Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Question about stroke-engines

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In a 4-stroke engine, there are 4 strokes, or stages, rather. The first stage is intake, where air is drawn in and mixed with fuel. The second stage is compression, where the air-fuel mixture is compressed to increase power output and the 'explosive' energy. The third stage is combustion, where a spark plug (or in diesel engines, just extremely high pressures) ignite the air-fuel mixture to create an explosion (or chemical energy) which in turn, pushes the pistons and turns the crankshaft which results in mechanical energy. The fourth and final stage, is the exhaust, where the air-fuel mixture is now expended through the exhaust hole and in a different state of matter than the original.

But it is still in a state of matter with usable energy, right? So, according to the laws of thermodynamics, if energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only transformed, than could you create a sort of 'recycling' stroke in an engine, to 'recycle' and 'reuse' the expended exhause energy (the chemical energy of the fuel/air mixture being combusted)? Perhaps, taking the exhaust smoke, cooling and compressing it again, adding more fuel to it and combusting it once more? Or would this be too inefficient and not really even do anything in the end result of the whole matter?

Thanks!​

Reaction score
Another interesting thread :)

You must keep in mind though, that the majority of the energy is transferred from the combustion to the piston, to the crankshaft etc. through to the wheels of the vehicle.

Some energy is also transferred as heat due to friction. The remaining energy after complete engine consumption is too little to make significant or rather "cost effective" recycling possible.

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Another interesting thread :)

You must keep in mind though, that the majority of the energy is transferred from the combustion to the piston, to the crankshaft etc. through to the wheels of the vehicle.

Some energy is also transferred as heat due to friction. The remaining energy after complete engine consumption is too little to make significant or rather "cost effective" recycling possible.

Aah see I didn't take into consideration the energy that is lost or transformed into a different state of energy... I figured it was something like that otherwise somebody else would've already thought of it and invented it lmao

I nevur have original ideus :(

Reaction score
Aah see I didn't take into consideration the energy that is lost or transformed into a different state of energy... I figured it was something like that otherwise somebody else would've already thought of it and invented it lmao

I nevur have original ideus :(

Like some famous person said : "It is better to have tried and fail, than to never have tried at all".

Original ideas often come from trying/understanding many of the old ideas first :)

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Like some famous person said : "It is better to have tried and fail, than to never have tried at all".

Original ideas often come from trying/understanding many of the old ideas first :)

Very true, it's just discouraging when everything you think of somebody else has already thought of you know?

Also, thanks for the new signature quote! :D:

ignition sequence start
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Some engines do reuse exhaust gases. Some Diesel engines have what is called EGR which basically re-uses some of the already combusted fuel and puts it back into the intake from the exhaust manifold. However a lot of people take them out as they can slowly cause harm to the engine. They then replace the egr with a blank plate. These are very common on the m47 (320d) and m57 (330d) e46 engines.

Back