Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Data: What are DBC, maps and vmaps for

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I know it's always needed to extract these, but for what purpose ?
I thought myself it was for the pathfinding of the world.
Now the extractor from my current core only extracted dbc and maps, but when I load up the core it says that vmaps are supported, I can put them in my data dir and it still works, so not sure whether or not I should use them, as it's not needed to operate.

So can anybody tell me what vmaps are for and if I should put them in the data dir or not ( and what the other two do as well ).

Thanks in advance.

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
VMaps are used for NPC pathfinding. They are built from the maps. The DBCs (Which store info for game content, such as items, NPCs, etc.) are used by the core as a sort-of database.

Without vmaps, mob pathing will be very crappy. You don't have to use them but it's a good idea to use them. Additionally, some cores utilize MMaps which are vastly better than VMaps but also take 5-6 hours to create. MMaps support pathing around objects unlike VMaps which only support pathing for the maps themselves.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Vmaps are Line of Sight as well. For example;

If you're lacking the Vmaps on your server, you most likely have the issue where you can cast Frostbolt through the Goldshire inn, or beneath Orgrimmar - etc.

DBC's store Data which your server and the client uses to read the Database and Game world correctly.

Item ID's are stored in a DBC, so the Client knows exactly which Icon to place on which Custom item in your inventory.

Or even AreaID's and Area names - these are the little zones you enter where a name pops up in the middle of your screen saying something like; Duskwood Cemetary, Stormwind, Goldshire, Northshire Abbey - etc.

DBC's are essential for the functionality of the server - without them, custom maps, weapons or skyboxes will not work.
If you're not running custom content on your server - then they're still needed to lead Blizzard's content.

Sidenote; Vmaps are not needed - but recommended at it's very least.

Back