Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    The urban explorer Unphased is offline
    SubscriberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    01942Location
    1,344Posts

    Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread


    RaGEZONE Recommends

    RaGEZONE Recommends

    Before anyone says anything this is a car project so I don't expect much feedback as 99.9% of the community do not relate to vehicles, especially build projects. The main purpose of this thread is so I can log and update my progress and 'to do' list while showing the select few who like cars what I've been up to.

    So this is the project. A 1996 pre-facelift Calypso red e36 318i touring. This car is the most poverty spec bmw I've ever owned and is nothing more than an ugly duckling for now. It cost me £320 and it was 12 miles away from my town. This model does not have traction control (ASC) so that's something I don't have to worry about.

    The purpose of this build is to make a moderately powerful track car that can still be road legal. Here's a to do list for the car nerds.
    Spoiler:

    General
    Full wise-fab kit for extra lock and improved stiffness on the front end.
    Welded 4.44 auto (stock) differential.
    Stripped non-cage interior with full harnessed bucket seats by Japspeed.
    Full polybushed subframe and differential.
    Japspeed hydro (e-brake), steering column, 4 pot Brembo brakes all round, coilovers and bucket seats (friend's discount :D).

    Engine
    Either an M54B30 swap or an M50B28.
    Crank from an M54B30.
    Pink injectors with M50 manifold.
    K&N air filter with maf.
    Stage 1 remap with removed rev limiter (7200).
    Stage 1 flywheel and clutch system (also Japspeed) with clutch delay valve removed.
    Exhaust straight through to the backbox with decat.


    I'll be getting some overfenders and wheel spacers for the front end so that it looks a bit more agressive when it hits the track. I will be ticking off the list as time goes on.

    Update log
    Towbar + wiring removed
    Headlining removed
    Boot panels removed
    Rear seats + seatbelts removed
    Arch lining removed
    Glove box removed
    Door cards removed

    I don't have a deadline but hopefully I'll have this done by the end of 2018.

    Updates and pictures to come.

    Hate me? It's mutual.
    The sound of your body hittin' the ground would be beautiful,
    I'm an immovable object in god's head,
    And there's still weed in my cuticles.



  2. #2
    Gamma Justice For All is offline
    GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,201Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    How many horsies does that purty baby have?

  3. #3
    The urban explorer Unphased is offline
    SubscriberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    01942Location
    1,344Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    How many horsies does that purty baby have?
    Currently 104. After 21 years and 132k mileage it's lost quite a few horses. After I'm done with it however I'm expecting about 300 but I'll be happy with 270.

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

    Hate me? It's mutual.
    The sound of your body hittin' the ground would be beautiful,
    I'm an immovable object in god's head,
    And there's still weed in my cuticles.


  4. #4
    Gamma Justice For All is offline
    GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,201Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unphased View Post
    Currently 104. After 21 years and 132k mileage it's lost quite a few horses. After I'm done with it however I'm expecting about 300 but I'll be happy with 270.

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
    Not too bad sounding! What kind of motor does it have in it? I'm not completely car mechanic literate but I know a little bit from what my dad has taught me and what I've Googled over the years.

  5. #5
    The urban explorer Unphased is offline
    SubscriberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    01942Location
    1,344Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    Engine is an m44b18 straight 4 cylinder block. They're stubby engines but it's getting something with an extra 2 cylinders lol

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

    Hate me? It's mutual.
    The sound of your body hittin' the ground would be beautiful,
    I'm an immovable object in god's head,
    And there's still weed in my cuticles.


  6. #6
    Gamma Justice For All is offline
    GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,201Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unphased View Post
    Engine is an m44b18 straight 4 cylinder block. They're stubby engines but it's getting something with an extra 2 cylinders lol

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
    What exactly is/does a cylinder do in an engine? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm not exactly 100% on it. From what I remember and what I've looked up before, it's what the piston is housed inside of correct? And 'the more pistons you add' the more power or force you can derive from the engine?

  7. #7
    The urban explorer Unphased is offline
    SubscriberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    01942Location
    1,344Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Justice For All View Post
    What exactly is/does a cylinder do in an engine? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm not exactly 100% on it. From what I remember and what I've looked up before, it's what the piston is housed inside of correct? And 'the more pistons you add' the more power or force you can derive from the engine?
    It houses the pistons yes. The more pistons, the more cylinders.

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

    Hate me? It's mutual.
    The sound of your body hittin' the ground would be beautiful,
    I'm an immovable object in god's head,
    And there's still weed in my cuticles.


  8. #8
    Gamma Justice For All is offline
    GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,201Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unphased View Post
    It houses the pistons yes. The more pistons, the more cylinders.

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
    Gotcha.

    So what is your favorite kind of car? You into muscle cars exotic cars or what?

  9. #9
    The urban explorer Unphased is offline
    SubscriberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    01942Location
    1,344Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    I'm into anything rear wheel drive that smashes the limiter going sideways hahaha

    I like retro classics. Old Lexus ls400, e38 740iL stuff like that.
    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

    Hate me? It's mutual.
    The sound of your body hittin' the ground would be beautiful,
    I'm an immovable object in god's head,
    And there's still weed in my cuticles.


  10. #10
    Gamma Justice For All is offline
    GammaRank
    Aug 2011 Join Date
    Relative to YouLocation
    3,201Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unphased View Post
    I'm into anything rear wheel drive that smashes the limiter going sideways hahaha

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
    Sounds like fun fun fun

    I love muscle cars, my dad has a 1968 Plymouth Fury 3, he's got a 318 V8 in it with cherry bomb mufflers. That car is so badass you can feel it rumble your voice while you sit in the front seat. He said when he gets it legal again and he has the money he's going to put a new cam and new headers on it.

  11. #11
    γ PixelPro is offline
    GammaRank
    Jun 2007 Join Date
    UKLocation
    3,339Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    Good luck with this project! I wish I could do something similar but it's an expensive hobby

    What else have you got in mind for visual modifications? Are you changing those wheels?

  12. #12
    The urban explorer Unphased is offline
    SubscriberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    01942Location
    1,344Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PixelPro View Post
    Good luck with this project! I wish I could do something similar but it's an expensive hobby

    What else have you got in mind for visual modifications? Are you changing those wheels?
    Thank you. These kind of builds can be expensive but this one is very budget. I'm looking at around 2.5 - 3k in total put into this project.

    The car is gonna have clear indicators, an Alpina splitter for the front bumper, no rear bumper as the wheel-well (where the spare wheel is placed under the boot/trunk) is going to be cut out and have an aluminium plate welded over the big hole it'll leave. I may end up fitting bull bars just so I don't crumple my chassis if/when I out it into a wall. Definitely different wheels as I need some with a better offset. Thinking e30/e34 5x120 bbs wheels as they're the perfect offset for what the car is going to be used for. I'm hoping to speak to mental when the time comes and see if he's okay with me ordering a custom RaGEZONE sunstrip. I think the logo and dai would look cool on it. 50mm overfenders for the front, rolled arches on the rear, intake through the headlight (don't know which side yet) and that's about all I can think of for now.

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

    Hate me? It's mutual.
    The sound of your body hittin' the ground would be beautiful,
    I'm an immovable object in god's head,
    And there's still weed in my cuticles.


  13. #13
    γ PixelPro is offline
    GammaRank
    Jun 2007 Join Date
    UKLocation
    3,339Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Unphased View Post
    Thank you. These kind of builds can be expensive but this one is very budget. I'm looking at around 2.5 - 3k in total put into this project.

    The car is gonna have clear indicators, an Alpina splitter for the front bumper, no rear bumper as the wheel-well (where the spare wheel is placed under the boot/trunk) is going to be cut out and have an aluminium plate welded over the big hole it'll leave. I may end up fitting bull bars just so I don't crumple my chassis if/when I out it into a wall. Definitely different wheels as I need some with a better offset. Thinking e30/e34 5x120 bbs wheels as they're the perfect offset for what the car is going to be used for. I'm hoping to speak to mental when the time comes and see if he's okay with me ordering a custom RaGEZONE sunstrip. I think the logo and dai would look cool on it. 50mm overfenders for the front, rolled arches on the rear, intake through the headlight (don't know which side yet) and that's about all I can think of for now.

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
    Damn. I can't wait to see how it will look when it's finished. Be sure to take plenty of pictures as you're progressing!

  14. #14
    The urban explorer Unphased is offline
    SubscriberRank
    Jul 2012 Join Date
    01942Location
    1,344Posts

    Re: Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    There may not be much for me to update on for a while as I have to save for a donor car for the engine, loom, gearbox, ecu and prop shaft. Depending on what comes up this could be two weeks away - two months away. I'm expecting to have a donor by the end of August or the beginning of September at the latest. That's about it for now.

    Hate me? It's mutual.
    The sound of your body hittin' the ground would be beautiful,
    I'm an immovable object in god's head,
    And there's still weed in my cuticles.


  15. #15
    The best JPride is offline
    ModeratorRank
    Sep 2013 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    425Posts

    Project Calypsorot - A drift build thread

    I've had this side waysssss





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advertisement