Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Emm. DCMA from Blizz in 2 days ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Divine Celestial
Reaction score
Is it just me or blizzard is actually DCMA'ing new servers. My server haven't even had 1 online and already DCMA after about 3 days, lol.

Anyone else got this ?
Hello,

We are in receipt of a copyright infringement notice pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §512 of the Copyright Act, requesting the disabling of infringing material appearing at a domain registered in your account (the “Domain”). Under Namecheap’s policy, the content appearing at the Domain has been identified by a reporting copyright owner as infringing and must be removed or disabled, if it in fact infringes on the rights of the complaining party. A copy of the DMCA notice is included in this communication.

This communication serves as a reminder that Namecheap does not permit infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights via its services, and Namecheap reserves the right to terminate or disable its registration services, and without prior notice, where content appearing at the site associated with your registered domain infringes on another’s intellectual property rights. Please also note that in case the complainant takes further action, we may be forced to disable WhoisGuard for the reported domain. Kindly refer to clause 8 of our Whois Proxy Agreement at

If you consider the copyright infringement notice in question to be false or invalid, please provide us with the corresponding Counter Notice. The Counter Notice is a legal document and requires the following:
1. Your contact information, including name, address, and telephone number, as well as facsimile number and email if available;
2. A statement that under penalty of perjury that you have the good faith belief that the material reported should not be disabled;
3. Identification of the reported material that should not be disabled and the location at which the material appears;
4. A statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the United States District Court in which the address you provide is located, or if your address is outside the United States, for the judicial district of California;
5. A statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided the initial notice or an agent of that person; and
6. A physical or electronic signature by you or your agent.
The Counter Notice will be forwarded to the complaining party for the further investigation.

Kindly let us know if you have any question regarding the matter.

==========================================================

> Hello Team,
>
> This is an official message from Easy Solutions, on behalf of our
> client Blizzard Entertainment Inc.
>
> We need your cooperation in removing an _Emulated Server_ site
> which is using unauthorized use of art assets for the game "World
> of Warcraft", where you are providing hosting services. Below
> you will find the information needed for this Copyright Claim:
>
> 1. An electronic signature of the copyright owner, or a person
> authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of an exclusive copyright
> that has allegedly been infringed.
>
> Andrés Felipe Celis | DMS Agent
>
> Main:
>
> acelis@easysol.net
> | [ ]
>
> 2. The copyrighted material infringed is the word mark of the game
> "World of Warcraft" also their design marks as logos and trademark
> signs, developed by Blizzard Entertainment Inc.
>
> Legitimate site: [ ]
>
> Attached you can find a document with the registration numbers for
> Blizzard Entertainment.
>
> 3. The infringing material is located in the following URL:
>
> [ ]
>
> [ ]
>
> IP: 94.177.122.13
>
> Which is giving access to an unauthorized server and use of art
> assets for the game "World of Warcraft”.
>
> 4. You can contact us through:
>
> Email Address:
>
> dms@easysol.net
>
> Physical Address:
>
> USA
>
> 8550 NW 33 Street, Sunrise, Suite 101, Miami, FL 33122, United
> States
>
> Tel/Fax.
>
> Latin America - K 13 A 98 21 OF 401, Bogotá, Colombia
>
> Tel. / Fax
>
> 5. We state that we have a good faith belief that use of the
> material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the
> copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
>
> 6. We state that the information in the notification is accurate,
> and under penalty of perjury, that Blizzard Entertainment is the
> owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
>
> We kindly ask you to disable this fraudulent content as soon as
> possible. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
>
> Thank you for your cooperation.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> --
>
> Firma acelis
>
> Andrés Felipe Celis | DMS
> Agent
>
> Main:
>
> acelis@easysol.net
> | [ ]
>
> This
> communication is for use by the intended recipient
> and contains information that may be privileged,
> confidential or copyrighted under applicable law.
>
>

Regards,
Elena S.
Legal & Abuse Department
Namecheap.com

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
weird i ran one for months and months ,it didnt have much of a playerbase but zero issues with dmca etc .. ,not sure if it helps or is a myth but did you have any kind of disclaimer on the site ? for example like on heroeswow

World of Warcraft© and Blizzard Entertainment© are all trademarks
or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment in the United States
and/or other countries. These terms and all related materials, logos,
and images are copyright © Blizzard Entertainment.
This site is in no way associated with or endorsed by Blizzard Entertainment©

Could be the case tho if it was a new WOD based server i always ran a 3.3.5a one

Reaction score
I am not a lawyer (although I play one on TV) but, I would say the "legal grey area" that private servers fall under, as long as it's an emulator (which as far as I know the official server files have NOT been leaked for WoW), running the "server" itself is NOT illegal. That is, because whoever wrote it - wrote it themselves (not Blizzard). Now, on the other hand, if you use ANY of their "artwork" on your website, or provide a download to a client to play on your "server" those are areas you clearly CANNOT violate a ©.

I would say, just find a new host - whether that DMCA was "legit" or "a forgery", we know that host will likely follow the "takedown" anyway - as they already appear to have done (I attempted to visit the site to see if you used any of THEIR artwork, or provided a link to download a WoW client, but alas it appears to already be down!). All that being said, find a new host. Don't bother with those cheesy "notices" talking about "if you're an employee or affiliate of Blizzard you're not welcome blah blah blah" or "material here is © Blizzard" kinda crap. I have a long rant on this but I can pretty safely say, that will NOT make you "safe"! Get a new host, and make sure you do NOT use ("borrow") ANY of Blizzards "artwork" (including logos etc), and do NOT host or link to a download for a client. Then you should be good to go :wink:

Reaction score
Blizzard only cares about servers running the latest xpac, which right now is WoD. You are usually fine running older versions of the game.

The dmca was likely fake. Request to receive the full original dmca report with message headers so you can verify this was from blizzard. They wouldn't wasn't their time taking down a server with zero players.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
Blizzard only cares about servers running the latest xpac, which right now is WoD. You are usually fine running older versions of the game.

The dmca was likely fake. Request to receive the full original dmca report with message headers so you can verify this was from blizzard. They wouldn't wasn't their time taking down a server with zero players.
That's what I thought. My host kicked me out, my domain suspended. All because of this fake poop. Probably used php mailer to generate the message..

Reaction score
:eek: domain suspended too? Did you order the domain through that host?

Maybe just time to purchase a new domain too? I'd suggest looking for a host who doesn't even care if they're hosting "shady poop"! There are hosts out there who just flat out don't give a ****! Order a domain name through godaddy, and find a "shady" host! That's my $0.02

Reaction score
That's what I thought. My host kicked me out, my domain suspended. All because of this fake poop. Probably used php mailer to generate the message..

There are guides online for countering DMCA complaints. A DMCA alone is not a good enough reason to completely suspend your services like that.

Find a new host IMO. They are not worth dealing with.

Reactions: 343
Divine Celestial
Reaction score
There are guides online for countering DMCA complaints. A DMCA alone is not a good enough reason to completely suspend your services like that.

Find a new host IMO. They are not worth dealing with.
2nd host kicking me out with same dcma report, claiming that vbulletin forum is blizzard's ownership

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but it's probably legit. As to why you got one, I have no idea why a brand new server with no playerbase would receive a takedown. That's extremely unlike Blizzard. They generally only go after extremely popular servers and servers with a donation system (Because then it's unfair competition = money). Let's not forget when Alyson Reeves, the owner of ScapeGaming (A very popular WoW server with an extremely successful donation system) was slapped with an $88m judgement when Blizzard sued.

Rooting around the intertubes I've found a small handful of similar takedowns issued against others over the past few years by EasySolutions (A Colombian IT anti-fraud firm) on behalf of Blizzard and Activision (Who absorbed both Blizzard and Vivendi).

As well, I've also found a WoW server developer who was hit with a cease and desist by them and they claim they verified it was in fact a legitimate takedown ( ).

If I were you, I would comply. Messing around when it comes to cease and desist notices and DMCA takedowns is playing chicken with legal teams, and they always win. It's best to cut your losses and comply, or at the very least, verify it's a legitimate cease and desist and then comply. Unless of course, you can expertly hide your identify on the internet through the use of VPNs with no logs, proxies, false identities and whatnot.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
But yet still, if you were running a server with the "borrowed" (stolen/leaked) LEGIT server files, THEN they'd have a case. If you were hosting even so much as a LINK to download a client, they'd have a case. If you were using ANY of their artwork, no matter how small, they'd have a case. BUT, if all you're doing is hosting an EMULATOR, with NO client download links/info etc, and NO "borrowed" artwork - you're NOT in violation of any © (unless the person that made the emulator hasn't authorized you to use the emulator, but then it wouldn't be Blizzard's "case"!). Same for the VB (VBulletin), if you're running an illicit copy of that, I wouldn't, not for something that has the likely-hood of being really popular (like a WoW server emulator AKA "private server"). Sure it's not Blizzard's property, but it is someone else's property, and they CAN make you take it down!

My advice would be as follows (what I would do if I were you): 1) Host ONLY the emulator, do NOT host a client, or a link to a client, OR even info on where to get a client (IE: download a/the client at the pirate bay). 2) I would make and use the most GENERIC website possible, it probably would not even contain any "art" or graphics whatsoever (but if it did/does make sure YOU create ALL of the content YOURSELF!), just a pure simple basic registration page (of course users have to be able to register). 3) I would also personally ditch having a forum all together, but if you MUST have a forum, I would be damn sure you're running a LEGIT copy of VBulletin, if not, GET ONE OF THE FREE forum softwares (there's TONS out there!). 4) Also, while you're at it, it would not hurt to rent a server/host that doesn't give a ****, even better if it's in a country that doesn't have/honor/care about © laws! Yes, they do exist, use some google-fu and you should be able to find some good ones. Hell if you find a nice host who does not care, AND is located in a country that does not have or "honor" © laws then you could host all the whatever you want (the client, "borrowed" art-work, even a bootleg of VB)! But if you want to "play it safe" you can do ALL the above that I've mentioned. Then you're truly not violating ANY company's or anyone's ©! Especially then, you could feel confident AND safe when you (and your host/provider) tell them to "duck off" if they still persist!

Reaction score
There are hundreds of servers out there not receiving takedown notices, or ignoring them with no consequences.

Without reviewing your site (it's offline) or looking at the takedown notice with full headers, I can't really offer advice.

www.Warforge.Online
Reaction score
usaully DMCA's are over the website design(logos, artwork, etc)

and NOT the emulated realm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back