Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Ascent vs MaNGOS

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have test the Acsent relesses and i have find out that the Ascent have more bugs then Mangos.
Please can you tell me why you think is Acsent better and which version is the most stable.
Thanks.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Ascent isn't necessarily better. Its just more popular right now.

Reasons for this:

Ascent claims to have more stability. And doesn't need to claim it can handle more users... because it can. On the same internet connection, you would be able to host FAR more users with an Ascent core than you could with MaNGOS.

I'll put my 2 cents in on why I think MaNGOS is better... which isn't what you asked for, but since this thread is just going to become a giant flame fest over who's brass set is bigger, I might as well throw this down. Ascent has a better system for distributing GM power on the server... this is where the good stops. The commands are a pain, and lack the power and ease of use that the MaNGOS commands have.

Script development and Database development for Ascent seems to be half cocked, thrown together to get the newest versions up and running as fast as possible, and stable core revisions are few and far between.

Vlad seems to have his team take their time and release a quality MaNGOS revision, rather than kowtow to the public demand for the most current version support, and clean up script afterward.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank you "FamineMK" for explaining it to me ,so Acscent is beter because all people is working to get it better but i have test the Ascent Rev2519 + NCDB Rev688 and i have all time DC when i'm learning new spell and talents and riding on mount amd fly......
And i have hard time to login without to enter ma pass 3-4 times.And many more bugs like that but whit MaNGOS i didn't have it.
Is is my fault for seting up wrong or unstable version of Acscent or it is normal in Acscent???

Thanks!

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I really couldn't say which is better. I'd say try them out see which one you like. The future will tell us who will prevail. I have a friend who is hardcore ManGOS fan, I however like using Ascent. It's really whatever you personally like. They both have pros and cons. As for the Login problem. If you are talking about the realmloop problem, I have the same problem. It's "supposedly" fixed I think, but I still get the problem rather often, but only me. People connecting from an outside IP very rarely get it.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I concur; just pick the one you like most.

As long as people can't tell the difference between core-bugs and database-bugs, it's hard to chart the differences. Also, lack of knowledge on 'how the real thing' work makes bug reports difficult to follow, not to mention bad english. Also the many different version s don't help here; some versions are bad, others better, but never close to the real thing (everytime we get close, "they" will change something major ;) )

So basicly, it comes down to core version, in relation with used database and overall comparison to the real thing. This makes comparison in general nearly impossible.

Reaction score
In the first place people sould never compare an emu with the real thing becose none come close to it ;)

If you wane run an smal server 20-30 players i realy prefer mangos for biger servers i would recoment ascent .

And if u dont mind the version you will play i would recoment ascent 1_5 Stable for 2.1.3 .

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
"Ascent is an advanced server application, designed for server administrators; hence it is not a toy for inexperienced users"

You don't know me.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ascent has my bet. It's just more reliable to me than MaNGOS ever was.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
for now my vote is ascent but if and when kobold v5 comes out might have to change my mind!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So Ascent it is!!!
Now all i have to find out which version +database is the best,
I have try the repacks but i everyone i have fount some different bug .
hmm..
can i try to repair that bug or try find my on version that works.
I one there was all working except that trainers didn't work...

Thank you all for your opinion!

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
ManGOS is maked of a leaked version of WoWd, now Ascent. Ascent simply IS better. The Database needs to be improved, thats all. It's more stable, faster, simply better.

You don't know me.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The best database and revisions are always the latest Ascent, and NCDB compiles.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
When i first got into private servers, and started setting up my own, i started out with MaNGOS, purely because it was in the first pack i ever come across, it was okay, but not very customizable as ascent, which i use now on my live server. Ascent, yes, it is harder to get running, and yes the commands are more difficult and fiddly, but my overall experience with Ascent is very much better than MaNGOS, i just find MaNGOS 'kid like' or 'noob-ified'. Anyway, Ascent is better, get it.

Reaction score
LOL the best ever made emu was wowemu ;)
Common none is the best it is just the best becouse you prefer it above the other but realy they all have there ups and downs . You know what realy would be an good one mangos,ascent and kobold combine one with the benefits of those 3 then you will proberly have one of the best emus .
Its yust wat you prefer to use so no one else can tell you what to use i would try all emus when i start and when i find in an emu what i want i would use it .

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, now use the Ascent - Database NCDB, but my first draft was MaNGOS-Silver Project SDB / UDB Projetc.

There are things that MaNGOS must not have the Ascent and Ascent things that have and MaNGOS lacks.

The biggest problem of the two projects is the database, neither has a database 100% 2.2.3 or 2.3.0, and it is difficult to choose.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bueno, ahora uso el Ascenso - Base de Datos NCDB, pero mi primer proyecto fue MaNGOS - SDB Silver Project/UDB Projetc.

Hay cosas que MaNGOS tiene que no tiene el Ascenso y cosas que el Ascenso tiene y MaNGOS no tiene.

El mayor problema de los dos Proyectos es la base de datos, ninguno de los dos tiene una base de datos 100% 2.2.3 o 2.3.0, as

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
ManGOS is maked of a leaked version of WoWd, now Ascent. Ascent simply IS better. The Database needs to be improved, thats all. It's more stable, faster, simply better.

All are WoWd based mangos, ascent AND kobold. Just compare and you will find many similarities ;)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
My very, very first experience as a GM was on a mangos server, with a population of 10, maybe 11 accounts. I hardly knew the game itself at that time. And in time I was invited to be a GM in a server with a medium 50-60 players online, so I had to become more familiar with the commands. Franky speaking I find the Ascent commands much more easier to understand and learn. It's like .ad .ch g .rec po .r and so on. One or two letters per command/subcommand once you get used to the abbreviations.

When it comes to stability, this medium server was running on MaNGOS and trust me, it was crashing ALL the time. Sometimes 5 times in a row for no reason. (At least I had no idea what the reason was) Maybe the admin was running the wrong revision, I just don't know much aboust the MaNGOS emulator. So the GM team succeeded in talking the admin into switching to Ascent. The crashes were gone, the latency was much better. The GM ([az]) power was vast. Those are the facts. Eventually I became interested in the very core of the server, the emulator itself and the databases. How everything works and so on. I came to realise one thing - the ascent emulator creates the illusion of stability and incredibly up-to-date support. The truth is you need to be aware of one thing - bugs will emerge all the when you least expected them to do so. The stable ones come once between one huge time gap, while you get crappy revisions with one fix and 10 new bugs. Actually once you get the stable product it's worth it. But if you know what you are doing and how to deal with all these problems then I guess it's not really a big deal.

About MaNGOS - I don't know. Maybe some hardcore fan can explain in what aspect is it better or worse than Ascent.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Here is my thoughts
Ascent- More for the Advanced User, Who is wishing to make there server Live and hold lots of players
MaNGOS- More for the Newbie, experimenting and learning (lol). Maybe for a LAN network or something like that.

Now, How many people wants to bite my head off?

You don't know me.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I agree Maphew08. No need to bite your head off.

Back