Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

EA CEO John Riccitiello Steps Down

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this so I posted it here. If this is the wrong section a mod has my approval to move it.

Source:

So, the EA CEO steps down. What are your thoughts on this?

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Would like to think it's because such a farce has been made of SimCity... but good luck to the next content-restrictive DRM-loving hack!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Would like to think it's because such a farce has been made of SimCity... but good luck to the next content-restrictive DRM-loving hack!

Idk mate, He got some criticism about swtor. Alot of criticism, But still probly something to do with simcity

Reaction score
Takeoverkyle - EA CEO John Riccitiello Steps Down - RaGEZONE Forums

Look at that face and tell me he didn't enjoy watching animators animate kids for SimCity.
TELL ME HE DIDN'T.

Old Time Member
Reaction score
who else was there to blame? someone had to do "something" to salvage the poop they already produced.

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Of course EA isn't making money. Sim City had about 1/1000th the sales it could've had, and they're basically losing massive amounts of earnings as people request refunds.

Don't worry though, guys. I'm certain his severance package was well into 8 figures, although I'll be highly impressed if he's ever the CEO of a game studio of any size ever again.

Reaction score
Read the article, its all about money, not Sim City, not any other game, but all of them. EA isn't making enough money, so he's stepping down.

Not just that.

He released a statement saying that SimCity NEEDED to be always online as their servers ran the NPC's which was proven to be a complete lie as removing a few lines of code enabled the game to run offline. Reflects very badly on his credibility & business ethics, I don't think EA wanted him representing them anymore. He didn't step down, it was "mutually agreed".

Reaction score
Not just that.

He released a statement saying that SimCity NEEDED to be always online as their servers ran the NPC's which was proven to be a complete lie as removing a few lines of code enabled the game to run offline. Reflects very badly on his credibility & business ethics, I don't think EA wanted him representing them anymore. He didn't step down, it was "mutually agreed".
I still wouldn't blame him for that, I doubt he said that without having a Developer tell him that beforehand.

I wouldn't blame the CEO for the big mistakes made in the company when it comes to DRM etc, as it's most likely not his decision (although he might have agreed to it as well). You guys need to keep in mind that his job is to relay the directions of the board and day-to-day running of the company.

So yes, when it comes to the financial situation he might have failed, but stuff like DRM or how the game launched might not be all his fault, and that he resigned at this time is most likely either a PR stunt to have him as a scapegoat or like he said, him not doing a good enough job to improve the financial situation of the company.

Someone asked "What's chancing CEO going to help?" actually that's going to help quite a lot. I'm part owner in a company, and one thing that I've learned is that you exchange CEO's depending on the situation or stage of the company's life. In the beginning you might have a CEO that's good at doing one thing and then another later. And in a situation where you're loosing a lot of revenue, it's a good idea to find a CEO that will help the company get back on its feet.

Reaction score
Not just that.

I found it funny how they said they just had to make it a online game. Then, modders come along and figure out you only need to remove 2 lines of SimCity code to play offline.

Back