Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Majors?

Reaction score
I'm currently about 1.5 years away from studying. I'm trying to get an internship at a GP's practice somewhere in the UK at the moment, as well as going to do some volunteer work at the Cardiology department of a big hospital here. Plus pretty much anything that'll come my way. All in preparation of me wanting to study Medicine in due time.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
my major is Computer Science (112 hrs)

writing operating systems, compilers, etc

computers are a window to the world

I can see anything, talk to anyone, possibilities are almost unlimited

TV, stereos, dvd players, telephones, etc., are...quite frankly...now yard sale trash

PUT A INTEGRATED CIRCUIT CHIP INTO MY BRAIN SO I DONT HAVE TO TYPE!!!!

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm currently about 1.5 years away from studying. I'm trying to get an internship at a GP's practice somewhere in the UK at the moment, as well as going to do some volunteer work at the Cardiology department of a big hospital here. Plus pretty much anything that'll come my way. All in preparation of me wanting to study Medicine in due time.

That's awesome, I got a friend who's studying medicine too in pharm school. So you're going to become like a pharmacist?

my major is Computer Science (112 hrs)

writing operating systems, compilers, etc

computers are a window to the world

I can see anything, talk to anyone, possibilities are almost unlimited

TV, stereos, dvd players, telephones, etc., are...quite frankly...now yard sale trash

PUT A INTEGRATED CIRCUIT CHIP INTO MY BRAIN SO I DONT HAVE TO TYPE!!!!

I'm not a fan of the integrated chip into the brain thing. That's really weird and there really is no purpose for it. I feel like that will make the government know everything we do, basically an obstruction of freedom. So is this new thing google is making where you can see what anyone is doing at that time. Forgot what it was called but that is wayyy too weird, knowing what someone is doing, seeing it from his/her perspective. No freedom at all.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have a degree in medieval and early modern history, which I guess is about as far from anything 'techy' as you can get.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Degree in math. :eek:. Hmm what you planning to do with it? Math professor? I never knew what you can do with a math degree. :p
Well you see your degree is a paper. What you can do is a very separate thing from that and further what you choose to do yet another.
I'm currently a software engineer and that's probably what I'll continue doing forever. I'm one of the few actual software engineers on this forum (the only?).
That's an interesting statement.. what do you mean by being an actual software engineer in this context?

I have a Bachelor's with Software Engineering major and Discrete Maths minor, my Master's is Software Science major and Distributed Software minor. While all of them are related to, none properly define what I do at work though. I could do some sort of research based on what I've studied but I prefer working with people and creating something that makes lives easier if only by a little.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I'm not actually in college, but I take a vocational in computer science and I'll be majoring in law enforcement. Hoping to do some cool butt poop with both of those.

Reaction score
Currently in 3rd year for Computer Science. I do plan on getting my masters sooner or later, mainly because of my interest in computational theories etc.

Reaction score
I guess you could call it a major in Sustainable Design, and a minor in Electronic Engineering. I'm planning to do a Masters in Renewable Energy and Sustainable Building Design in September, if I can save up enough to afford it.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well you see your degree is a paper. What you can do is a very separate thing from that and further what you choose to do yet another.
That's an interesting statement.. what do you mean by being an actual software engineer in this context?

I have a Bachelor's with Software Engineering major and Discrete Maths minor, my Master's is Software Science major and Distributed Software minor. While all of them are related to, none properly define what I do at work though. I could do some sort of research based on what I've studied but I prefer working with people and creating something that makes lives easier if only by a little.

Well technically the higher the degree, the better job you'll get and more chance that you won't get fired, no?

I'm not actually in college, but I take a vocational in computer science and I'll be majoring in law enforcement. Hoping to do some cool butt poop with both of those.

That's cool, did you decide on which college you're going to?

Currently in 3rd year for Computer Science. I do plan on getting my masters sooner or later, mainly because of my interest in computational theories etc.

Damnn a lot of computer science :p. So what you planning on doing after you get your masters?

I guess you could call it a major in Sustainable Design, and a minor in Electronic Engineering. I'm planning to do a Masters in Renewable Energy and Sustainable Building Design in September, if I can save up enough to afford it.

Interesting, never heard of major in sustainable design. What do they do? :eek:

More like a type of doctor. Not decided which... Will have about 6 years to do so when I start ;)

That's a lottttt of schooling :p Good luck though! Hope for the best!

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score

s/actual/professional/ :D

I forget that Madison is also a professional engineer, so the only is incorrect, but one of few!

And I mean employed by a legitimate company, solving hard problems with a real engineering environment and real production values with deadlines, bosses, presentations, lots of research, code maintenance, etc. When people around here code up an emulator then sell access to a server, they've done the easiest part of software engineering in most cases, and that's writing code. Architecturally they're usually abhorrent, they're untested, full of massive flaws both in logic and in security, they don't typically follow a software development schedule of any kind, they only deal with major bugs but don't consider the concept of regressions and tests, they rarely do profiling and instead try to optimize prematurely, etc. That's unacceptable for the vast majority of professional work.

Well technically the higher the degree, the better job you'll get and more chance that you won't get fired, no?

That highly depends on the subject. But in general, it's not correct. The only reason you go for a Ph.D. is if you're in a research field or you plan to be a professor. Otherwise a masters is almost always the cap as far as benefits go towards a career. In some careers, those extra 2 years are actually a net loss, and even some of the undergrad is a net loss.

Though if you enjoy it, that's reason enough to go as far as you want. Money isn't everything.

HAARP
Reaction score
Nothing for me but my brother is big on technology and is going to college for mechanical engineering, possibly for the air force. He's really into technology and absolutely can't wait until the future, unfortunately. He doesn't care about his natural human existence and his time as a human and seems as though he only sees the bad things about being a human, so he wants to 'transfer his conscious' and his brain into a robot body basically becoming a robot and no longer being a human being, what he was born as. He doesn't enjoy the time he has now and takes it for granted since literally all he cares about is technology and being some heartless robot.

I hate it, he thinks technology is the answer for everything in the universe and believes in 25-50 years we'll 'be able to live forever' and pretty much do anything we want anywhere we want. I agree with you haxor about how technology makes us closed in, once you get into it you eventually become blind by it and believe that it can do anything. Technology has only drawn my brother farther away from what he is above all, a human being. I mean he's always talking about how we can replicate human DNA and make computers out of it, or about how we can eventually not only transfer our brain out of our body into a robot, but also our conscious. He's very vain to put it briskly. And all he does is read a bunch of internet articles which is the worst part, he sits online all day reading bs articles and now he thinks he knows everything, like Sheldon from the big bang theory. What it boils down to is he puts technology over human beings in every aspect, when technology wouldn't even exist without human beings.

The only articles your friend reads are those about the terminator movies. To graduate and receive his statistically guaranteed certification the only thing he has to do is pass the class on dicking around with the sulfur.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
s/actual/professional/ :D

I forget that Madison is also a professional engineer, so the only is incorrect, but one of few!

And I mean employed by a legitimate company, solving hard problems with a real engineering environment and real production values with deadlines, bosses, presentations, lots of research, code maintenance, etc. When people around here code up an emulator then sell access to a server, they've done the easiest part of software engineering in most cases, and that's writing code. Architecturally they're usually abhorrent, they're untested, full of massive flaws both in logic and in security, they don't typically follow a software development schedule of any kind, they only deal with major bugs but don't consider the concept of regressions and tests, they rarely do profiling and instead try to optimize prematurely, etc. That's unacceptable for the vast majority of professional work.
Well by that definition that makes 3 of us. Obviously there are more but I can't remember who, either.

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The only articles your friend reads are those about the terminator movies. To graduate and receive his statistically guaranteed certification the only thing he has to do is pass the class on dicking around with the sulfur.

You mean brother and unfortunately you're probably correct.

Reaction score
Interesting, never heard of major in sustainable design. What do they do? :eek:

My BSc was a mix of product design stuff, and general sustainable issues (like reducing energy usage, and renewable energy). My project I essentially designed a concept for a tablet PC which would run something like and link it to a cloud/home PC. This was before tablet PCs became popular, and I have no doubt it's the direction most will take once the internet is reliable enough for those cloud OS to start selling well. Seriously, a tablet with 6+ hours battery life that has the processing capacity of a decent desktop PC, and generally uses a lot less power.

What I do now is design sustainable buildings, or rather help with the engineering aspects of them. I'm working with a local Uni (they are doing the research, to prove sustainable buildings are worth doing), and we are hoping to start rolling out our concept with 3 southern African countries in the next 6 months. We have a fair few big companies who are just waiting for one of the governments we are currently presenting to to give us the OK.

Is the course I'm planning to study in September. I really feel out matched right now, everyone I'm working with seems to have Masters degrees or PhDs, or just general Dr's (health and well being plays a big role).

duck You
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting into criminal justice. ;D

Back