Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Urban Exploration - Asbestos Mill, Rochdale (Story Time w/ Pictures)

ignition sequence start
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So yesterday (29th September) me and a few friends decided to go abandoned building hunting and came across a mill in Rochdale, Manchester.

Unphased - Urban Exploration - Asbestos Mill, Rochdale (Story Time w/ Pictures) - RaGEZONE Forums

We were aware that security patrolled the site as we came into contact with one as we walked past the front of the site who simply said 'Hi' and nothing else. We continued around the outskirts of the site and eventually found a gap between a spiked metal fence where someone had clearly cut the railings. We then went through a few bushes which opened out to an old bowlers that was also clearly abandoned. We walked through the bowlers and came out onto the main patrol road of the site, however security was still at the front of the site at this time so we took our chances and moved on into the first building. After looking around we found an archive room full of clock-in/out times for the staff which dated back to 1962. We also found some blueprints but couldn't figure out what they were for. We even found a few old servers there. Further into the building was a hallway of bulky machinery and barrels of what looked like fiberglass.

Unphased - Urban Exploration - Asbestos Mill, Rochdale (Story Time w/ Pictures) - RaGEZONE Forums

To get into the second building, we had to walk over a roof and climb a not so stable ladder that went up into the building that we later found out was actually separate to the first, this one was actually owned by Ford who built their cars there in the 70-80s. We found some documents that explained this in one of the old offices. We managed to get onto a walkway at the highest point of the site which gave us an amazing view of everything for miles. This is when I noticed security patrolling in a red VW Polo, however I wasn't spotted. I regrouped with my friends and we made our descent back down to ground floor to check out the last building.

To get to the last building, we had to use the main patrol path which was risky but luckily security wasn't around. As we entered the last building, we found something strange. As you'd probably expect from a mill that's been abandoned for over 20 years, there wasn't much colour. However we came across and old stall that looked like the colour hadn't even faded. It was stood right in the middle of a huge room on the 2nd floor of the last building at it looked amazing.

After looking around the 2nd floor of the building, we went downstairs where I sat in a room right next to the main entrance to roll a cigarette and I noticed the security guard I saw earlier in the red Polo walking past. So I knocked on the window and gave him the thumbs up. I expected him to say get out or something but no. Instead he gave me the thumbs up back, came up to the window, told me what time security were changing shifts, then left us to it and walked off. Some good security they have there.

After that, we decided that we'd seen enough and left through the main entrance that they left wide open for some reason. It was an amazing place to see, but judging by the amount of decay that was there, it was obvious it had been in a poor state for quite some time.

Other random pictures here.

Thanks for reading!

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun!

But be careful man, asbestos can be some wicked stuff, it sticks to your lungs like hooks and can cause lung cancer.

ignition sequence start
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun!

But be careful man, asbestos can be some wicked stuff, it sticks to your lungs like hooks and can cause lung cancer.

We were aware of the risks but the place was just too good to not go in. Only half of the site was an asbestos mill. The other half was building cars for Ford in the 80s according to the wiki.

Back