Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slothstronaut
Reaction score
Damn wish I could help by donating, but as of now this is my car;

Unphased - Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread - RaGEZONE Forums

Hope you get someone soon though.

Reaction score
Damn wish I could help by donating, but as of now this is my car;

Hope you get someone soon though.
I would never ask for donations. I am financially stable for now lol. I ended up buying a pitbike as a little toy for the fields for 250 so the donor is a little delayed. I don't really care though, I'm not in a rush to get one. Projects don't happen overnight so it's all smooth for now.

Btw your pic doesn't load for me.

Nvm it loaded in the quote lol

Reaction score
UPDATE

I finally found a suitable donor car, she's an Avus Blue BMW 318is saloon with a 323 m52 engine, m50 manifold swapped, limiter raised to 7200, adjustable rear top mounts, polybushed subframes, short shifter and small case welded differential.

I plan to swap everything over except for panels as this is a facelift (post 1997) model made in 1998 and my touring is a pre facelift (pre 1997) so I would have to do a full facelift conversion which I may do in the future.

Reaction score
So I'm selling all the stuff I don't need from both vehicles.

M-Sport bumper, very sought after
Nose cone
Open 4.44 diff DEPOSIT TAKEN
Bonnet
Lights
Doors
M-Sport skirts, very sought after
Black leather interior, very sought after
Black door cards, very sought after
Fully auto sunroof
1.8 auto getrag gearbox

Should hopefully give me the funds to finally buy my own engine crane so I can make a start on the conversion. For anyone who hasn't followed this much I'm doing a 1.8 auto - 2.5 manual conversion to the highest spec I can do without turbo/supercharger. I'm hoping for nearly 300whp but I'll be happy with 270.

More to come.

Reaction score
Wizards Of Lock kit is on the way!

This kit is designed and machined to give the car additional steering to the front wheels. This is important in the drifting motorsport as it allows you to push the car further sideways without spinning out.

Image #1 is the kit in question which includes brand new e46 extended arms, modified hubs, 4mm rack spacers, e92 inner tie rods, bushings and a neat wizards of lock sticker.

Image #2 is an example of how much steering angle the kit gives a vehicle.

Next steps are to remove all 4 hubs from both vehicles as wizards of lock buy them meaning I'll be getting this kit for only £200!

That's all for now.

Reaction score
So I finally got the touring down to my unit thanks to a friend who had his truck at the time.

Since she's where she belongs, I've dropped the engine with the front subframe however there were a few things I missed.

Engine loom is still connected which requires removing the dash board to reach the connections. Ecu has been removed.

My plan was to raise the front end of the vehicle and pull the engine out from under. However due to the instability of the axle stands it will be easier for me to remove the entire front end and pull it out.

The donor car is stripped and has gone to scrap.

Reaction score
Trying to keep updates at a minimal as I don't want to clog up OW with my car poop.

1.8 auto engine + gearbox removed and scrapped
Wizards of lock kit cancelled. SAS GB kit is a lot better and is on back-order due to the huge amount of orders they've recieved recently.
Subframes are ready to get sand blasted then powder coated in brilliant white.
M52B25 engine is ready for head teardown.
EWS system bridged.
Air con system removed.

Next to do:
Make room in the garage to fit the touring in.
Buy all new bushings/mounts for subframes, gearbox, diff, trailing arms and prop donut.
Dry-ice the inside of the touring shell to remove all sound-deadening.
Find a purple tag steering rack from a bmw e46.
Buy overfenders from Unique Customs UK.
Find a full 328 stainless exhaust system.
Strip wiring to minimal.
Buy bigger front brakes from a 330/335

My hope to have this done for the end of this year has faded. This will probably still be going in 2020 lol.

That's it for now.

UPDATE - So the bmw gurus over at e36kings explained a lot about my wiring. The only thing I need to change is the reverse lights as they are wired to the auto loom, manual are on a switch when reverse gear is selected.

With the angle kit, the purple tag steering rack is 100% necessary and will give even more lock with e90/e92 inner tie rods as they are longer than e36 rods. The steering rack responds to the turn of the wheel a lot faster than the stock rack. Basically it will take less turns of the steering wheel to turn the front wheels which is a huge benefit to transitions during a drift.

The EWS is simple but can only be explained via PM as it's basically a way of shutting off the vehicle's security system completely. Making this public is very frowned upon in the bmw community for obvious reasons. I already know how to bypass this system but someone explained a much easier solution to it.

Someone mentioned about trailing arm reinforcements which I never took any thought to. Where the arms bolt to the chassis are prone to corrosion and could potentially rip the entire mount from the chassis when under stress. To avoid this, I'll be welding new plates for the arms to bolt to. This should eliminate that problem from ever occuring.

Subframe reinforcements will come after. I'm still 50/50 on this as they're not really necessary unless you're running big lock and big power. I will only be running big lock, the 2.5 isn't capable of big power unless turbo'd which I'd never do because 1, I'm poor and 2, aluminium 2.5 + boost = rip bottom end. A standard 2.5 is 170bhp, add the m50 manifold, 190bhp, US M3 cams, 220bhp maybe. The mapped ecu probably adds about 15hp.

Engine mounts have played on my mind for a while. I want strong mounts that will handle the thrashing but don't want sold aluminium mounts due to the vibrations they send through the vehicle. Turns out e34 (5 series) engine mounts are the best for that. Solid hard rubber to eliminate those vibrations.

That's it for now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Drop an ls in it

If you think LS swaps are common here in the UK, you're greatly mistaken. Only champion/bdc spec cars run those here and that's because they're paid for by sponsors. The only real v8 swap I could do is an m62b44 which I thought of doing but the manual gearboxes (e39 m5 6 speed) are money way beyond my reach.

I finally made the decision to go m52b25 turbo. Much easier than a full blown conversion as the blocks drop straight in. My m52 was stripped down and rebuilt with a forged crank from the m52b28 and a new head gasket 5000 miles ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back