Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Release]City Of Heroes/City Of Villains Source Code [NCSOFT FINAL VERSION]

----
Loyal Member
Reaction score
"Launchers specified in loadBalanceShardSpecific.cfg or server.cfg are not connected, see console. These MUST be connected for the server to work properly, please fix this and click Retry. (See DbServer consol window for details.)

Just press ignore.

I did try adding them in the loadBalanceShardSpecific.cfg under server with Command and the exe like the others. This worked for some, like the RaidServer and ArenaServer but not the StatServer.

my balance shard looks like this:

Just change all 192.168.3.80 to 127.0.0.1
and 192.168.3.255 to 127.0.0.255
This config will also eliminate the mentioned error message.

It will also startup almost every service.
What is assumably will crash is arena and raid server those need more cfg fiddling.
Also the relay server is working, it will startup 2 of them. those two will fluctuate with every cycle(one closes, open an other one constantly) it is not an error it is how it does works. In the server monitor you will see all services what is started, you can also connect to your chatserverwith it and make various tasks like restart, ect...

In my version queue server ios turned off so thats why it is commented out!!!

I am also a legit buyer from 2006, i bought the original COH and COV edition(Issue 7 - "Destiny Manifest") with 45+90 days Charger cards :D i even got a 6 issue extra comics and a full 4 A4 Sized game map with paragon city and rogue islands :D

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi Flyer,

Thank you for your help, it did help get me the database started (as far as I can tell). Now I have a new issue, I created an account, and it does seem to log in where I can select the server "Paragon" but then it hangs up and boots me to the log in screen with "You must fill out the account and password fields to log into your account".

Any clues for the clueless? ;)

----
Loyal Member
Reaction score
... it hangs up and boots me to the log in screen with "You must fill out the account and password fields to log into your account".

What parameters you start your client with? You are using auth or DB?

If you are using mssql database you need to start your client with -auth 127.0.0.1 instead of -db 127.0.0.1

So MSSQL:
-auth 127.0.0.1

Flatfile Database:
-db 127.0.0.1

For example i use i25 with this command line parameter change the bold part to yours... :
-patchdir score -patchversion 2019.04.19 -auth 192.168.3.80 -noversioncheck -nopopups

AFAIK i24 has some issues with auth server... what version you use?

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Flyer, I do appreciate it, but I gotta give up. I might give this a go again in the future, but for now maybe I should stick to homecoming... lol :)

Cheers!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
What parameters you start your client with? You are using auth or DB?

If you are using mssql database you need to start your client with -auth 127.0.0.1 instead of -db 127.0.0.1

So MSSQL:
-auth 127.0.0.1

Flatfile Database:
-db 127.0.0.1

For example i use i25 with this command line parameter change the bold part to yours... :
-patchdir score -patchversion 2019.04.19 -auth 192.168.3.80 -noversioncheck -nopopups

AFAIK i24 has some issues with auth server... what version you use?

from what i read Magoso is using one of the virtual machines prebuilt by the community and im assuming he isnt running the client inside the VM itself so 127.0.0.1 wont work Magoso check what ip the virtual machine uses and match the client accordingly

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Wow! This is so awesome! I used to play this with my father, who sadly passed away a few years ago, when it first came out. I got nostalgic and was looking up CoH vids on youtube when I came across this quite by accident. I hope sometime in the future that you guys do a "semi-idiot proof repack" that a laymen can setup. :)

If I download the 40gb torrent does that include the game too, or is that just the server?
If it doesn't include the game, how does one find the exact version needed to play?
Last question, I promise. What does I24 and I25 mean? I've been going through the pages and see it commented about often. Is this just the internal server version numbers?

I hope you can get this all working perfectly. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

----
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Wow! This is so awesome! I used to play this with my father, who sadly passed away a few years ago, when it first came out.

I do very love how everyone has a story and a feeling towards this game :D It has more a nostalgic value than an actual value i guess :D Me too by the way :D This game was my long waited dream to have the full code.... Deepest Condolences about your father.

I got nostalgic and was looking up CoH vids on youtube when I came across this quite by accident. I hope sometime in the future that you guys do a "semi-idiot proof repack" that a laymen can setup. :)

Sadfully until there is no one who come up with a portable MSSQL your only lead is one of the Virtual machines that you need to setup with a very few modifications to yourself.. so even if you are playing with flatfile database the game itself requires MSSQL to be present and be able to connect to it... so currently only the virtualisation is a solution or DIY... Also just to know that the MMORPG servers/emulators are not famous from the ease-of-use-methods around here :S So you will need some fiddling around any of it... sorry... :( But hey this one is not particulally hard, and worth the time you spend to the setup :D

OR you can try the homecoming servers...(Risking that if they will be shut down you will lose any progress you made including characters this whole thing is not particulaly *COUGH* legal... yet. it is still being debated... XD )

If I download the 40gb torrent does that include the game too, or is that just the server? If it doesn't include the game, how does one find the exact version needed to play?

In the 40 GB it includes EVERYTHING :D Literally. XD (Exept some def files) but it has tools, servers, clients...

Last question, I promise. What does I24 and I25 mean? I've been going through the pages and see it commented about often. Is this just the internal server version numbers?

No no dont worry :D you can ask things like this thats why the forum exists :D

So... versions... Oh man this is a complicated thingy...

I24 and I25 is issue 24 and issue 25 patches.

So I24 - We have a full fledged source code and this will be the full server as of NCSOFT shut down the entire COH servers in 2013 BUT it has some problems with auth server and its being rewritten, but it works-ish... This is the Homecoming project that almost everyone works on...

I25 Unofficial - We have the source now for this this was the server that was running in the last 7 years secretly. It has a full fledge working systems and an I25 patch that adds new classes removes restrictions and all... its a non official version but IMHO works better and more stable than the I24. But the I24 will be better at some point it will be a real NCSOFT like server, but you can use the I25 now if you want a COH experience.

(I25 Source is a bit missing a thing or two, but it has VERY few bugs only, everything works on that source...) These called SCORE servers. (Its an akronym dont ask XD google it) But i25 has a fully working systems, but it is hard to develop.
It adds some vendors and classes too. But this is not the original ofc, but i dont think this is ruining anything i am using this :D

I hope you can get this all working perfectly. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

If you want you can give the I25 a shot. It is not so hard to setup... But if you prefer I24, that is good too :D But you will need to wait until they rework the code and auth server ect...

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I do very love how everyone has a story and a feeling towards this game :D It has more a nostalgic value than an actual value i guess :D Me too by the way :D This game was my long waited dream to have the full code.... Deepest Condolences about your father.

Sadfully until there is no one who come up with a portable MSSQL your only lead is one of the Virtual machines that you need to setup with a very few modifications to yourself.. so even if you are playing with flatfile database the game itself requires MSSQL to be present and be able to connect to it... so currently only the virtualisation is a solution or DIY... Also just to know that the MMORPG servers/emulators are not famous from the ease-of-use-methods around here :S So you will need some fiddling around any of it... sorry... :( But hey this one is not particulally hard, and worth the time you spend to the setup :D

OR you can try the homecoming servers...(Risking that if they will be shut down you will lose any progress you made including characters this whole thing is not particulaly *COUGH* legal... yet. it is still being debated... XD )

In the 40 GB it includes EVERYTHING :D Literally. XD (Exept some def files) but it has tools, servers, clients...

No no dont worry :D you can ask things like this thats why the forum exists :D

So... versions... Oh man this is a complicated thingy...

I24 and I25 is issue 24 and issue 25 patches.

So I24 - We have a full fledged source code and this will be the full server as of NCSOFT shut down the entire COH servers in 2013 BUT it has some problems with auth server and its being rewritten, but it works-ish... This is the Homecoming project that almost everyone works on...

I25 Unofficial - We have the source now for this this was the server that was running in the last 7 years secretly. It has a full fledge working systems and an I25 patch that adds new classes removes restrictions and all... its a non official version but IMHO works better and more stable than the I24. But the I24 will be better at some point it will be a real NCSOFT like server, but you can use the I25 now if you want a COH experience.

(I25 Source is a bit missing a thing or two, but it has VERY few bugs only, everything works on that source...) These called SCORE servers. (Its an akronym dont ask XD google it) But i25 has a fully working systems, but it is hard to develop.
It adds some vendors and classes too. But this is not the original ofc, but i dont think this is ruining anything i am using this :D

If you want you can give the I25 a shot. It is not so hard to setup... But if you prefer I24, that is good too :D But you will need to wait until they rework the code and auth server ect...
Thank you so much for the kind reply and the info. It's very refreshing now-a-days to see someone that takes the time. :)

I'm downloading the torrent now and will seed until the apocalypse, or I get a DMCA from my ISP, lol.

As for I24 & I25. I25 sounds cool. I just want to get in there and play around until I24 "matures". What Mysql version do I need? I see that there's a tutorial on how to setup CoH and that pretty much any SQL would work but do you have any recommendations on what I should use? I've messed around with MySQL before when I was running an Axclassic Everquest Private server, and a RunUO server for me and my brother. At one point I tried to get my Neverwinter Nights PW switched over from the built in server to MySQL but was never able to get it working. I don't have an in depth knowledge, or full understanding of MySQL though. So my plans this weekend were to do yard work but screw that. I'll deal with the wife's ire later! I want to try and set this up on Friday night!

Again, thank you a ton! I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
For strictly i25 ease of use setup.
Here is the i25 client setup, and virtual machines available.
The wiki site is hosted by the ourodev team.

Download the client and the cream soda patcher, following any instructions on the wiki page.

Grab a copy of VM 2 "Windows 2012 R2 City of Heroes VMWare Image" on this page.
Then select either of the 2 versions of VMware, under the "VMWare Instructions" section of this page. (note read bottom of this post, regarding the 2 versions of VMware Workstation mentioned on the Instructions wiki page)
Once you have the VMware server up, go to the "VM v2 Setup" instructions on the wiki page and follow the instructions.

To setup the VM 2 VMware server above. You will need to get a copy of VMware Workstation 14 or 15 (shouldn't be difficult to find a copy with google).

----
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@hollowfaith my server is not running on vmware, i am using on "bare metal" as they say, on a Windows Server 2012R2, and using MSSQL 2017 and sheduling the backup tasks thru navicat.

Also: you need to know that MSSQL is not nearly as MySQL when it comes to setup... mssql has som mayor sh*tstorm, but if you can used to it, the SQL is just an SQL... other than formatting and few commands, it will be the same, the only problem is installing/setup ect... but it is not that hard at all if you ar getting thru it; its just annoying :D

However. i STRONGLY recommend that you use Virtual system, if you can use them. All you need to do is setup your client and server.(i mean IP chenge ect) so i recommend that you should listen to @DNC he is a veteran around here knows his stuff. :D Of course it is not soo hard to setup yours on a normal machine but this is faster and you wont need to put in a lot of hard tweaking in it...

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,
I am new to this forum but I used the play CoH/CoV since 2008. I have been long looking for a way to run my own server and it looks like i finally found the right place... I only learned about the Homecoming server a couple days ago as i had given up hope CoX would ever come back online or the server codes would be released. I have a few questions if you would be so kind to answer them. I have gone from page 1 of this thread to page 16 clicking every link and grabbing every file i could to be able to set up my own server for me and my friends and possible a public server if and when i get a rig powerful enough to handle all the traffic.
1. in the CoH Collection All rar is that everything i need including instructions on how to set everything up?
2. on a level from being able to turn on a computer to hacking The Pentagon, how much computer knowledge is required to set this up? are the instructions step by step or is it firing blindly into the dark?
3. when set up does it have to be on LAN or can my friends from around the country join in my private server?

any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

----
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The quick rundown:
1. you need the torrent from the relases section
2. check ouroboros website, also you can use a preconfigured vmware image.
3. yes you can play with anyone thru lan or online

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The quick rundown:
1. you need the torrent from the relases section
2. check ouroboros website, also you can use a preconfigured vmware image.
3. yes you can play with anyone thru lan or online

i got the torrent from the post above |*edit* oh wait i thought this was the other tab with the torrent file at the top.. sorry i got that torrent file|and it seems no one is seeding it .. where is the torrent at in the relases section? *edit* |ignor this part i was on the wrong browser tab|
what is the ourobors website link ? i want to make sure i dont go to the wrong site *edit* |still need this though|
and
awesome that is exactly what i am looking for *edit* |still awesome|

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
wiki.ourodev.com

Thanks *edit* spelling

Hey DNC your link in the Relase thread for the I24 definitions doesnt work anymore any chane you could put them up again please?*edit* added this

Last edited:
----
Loyal Member
Reaction score
O Toku Jin DEF files are there again.

Also my server had a power outage and the tracker and torrent seed would not came back properly... it is up again.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@O Toku Jin DEF files are there again.

Also my server had a power outage and the tracker and torrent seed would not came back properly... it is up again.

thank you .. i am still trying but getting nothing .. i just updated Vuze so maybe that will help

*edit*
i updated vuze i deleted the old torrent ... restarted the torrent and i am still getting nothing ..

here are some pictures to show whats going on , on my end .. any help getting these files would be greatly appreciated

*edit*
everything was taken care of in this thread here - http://forum.ragezone.com/f1012/relase-resources-cox-servers-1161909/index2.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks *edit* spelling

Hey DNC your link in the Relase thread for the I24 definitions doesnt work anymore any chane you could put them up again please?*edit* added this

Should had read my post, it told Flyer that the link was available for X-amount of days and grab it for his link. Nothing more, nothing less.

It actually states in the "Edit comment"
Last edited by DNC; 15-05-19 at 01:07 PM. Reason: If this link dies, refer to the primary post where Flyer added the files

Not to be rude or anything.
Please do not PM me just to request something.
If you reply to a thread, I'll read it the next time I log on.
I wont see it any sooner in my inbox, in fact I probably just delete the PM without reading from someone I don't know.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello guys!

I am really interested on make this game works on raspberry pi 3/4. they are full opengl 2.1 and 3.x profile. further, Ive tested some games recompiled for arm with wine (diablo II, diablo I and and starcraft) and they run great on raspberry pi. Dont know how to make this work because my knowledge on sln solutions its zero. If someone its interested to help please respond. I think as tools we have xbuild, msbuild and winemaker. dont know who its the indicated for this task. thanks on advance

Back