Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Woudn't the icebergs melting equal alot of fresh on polluted water?

Vous Pas Reel
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So I know alot of people worry about the icebergs meting because of flooding and what not ,but wouldn't this also bring a lot more "fresh" drinkable water to the world?

Note this is all just from my assumptions, so let me know where I'm wrong :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it just change the level of fresh water to salt water, but I don't believe it would be anymore drinkable than ocean water. Though I'm by no means a scientist.

2D > 3D
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lol no, you just change the amount of saline in the water. It would still consist of salt, but the solution would change from the average 3.3-3.7% to something much lower, thus causing a host of other problems dealing from ocean ecosystems and the climate in general.

For instance, if the saline levels lower greatly, the albedo (amount of sunlight reflected back off the surface of the earth) would lower, allowing the earth to absorb more radiation. As such water temperatures rise, creating a higher global temperature as well as a much more sporadic atmosphere. Hurricanes have been steadily getting stronger over the past century because of rising water temperatures, and with a lower salt concentration in the oceans, this would continue to rise.

There are very few advantages to global climate change if we look at this from a human perspective.

Vous Pas Reel
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lol no, you just change the amount of saline in the water. It would still consist of salt, but the solution would change from the average 3.3-3.7% to something much lower, thus causing a host of other problems dealing from ocean ecosystems and the climate in general.

For instance, if the saline levels lower greatly, the albedo (amount of sunlight reflected back off the surface of the earth) would lower, allowing the earth to absorb more radiation. As such water temperatures rise, creating a higher global temperature as well as a much more sporadic atmosphere. Hurricanes have been steadily getting stronger over the past century because of rising water temperatures, and with a lower salt concentration in the oceans, this would continue to rise.

There are very few advantages to global climate change if we look at this from a human perspective.
Not sure if possibe, but what if the iceburg water was collected before it went into the ocean, would the saline levels still be present?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Omg this thread is serious?

Trust me, the polar ice needs to remain frozen.

2D > 3D
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Not sure if possibe, but what if the iceburg water was collected before it went into the ocean, would the saline levels still be present?

We are talking ice shelves the size of Rhode Island (about a quarter the size of North Ireland for you silly Europeans) breaking off. Even if you could collect these massive ice chunks, it would not be economically feasible. It would cost way more for you to harvest the ice due to fuel cost that the water would be worth. I have heard theories of people towing large iceburgs via boat to harbor, then using that ice as a freshwater source, but even then, it would only be plausible in very certain areas of the world (South Africa, South America, Russia, and Canada).

Unlike what everyone thinks, it isn't a lack of freshwater we are facing, it is a lack of freshwater in areas of high population. Say for instance California. This area has had significant drought for the last ten years, and thus has been emptying out lakes and reservoirs in order to water peoples lawns. Rather than people living where resources are available, due to the luxury lifestyle many of us live, we live in places that cannot sustain us without outside support.

We are in an ice age at the moment, we have been for the last 120 thousand years . That is a good thing for our species, and we should embrace the fact that we live in a time period in which we can thrive with 7 billion of us scurrying across the surface of the planet.

Conservation of our climate and our resources should be the largest issue our generation deals with. Socially speaking (ignoring the fact that there are you know, 30 million people in slavery), we are finally getting to a culture accepting of eachother, now we just need to make sure that the culture we created can survive.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
We are talking ice shelves the size of Rhode Island (about a quarter the size of North Ireland for you silly Europeans) breaking off. Even if you could collect these massive ice chunks, it would not be economically feasible. It would cost way more for you to harvest the ice due to fuel cost that the water would be worth. I have heard theories of people towing large iceburgs via boat to harbor, then using that ice as a freshwater source, but even then, it would only be plausible in very certain areas of the world (South Africa, South America, Russia, and Canada).

Unlike what everyone thinks, it isn't a lack of freshwater we are facing, it is a lack of freshwater in areas of high population. Say for instance California. This area has had significant drought for the last ten years, and thus has been emptying out lakes and reservoirs in order to water peoples lawns. Rather than people living where resources are available, due to the luxury lifestyle many of us live, we live in places that cannot sustain us without outside support.

We are in an ice age at the moment, we have been for the last 120 thousand years . That is a good thing for our species, and we should embrace the fact that we live in a time period in which we can thrive with 7 billion of us scurrying across the surface of the planet.

Conservation of our climate and our resources should be the largest issue our generation deals with. Socially speaking (ignoring the fact that there are you know, 30 million people in slavery), we are finally getting to a culture accepting of eachother, now we just need to make sure that the culture we created can survive.

A couple of years back, we had a hosepipe ban and was very close to having streets sharing one tap for water. When you think of England, you think of rain and crappy weather, but we ended up having little rainfall over the winter and high tempretures and no rainfall during the summer.

We have also had a hosepipe ban right before torrential downpour which lasted 3/4 months and the whole country pretty much sank, either way human kind in general take water for granted, and need to review their water usage.

That one pokemon thing
Loyal Member
Reaction score

If the risen global temperature makes the ice melt, and the melt ice would take part in the rising of the global temperature, isn't it an unstoppable process?

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
All the ice in Antarctica can melt it won't affect sea levels.

If all the ice covering Antarctica, Greenland, and in mountain glaciers around the world were to melt, sea level would rise about 70 meters (230 feet). The ocean would cover all the coastal cities.

All the ice on land has melted and drained into the sea, raising it 216 feet and creating new shorelines for our continents and inland seas.

There are more than five million cubic miles of ice on Earth, and some scientists say it would take more than 5,000 years to melt it all.

Reaction score
I don't even need to browse any articles. Ice bergs melting causes oceans rising. It doesn't matter if it's healthy or fresh, it means the water level rises. In some areas on earth even 30 cm could be fatal, imagine 2 meters and a lot of households and stuff will be flood permanently, because oceans won't just ... evaporate. Now as far as I know we don't breathe salt water, but when we will, this will be the best thing ever happened to us. Until then ... it is considered a major catastrophe.

Not to mention the hurricanes, tsunamis and god knows what else following after these events ...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bro, just take trip down to the north and south pole And find out about it

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Will it eventually cause a crisis? Probably; just watch the movie ' '. Like I said before, I'm no scientist and the movie is Sci-Fi, but the events (albeit a sped up timeline) seem plausible. We're not going to fix everything. Diseases kill, pleasures kill, people kill, nature kills and hell; almost anything in excess kills, even population, or passion, or ambition, or even worse - obsession.

Before the day we're born, we're all branded with a red hot iron as bright as the sun. That brand is called our Dream. It keeps us crying until we're taught to do otherwise, but it always reminds us that we're mortal and it never stops burning. Some forget what that burning is and some decide to burn each other or their surroundings.

Unfortunately we have some people who aren't happy claiming their own dreams or even thousands of others. They need to keep others from from ever claiming theirs and say that technology will solve everything before any major problems arise. Basically: "I'll tap out this planet before it explodes, because I'll be dead before that happens, or technology will be more advanced by then."

I'm not a tree hugger or anything, but unless they're building something in secret, we're just going to keep breaking record as far as the weather is concerned.

Back