Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

In five years, where will you be?

Success and nothing less
Reaction score
I'm 5 years, I picture myself finishing my masters at an Ivy League Uni. Probably having some fun project on the side. Living life, with my hand in my pants.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'd be in Syria I suppose, with a 5000€ paycheck from the Army.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hey now! Let's not be flaming on here, he didn't do anything to you. It's a friendly thread to see where everybody wants and thinks they will be in the future :)

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Everyone wants to be a web developer.

It's a poop job and you gotta have a team(designer, coder, programmer, copywriter, managers... seo and ux experts, well these last two not so much,they are usually bunch of stupid idiots, but you still gotta have someone who actually understands the people that are going to be visiting those websites, people tend to think designer is the person, and sometimes, very rarely, it is, but in most cases designer knows poop, makes something eye catchy, up userwise useless) of talented people to actually make a great website a make good money.

Besides who knows where the web is gonna be in five years.

Being in the industry myself and actually working with and for the best studios in the country, I'm trying my best not to have to do the same job in five years. And I know others are trying hard too. Everyone is working on their own products / services / startups.. to make shitload of cash of it while you still can.
Sounds like you know what you're talking about.

I think if your job description says "making websites" then you're one of those who have no clue what they're really doing business and ux wise. "Web developer" currently fits my position quite well but it's not what is expected of me. I'll dev for whatever platform and with whatever technologies necessary, ultimately the point is not making a damn website but realizing where there is a (business or user) problem and solving it. Sure, typically some kind of web application does that but if you approach the business from making websites point of view you're doing it wrong.

To the in-5-years consideration: I'm in customer projects currently, but I'd love to develop my own product(s) that I truly care about with people who I'd call my friends instead of work mates.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I see myself in a good university, studying Computer Science and Advanced Mathematics, with a stable relationship, good friends and connections. I also aim to own an iPhone 10. :junglejane:

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
In 5 years I hope to be in graduate school for something pertaining to environmental science or some kind of zoology. That being said I hope to have my undergrad Biology Degree from the college that I currently attend. To supplement the fact that I have to pay for grad school I hope to have a stable job or a job that allows me to work outside doing research or exploration of some sort.

Just as important to me as my education and monetary stability would be that I over the course of these 5 years had built up a friend base and network of people I trust and enjoy to spend time with. Whether they be contacts pertaining to my field of study or a group of close friends.

If those things could happen I would be extremely happy.

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In 5 years I will have been an electrician for 2/3 years! So hopefully I will have my business setup by then.

Reaction score
Not living in England, probably still in rain though, unless I win the lottery and buy Boob Island of course. I'll still be trying my hardest to get the job I've always wanted, doubtful I'd ever get it but trying my hardest is good enough for me.

"I used to hate training but I told myself, suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." (Muhammad Ali)

Any job nowadays is valuable, regardless of the pay. Although 5 years is future and I can't tell where I'll be or what I'll be doing, I'll be trying my hardest to do whatever I've always wanted.

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Everyone wants to be a web developer.

It's a poop job and you gotta have a team(designer, coder, programmer, copywriter, managers... seo and ux experts, well these last two not so much,they are usually bunch of stupid idiots, but you still gotta have someone who actually understands the people that are going to be visiting those websites, people tend to think designer is the person, and sometimes, very rarely, it is, but in most cases designer knows poop, makes something eye catchy, up userwise useless) of talented people to actually make a great website a make good money.

Besides who knows where the web is gonna be in five years.

Being in the industry myself and actually working with and for the best studios in the country, I'm trying my best not to have to do the same job in five years. And I know others are trying hard too. Everyone is working on their own products / services / startups.. to make shitload of cash of it while you still can.

It's their mistake to make. The real talent is all in engineering, not building websites. That just happens to be the medium of expression here. You can make an OpenGL based game in a browser, but it's not much related to marking up some HTML and CSS and gluing it to Rails or some PHP framework on the back-end. You can also build highly interactive, responsive, powerful software in the browser, and it's equally dissimilar to both of those. As a platform, the "web" isn't about web pages, at all. It's just a platform for engineering solutions that are much more accessible than anything that has ever existed, and that's where it's going.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
Hopefully i'll be a coppa' (Police)

duck da police.

On a serious note, being where I'd like to be; Japan. I can speak some Japanese, but not write. I'd love to visit there, if not live there and study their cultures, cities, foods etc. Not the way you normally would, but by actually witnessing and understanding them in person.

Reaction score
Hopefully about to sell my company off and live happy ever after.
However, more likely, still working on making the company bigger and better :p...

Back