Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

How much impact did Education do to your job?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Got a degree in photography. Work in customer services. I guess my second job as a photographer it helped towards :p

Reaction score
I would say it depends on the size of the company. The smaller the company, the more diverse number of roles you can get involved in. I have two jobs, one I am helping an architect try to essentially save lives in Africa, I was recruited because of my degree in sustainable design, though my original focus was on electronics, still stuff from that has come in useful. My other job is as a quality engineer as a fairly small factory. You'd think what could that have to do with design and electronics, but so far I've reverse engineered their production system to input data from tablets, created a clock in system using RFID chips, restructured the warehouse that can now use qr codes from bays, and I'm in the process of designing sustainability improvements, also helping with ECAD for project managing... While also doing quality engineering too, and it support of course. Quite simply there isn't enough people to have one role for each person, or really enough work.

I guess in a larger business you will only use specific parts or your education, but then it also depends on the degree. I'm likely an odd case as they now trust me enough that I can pursue pretty much rnd activity and know that I'll end up saving them money, I'm guessing its in the 6 figures by this point.

Just choose a degree with a high demand. Pretty much any engineering course and you will be fine. From what I've heard companies are now offering jobs to 2nd year students at decent uni doing decent engineering degrees, so yeah. If it wasn't worth doing they wouldn't be doing that right?...

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Education is knowledge. Knowledge helps you move forward. Education helps you gain knowledge; of course education is not the only way. You can get knowledge from doing hands on things, but you will be "educated" about that certain subject.

I gain knowledge from the classes I have taken. Will I need a degree to get higher in my job? Yes, but I will be learning most of the things by doing the job than from education from an institution.

Preparing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Education does help in some ways.
But getting only degrees is not enough.
You need to have a few things which are really important.
Skills and Character.
The way you approach, the way you mingle with others etc.

Reaction score
I left school at sixteen with basic qualifications, but because I had my industry qualification of a black belt and a great relationship with my coach, I was offered a job that started right after my GCSE's.

So, full of hormones off I went into the world of work with ten GCSE's, and one ultra specific only recognised in part of the martial arts industry "qualification." Tbh it went pretty well, I was never on huge money as I could have spent much more time promoting myself for private lessons, but it offered me the lifestyle I wanted.

However, after a decade of running around with no shoes on, traveling the world and being a general vagabond, I want to get a degree of my own. My wife has a year left in her study of speech and language therapy, it's a pretty in demand role and should land her a job pretty quick. When we're done here I'll be doing an access to higher education course or two then going to uni myself. I'm really feeling some kind of sport science because I'd love to go so in depth and eventually do my own research. But I'm also thinking of doing something completely different, either way I would go for a course that carries weight for high paid positions.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With me I left school with all my GCSE's too, then went on to 6th form and got my A/s levels and A levels in music art and psychology. Then I went on to collage and did NVQ2 Chilecare and NVQ2 Playworker, gave up on that when I moved. moved to canada, attended U of A (University of Alberta where I then did my CompTIA A+Certification server and networking.)

tbh the only qualification I actually have that is relevent to what I do is prob my CompTIA...lol although the course was mostly to do with the hardware side binary coding and set up and trouble shooting of issues...lol

does come in handy now n then tho :p

Reaction score
I myself graduated, i took computer science but i am working and pursuing to become a professional barista xD everytime i am on a job interview i saw the faces of the HR and i feel that they was like "you witch finish computer science and you are in the food and beverages field?! Wtf" hahaha thats funny for real coz its true but for me everything can be learn on the actual job. :)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I myself graduated, i took computer science but i am working and pursuing to become a professional barista xD everytime i am on a job interview i saw the faces of the HR and i feel that they was like "you witch finish computer science and you are in the food and beverages field?! Wtf" hahaha thats funny for real coz its true but for me everything can be learn on the actual job. :)

Exactly my thoughts. I like it better if courses were made to be done practically instead of how things are done theoretically.

Reaction score
I would say it depends on the size of the company. The smaller the company, the more diverse number of roles you can get involved in. I have two jobs, one I am helping an architect try to essentially save lives in Africa, I was recruited because of my degree in sustainable design, though my original focus was on electronics, still stuff from that has come in useful. My other job is as a quality engineer as a fairly small factory. You'd think what could that have to do with design and electronics, but so far I've reverse engineered their production system to input data from tablets, created a clock in system using RFID chips, restructured the warehouse that can now use qr codes from bays, and I'm in the process of designing sustainability improvements, also helping with ECAD for project managing... While also doing quality engineering too, and it support of course. Quite simply there isn't enough people to have one role for each person, or really enough work.

I guess in a larger business you will only use specific parts or your education, but then it also depends on the degree. I'm likely an odd case as they now trust me enough that I can pursue pretty much rnd activity and know that I'll end up saving them money, I'm guessing its in the 6 figures by this point.

Just choose a degree with a high demand. Pretty much any engineering course and you will be fine. From what I've heard companies are now offering jobs to 2nd year students at decent uni doing decent engineering degrees, so yeah. If it wasn't worth doing they wouldn't be doing that right?...
Sorry for going off topic man, but you're helping save lives in Africa? That's awesome man. Would love to hear more about it.

Reaction score
Sorry for going off topic man, but you're helping save lives in Africa? That's awesome man. Would love to hear more about it.
Essentially we designs a multifunction building that tries to provide as many resources as possible for the local community. Power via solar/wind/anaerobic digestion, water filtering/storage, some agricultural aspects. The building itself we have designs for health centres/ schools/ community centres depending on the community. My local university has really helped support it too as they want to do research on the impact it has, one of the main members of the team is from the health and wellbeing department so he's really pushing for that aspect, he does a lot with infectious diseases. We're also planning a project in Nigeria for conflict resolution between Muslims and Christians.

Sadly its frustratingly slow work as there's very little incentive for anyone with the capitol/power to help. There are many good causes and too few donors. The amount of presentations and documents we need to write when all we want to do is design and help people drives me nuts.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe 60% is a fair rating. I don't actually find it being such an huge impact but its a great knowledge to share with others.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
I have a master's in software engineering / science (ahem, well, will have when I bother to complete the last few credits some day). I'd say my everyday skills I've learned on my own and at work as I go, but education has allowed me to learn them faster and to have better judgement when posed with choices. Studying sciences has definitely altered my interests as well for better and for worse which shows for example in what kind of tech articles I read which in turn affects my view about the industry and my choices for the tools (i.e. languages, frameworks etc.) I use every day. It's made me more attentive to detail, correctness and elegance of software I write in contrast to being a self-taught programmer who might more often favor dirty hacks and what's the easiest option in spite of quality. It's given me bigger-scale understanding about concepts like computational complexity and software architecture, something that is hard to come by just by doing what you do, looking at individual code lines from day to day.

Web Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Education hasn't helped me with my job. I left school with basic GCSE qualifications the normal person achieves e.g Maths C, English C etc and without receiving the rest of my results I've been taken on for a Front-end website development apprenticeship, because I self-taught myself as an head start.

Basically, Education never helped me. However I was required to have C in English and Maths to be taken on.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I studied computer science in college but left it unfinished because I was getting increasingly frustrated and impatient, the way education worked was revolting, because we had a short time limit to write a novel's worth of text and code on paper and I frequently failed because I couldn't finish so quickly. I quit and became a software engineer.

I can say for certain that the piece of paper called diploma would help you and even give you a bigger salary, but in the end, what you learn at school barely scrapes the surface of what you need to know if you want to do well at your job. Many graduates of IT don't know half of what they need to know. So learn on your own and try to make your hobby your job.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Education does help in some ways.
But getting only degrees is not enough.
You need to have a few things which are really important.
Skills and Character.
The way you approach, the way you mingle with others etc.

totally agree.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Just a little. I am a English major, but i am doing technical job now. I only use my major to read some texts, thus i have forgot many knowledge. When I was working, I learn more to have a good relationship with my colleagues and social contact.

Reaction score
If you're going to specialize in a field school is important - I studied accounting and the only thing that really helped was the forced need to build a habit of working long hours and to utilize critical thinking. If you're getting a general business degree I don't see school really helping. School helped a lot tbh.

Back