Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Question about time travel

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So, according to , not only is the speed of light the same for all non-accelerating observers, but the faster you go and the closer you get to the speed of light, the 'slower' time appears to the observer. This is related to something called .

Time dilation is a difference of time passed by two observers moving relative to each other or situated differently from gravitational masses such as planets, stars, etc. etc. For example; an astronaut on the ISS (International Space Station) orbits around the Earth at approximately 17,000 MPH. (The Earth spins at approximately 1,000 MPH) The astronaut is traveling nearly 17 times faster than separate observers on Earth!

So now keeping the relation between space and time ( , if you do not know what Spacetime is, it is basically the calculation that Space and Time are essentially the same thing) in mind, as-well as Einstein's theory of general relativity with the speed of light, if you were to somehow travel at the speed of light (186,000 Miles per second!) relative to your perception, how would time behave?

Here is an interesting read related to this that gives great examples and explanations;

Last edited:
That one pokemon thing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I've seen some theories about moving that fast that time would be going backwards, or be at a complete standstill. However, if you were to go back to before you went that fast that your time would flow backwards, wouldn't that create a paradox, as you haven't seen yourself the first time?

In all honesty, as cool as it sounds, I doubt that we are ever meant to do this.

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Time travel into the future is theoretically possible, you can read this in many sources; but on the other hand time travel into the past is definitively impossible. The best way to prove this is with the example that making a time machine and traveling back in time you could prevent yourself from making this said time machine - thus time travel into the past impossible. If you want I can provide you with some sources that say that time travel into the past is for sure impossible, but traveling into the future is theoretically possible :):

Rogu3
Reaction score
Time travel into the future is theoretically possible, you can read this in many sources; but on the other hand time travel into the past is definitively impossible. The best way to prove this is with the example that making a time machine and traveling back in time you could prevent yourself from making this said time machine - thus time travel into the past impossible. If you want I can provide you with some sources that say that time travel into the past is for sure impossible, but traveling into the future is theoretically possible :):
Nothing is impossible. What's truly impossible is to prove the impossibility of anything. I'm not saying that the scientific evidence means nothing. But science never ceases to disprove itself. Anything is possible. We say right now that it's impossible to travel back in time, but theoretically possible to travel forward in time. But maybe if and when it becomes physically possible to physically (or even mentally / spiritually, however it may work) travel forward in time, we will discover that it is in fact possible to travel backwards in time. We see time as a two dimensional plane (it can only go forward and backward), but maybe to truly travel in it we have to view it as a three dimensional space which is almost impossible to imagine. But to accomplish anything, I think the goal is really to reach past the imagination and the scientific evidence and find the real truth.

I know I just said a bunch of ridiculous shenanigans, but I'm just trying to say that nothing is impossible. I don't care what scientific evidence says. I'm under the personal belief that Science can only prove things, but it has no right to debunk or disprove things.

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say nothing is impossible... It's impossible for me to travel exponentially faster than the speed of light while eating an ice cream cone with no spacesuit on in the vacuum of space. (I think you get my point and where I'm going lol...) But time itself is definitively irreversible - many genius physicists, philosophers, mathematicians and logicians have all said (ranging from Einstein to Stephen Hawking) that time itself is irreversible and it will never be reversible, they've proven this through experiment as-well as theory.

This is due to something called Entropy and the "arrow of time". According to the second law of thermodynamics (law, not guideline or something that's flexible. It's a solid law of thermodynamics) and Entropy, (similar to my law of conservation of energy thread) the isolated energy of a system cannot be destroyed. An example to prove what I am talking about related to time travel into the past, is a log that has been burned to ashes. It took energy to burn the log, but to go back into the past and 'un-burn' the said log, you would need to reverse the energy that was transformed to burn the log and 'recreate' it for lack of a better term.

So I do agree with you to an extent, I see what you're saying when you talk about nothing being impossible... to an extent, nothing is impossible, but certain things are impossible just simply due to the physical laws of the universe that govern them.

[R8]ℓσℓ32
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is possible to go faster than light, going faster than light would be the void. Now about time travelling is possible travel to "past" and "future", by default everyone thinks time is linear having a past, a present and a future just because our perception sees like that. The theory about vertical time is much more solid on explaining how time works. Nonetheless, the published articles lack of many information and time is probably the biggest mystery of universes, with only understanding a very small percent about time you should be able to create a time machine.

Staff member
Reaction score
Even concluding to a time machine I don't think it's even possible due to the fact of us even having knowledge to control or even manipulate time is not even possible. As we may know so much about time it's self we don't know anything about moving through time. < Roughly put together.

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is possible to go faster than light, going faster than light would be the void. Now about time travelling is possible travel to "past" and "future", by default everyone thinks time is linear having a past, a present and a future just because our perception sees like that. The theory about vertical time is much more solid on explaining how time works. Nonetheless, the published articles lack of many information and time is probably the biggest mystery of universes, with only understanding a very small percent about time you should be able to create a time machine.
Faster than light is impossible for sure, Einstein proved this in his famous E=mc2 equation; to travel faster than or as fast as the speed of light would require an infinite amount of energy as the faster you go the more energy you need. (Not only this, but you would essentially create a black hole because you would gather so much mass as energy and mass are interchangeable again according to E=mc2) I guess though I forgot to take into consideration that time (at least as we see it) relies on our perception of it, not what it 'really' is. So perhaps it does not require a vast amount of speed to time travel and there are other ways.

Even concluding to a time machine I don't think it's even possible due to the fact of us even having knowledge to control or even manipulate time is not even possible. As we may know so much about time it's self we don't know anything about moving through time. < Roughly put together.

Scientists and physicists actually know quite a bit about time manipulation nowadays. We knew 100 years ago thanks to Einstein and his theories of general and special relativity that space and time were intimately related - and that time can be warped with enough gravitational mass (Black Holes), or that time could be 'manipulated' with fast enough speeds relative to the observer(s).

Back