent (Source/DNS and a reward)

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
If anything, people addressing you as a "hacker" just boosts your rep since half the internet is full of dipshits who instantly think you're some sort of computing god the minute the word hacker is used :p: albeit it's not a nice handle to have and discredits your good reputation.

Guess all we can do is assure the people who aren't forum users who read this story that you're no hacker, you're a forum admin who's being hounded by media jackals twisting the story to boost their reputation on the back of your good deed.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Mr Dylan Love has completely ignored me. last tweetwas 10h ago.. I sent a tweet to him around 24h ago.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Ignored me as well, given his story seems to be giving foundation for other people writing their Dangle-Plums, man needs a slap!

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Money just appeared in my bank account from BitTorrent for reporting the find. They sent a grand total of $500.

At least they got around sending it to you. It's better than nothing though (in my opinion) this exploit is worth a lot more money than that.

Off-topic:
The press gave me a good laugh.

What about no.
Reaction score
I'd choose to not read any of those comments. Reading those on tweakers.net just agitates me... And everyone portraying you as a "hacker" lol.

I suppose this got the forum quite some more traffic? Notice any increase?

Tweakers.net is also calling Mental a hacker >_> is it so hard for these people too read the OP?

Anyway, $1000 is still cheap for what mental could have done with all that.

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, we should just be grateful you received some money for this. They're a big enough company to just accept your findings and shun you, penniless.

Though that would horribly damage their reputation to white hats. And so the next grey hat hacker might rather sell an exploit to a Chinese group.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Tweakers.net is also calling Mental a hacker >_> is it so hard or these people too read the OP?

Anyway, $1000 is still cheap for what mental could have done with all that.

People who write the article, probably copy it off another site. Since every site so far has called him a hacker, so will the others.. Really dissapointed that they don't actually read the original post.

Reaction score
People who write the article, probably copy it off another site. Since every site so far has called him a hacker, so will the others.. Really dissapointed that they don't actually read the original post.

This is not really true, also why would they read another site's article but not the thread with all the information of the reporter itself? They just want to make the article more thrilling, and most of them come with different conclusions why he 'is a hacker' (such as the Github leak theory from Tweakers).

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
This is not really true, also why would they read another site's article but not the thread with all the information of the reporter itself? They just want to make the article more thrilling, and most of them come with different conclusions why he 'is a hacker' (such as the Github leak theory from Tweakers).

Yes, but notice how the title is similar on every english site. If not fully copying eachother, then alittle atleast.

Reaction score
Yes, but notice how the title is similar on every english site. If not fully copying eachother, then alittle atleast.

They take the key parts, thats what every news site does. Nothing copied from the other sites. Where some people just called him a hacker on English news sites, the Dutch site used sarcastic 'by accident' (notice the '') and came up with the whole Github exploit theory. So no, you're wrong.

Reaction score
Very true. Had MentaL not publicised this though, these hackers wouldn't have known about it anyway. They don't have to give MentaL anything, it's just good of them to do so. Lets be honest, $500 for accidentally stumbling across something, that's not bad.

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Knowing the outcome, what would you have all done if you was in my exact circumstances? I'm interested in what people would have done. My FB got bombarded with people asking to buy it, release it and so on.

I'd have sent them an e-mail "want to bet 20.000$ that I have access to all of your private company files?".

In all seriousness, I'd have done the same thing. There was no point in waiting because someone else could have found it the next day.

Reaction score
I think I would have done the same. Basicly because I think once they will find out that you have sold it / released it, they would have started a lawsuit against you. Maybe kept all the files though, looked through the code of BitTorrent etc.

Back