Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Building An 'Earth-Scraper' (Upside Down Building)

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score

My step-mom refuses to sleep in any building higher than the reach of a firetruck ladder, which is why we live on the 56th floor (Just kidding, Judy). But after seeing the sketches of Mexican architect, Esteban Suarez, I wonder how she would do in an "earth scraper?"

Suarez has imagined a massive building for those who prefer holes to heights and a novel solution around a law that bans structures higher than eight stories in the crowded, historic center of Mexico City.

Instead of a soaring tower, Suarez wants to dig an inverted pyramid nearly a thousand feet deep with enough apartments, stores and offices to hold 100,000 people.

On a planet of 7 billion, is this a space-saving idea whose time has come? Or an engineering folly impossible to construct? Take a gander and share your thoughts via @BillWeirABC on Twitter.

Ironic that it's a Pyramid :w00t:

Reactions: TDC
Reaction score
There are millions of people who already live underground, you just need to make sure you're not doing it anywhere near a fault-line because earthquakes could be even more deadly than they are now.

And how is the pyramid shape ironic?

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yeah when I first read it the Earthquake factor came into thought too, being inside an Earthquakes manifestation Zone would be horrible lol Especially 50+ stories underground.

And don't ask about why I said it's Ironic I'd rather not get flamed and cause an argument because of it.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Nevermind earthquakes, what about the supply of ammenities such as water, power, sewage? And what if there's a fire? You can't quickly dig a hole down to save someone (then again you can't easily reach someone at 50+ stories but which is more likely to be the better option? 50 above ground with ventilation or 50 below with little?)

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Nevermind earthquakes, what about the supply of ammenities such as water, power, sewage? And what if there's a fire? You can't quickly dig a hole down to save someone (then again you can't easily reach someone at 50+ stories but which is more likely to be the better option? 50 above ground with ventilation or 50 below with little?)

They said that they would use special water Generators to convert the huge amount of deposited water underneath Mexico city into Energy, and for the fires all the architect said was they might build an elevator that gives direct surface access.

change my name already!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Such a nice view isn't it. I love the sight of dirt all around me. It's like a potential tomb that's fun.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I sure hope they take into account just how unstable is dirt is. Just as a picture, if you dig a 10 foot hole, hop inside - and it crumbles around you.. that's enough dirt to crush your body.

Now, dig a hole 1000 feet deep.. have some sort of structural instability.. and yeah, your fucked.

1/11/1995 ~ 23/11/2011
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I couldn't ever live in that thing, really, but if it helps in the demographic situation I could take the risk.

Reaction score
Yeah, lets all go live in a giant hole in the ground with no sunlight. When we finally come out we'll look like ghosts because of no sunlight.

Either that, or it'll make people feel accepted.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
I will not live underground unless they find a way to transport fresh air and pure sunlight to me.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
tbh I wouldn't like it either.
other than looking at dirt or just a wall.
It just feels unnatural.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yeah, lets all go live in a giant hole in the ground with no sunlight. When we finally come out we'll look like ghosts because of no sunlight.

Justice For All - Building An 'Earth-Scraper' (Upside Down Building) - RaGEZONE Forums

I can live with that.

i sell platypus
Loyal Member
Reaction score

There is going to be a glass roof so that sunlight comes in. Watch the video, it is quite amazing.

Reaction score
There are cities in Canada that are underground. Such as PATH (which is underground toronto).

Also there's Underground City, Montreal - amazing place too

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In Lansing there is a Secretary Of LAPD Relations building that goes 40+ stories underground, and it stretches from this Building all the way to our Capital Building. We literally have a City underneath our City. The only reason I know this is because my Dad was a Freemason and he helped remodel the Capital building and a bunch of other buildings in our Downtown, including the Secretary Of LAPD Relations building. (Not like Illuminati poop, Freemason as in a Laborer, both him and my Grandpa worked for the Laborers Union.) It's crazy if you go to our Capital building and look closely at the wall panels you can see key-holes that are painted the same color, these are actually 5x5 Tunnels that go all throughout the building and lead down to the Underground levels.

Back