Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The main purpose of this thread is so I can log and update my progress and 'to do' list while showing the select few who like cars what I've been up to.

So this is the project. A 1996 pre-facelift Calypso red e36 318i touring. This car is the most poverty spec bmw I've ever owned and is nothing more than an ugly duckling for now. It cost me £320 and it was 12 miles away from my town. This model does not have traction control (ASC) so that's something I don't have to worry about.

The purpose of this build is to make a moderately powerful track car that can still be road legal. Here's a to do list for the car nerds.
General
Full wise-fab kit for extra lock and improved stiffness on the front end (WOL Kit bought (refunded)).
Welded 4.44 auto (stock) differential (Changed to a 3.65).
Stripped non-cage interior with full harnessed bucket seats by Japspeed.
Full polybushed subframe and differential.
Japspeed hydro (e-brake), steering column, 4 pot Brembo brakes all round, coilovers and bucket seats (friend's discount :D).
35mm front spacers (Done).
25mm rear spacers (Done).

Engine
Either an M54B30 swap or an M50B28 (now a 323i m52b25).
Crank from an M54B30.
Pink injectors with M50 manifold (Done).
K&N air filter with maf.
Stage 1 remap with removed rev limiter (7200).
Stage 1 flywheel and clutch system (also Japspeed) with clutch delay valve removed (Done).
Exhaust straight through to the backbox with decat.

I'll be getting some overfenders and wheel spacers for the front end so that it looks a bit more agressive when it hits the track. I will be ticking off the list as time goes on.

Update log
Towbar + wiring removed
Headlining removed
Boot panels removed
Rear seats + seatbelts removed
Arch lining removed
Glove box removed
Door cards removed
-- Updated 18/10/17 --
Radiator, aircon, alarm, prop, diff, drive shafts, rear subframe and all heat shields removed
Front hubs removed
Battery, engine mounts, gearbox mounts and engine loom removed
Exhaust cut out
-- Updated 2/12/17 --
Rear subframe removed
Stocked differential sold
Drive shafts sold
Prop shaft sold
Catalytic Converter weighed in (£96)
Hubs sold
Saloon (blue car) lights, interior, rear lights, steering wheel and headlining sold
-- Updated 6/2/18 --
M44 engine removed from touring

I don't have a deadline but hopefully I'll have this done by the end of 2018.

Updates and pictures to come.
Unphased - Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread - RaGEZONE Forums

Update on angle kits. I was gonna get wisefab but too much money for a budget skidder. Decided on Wizards of Lock ultimate kit until I found a company called 'SAS GB' who do a serious kit for £280, postage included. Pictures below are vehicles with the kit fitted. Everything is bolt on so no fitting issues.

Last edited:
Slothstronaut
Reaction score
Currently 104. After 21 years and 132k mileage it's lost quite a few horses. After I'm done with it however I'm expecting about 300 but I'll be happy with 270.

Not too bad sounding! What kind of motor does it have in it? I'm not completely car mechanic literate but I know a little bit from what my dad has taught me and what I've Googled over the years.

Slothstronaut
Reaction score
Engine is an m44b18 straight 4 cylinder block. They're stubby engines but it's getting something with an extra 2 cylinders lol

What exactly is/does a cylinder do in an engine? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm not exactly 100% on it. From what I remember and what I've looked up before, it's what the piston is housed inside of correct? And 'the more pistons you add' the more power or force you can derive from the engine?

Reaction score
What exactly is/does a cylinder do in an engine? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm not exactly 100% on it. From what I remember and what I've looked up before, it's what the piston is housed inside of correct? And 'the more pistons you add' the more power or force you can derive from the engine?
It houses the pistons yes. The more pistons, the more cylinders.

Slothstronaut
Reaction score
I'm into anything rear wheel drive that smashes the limiter going sideways hahaha

Sounds like fun fun fun :D:

I love muscle cars, my dad has a 1968 Plymouth Fury 3, he's got a 318 V8 in it with cherry bomb mufflers. That car is so badass you can feel it rumble your voice while you sit in the front seat. He said when he gets it legal again and he has the money he's going to put a new cam and new headers on it.

The World Is Yours
Reaction score
Good luck with this project! I wish I could do something similar but it's an expensive hobby :glare:

What else have you got in mind for visual modifications? Are you changing those wheels?

Reaction score
Good luck with this project! I wish I could do something similar but it's an expensive hobby :glare:

What else have you got in mind for visual modifications? Are you changing those wheels?
Thank you. These kind of builds can be expensive but this one is very budget. I'm looking at around 2.5 - 3k in total put into this project.

The car is gonna have clear indicators, an Alpina splitter for the front bumper, no rear bumper as the wheel-well (where the spare wheel is placed under the boot/trunk) is going to be cut out and have an aluminium plate welded over the big hole it'll leave. I may end up fitting bull bars just so I don't crumple my chassis if/when I out it into a wall. Definitely different wheels as I need some with a better offset. Thinking e30/e34 5x120 bbs wheels as they're the perfect offset for what the car is going to be used for. I'm hoping to speak to mental when the time comes and see if he's okay with me ordering a custom RaGEZONE sunstrip. I think the logo and dai would look cool on it. 50mm overfenders for the front, rolled arches on the rear, intake through the headlight (don't know which side yet) and that's about all I can think of for now.

The World Is Yours
Reaction score
Thank you. These kind of builds can be expensive but this one is very budget. I'm looking at around 2.5 - 3k in total put into this project.

The car is gonna have clear indicators, an Alpina splitter for the front bumper, no rear bumper as the wheel-well (where the spare wheel is placed under the boot/trunk) is going to be cut out and have an aluminium plate welded over the big hole it'll leave. I may end up fitting bull bars just so I don't crumple my chassis if/when I out it into a wall. Definitely different wheels as I need some with a better offset. Thinking e30/e34 5x120 bbs wheels as they're the perfect offset for what the car is going to be used for. I'm hoping to speak to mental when the time comes and see if he's okay with me ordering a custom RaGEZONE sunstrip. I think the logo and dai would look cool on it. 50mm overfenders for the front, rolled arches on the rear, intake through the headlight (don't know which side yet) and that's about all I can think of for now.
Damn. I can't wait to see how it will look when it's finished. Be sure to take plenty of pictures as you're progressing! :D:

Reaction score
There may not be much for me to update on for a while as I have to save for a donor car for the engine, loom, gearbox, ecu and prop shaft. Depending on what comes up this could be two weeks away - two months away. I'm expecting to have a donor by the end of August or the beginning of September at the latest. That's about it for now.

Preparing
Reaction score
From 100 to 300. Wow. Good luck to you and your mates.

And what is the total cost of the items that you bought?

Reaction score
Small update

Vented brake disks and bigger calipers fitted to front. Vented are much lighter and stronger compared to standard solids. Also bridged brake pad wear sensor as it was hanging down and causing a light on the dashboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back