Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Explain WoW Private Servers?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello, I'm curious about the private servers? I have played WoW years ago and I've been tempting to get back into it but play private servers instead.

I want knowledge in it because sooner or later I might want to make one.

What type of specs do they use to create a server, and are the GM commands fairly simple to get use too?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
That all depends on which version of World of Warcraft you're wanting to host a private server for.

If you're looking for Vanilla 1.12, then the AlterWoW Blizzlike Repack is a common choice as it is a stable experience from what I've seen.

Beware of private servers when it comes to stability; expect broken missions, AI, and missing features.

The basic requirements of running a private server is a decent upload rate, at least 2 GB of RAM, enough hard disk space to store the game contents and server contents (Vanilla: ~6 GB), MySQL databases for the server, and allow incoming and outgoing connections on the ports 3306, 80, 443, and other ports that WoW may use for connecting. (Forward through firewall, router, and antivirus if your antivirus program blocks ports)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I wrote a document about the making of private servers, for players who are unaware of the basics, and here is a sample. Link is at the end.

Introduction

You don’t need advanced knowledge to create a working server. In fact, you can even be a complete incompetent and still make a server. I’m going to explain few things everybody knows in the emulation scene.

To get an idea of what it is about, here is the table of content :
Code:
    Section 1: Emulators
            1.1: How to use it ? Is it free ?
            1.2: Database
            1.3: Tell me more about emulators
                1.3.1: Why are there almost only WOTLK and Vanilla private servers ?
                1.3.2: Why so many new WOD-based servers ?
                1.3.3: This server is not using TrinityCore but Badass-Name-Core, what is it ?
            1.4: Why are some servers so bad ?
            1.5: What can I do with a freshly compiled server ?
                1.5.1: You can already put it online
                1.5.2: Or customise it
    Section 2: Repacks
    Section 3: Eluna - SmartAI - and others
    Section 4: Patches
    Section 5: Hosting a server publicly
             5.1: Dedicated servers (or VPS)
                5.1.1: What to choose ?
                5.1.2: Then they can come and play ?
             5.2: Website
                5.2.1: How to make one ?
                5.2.2: No programming skills
                     : CMS examples :
                     : But they all look like any private server website !
                5.2.3: A domain name
    Section 6: Server staff
            6.1: Owner
            6.2: Core developers
            6.3: Database developers
            6.4: Web developers
                6.4.1: Web designers
                6.4.2: Front end developers
                6.4.3: Back end web developers
            6.5: Client developers
            6.6: Moderators and game masters
    Section 7: Conclusion

--------------------------------------------------------------

1 Emulators

Private servers are all based upon an existing emulator. An emulator is a program you have to compile yourself from a source code and which emulates WOW servers. These emulators are written in C++. It “contains” the systems, the spells, the dungeons mechanics, the boss fights etc... Check this picture for a sum up (taken from modcraft).

1.1 How to use it ? Is it free ?

Servers emulators are open source, made by passionate developers and available to everyone. You can download the source code, spend few hours setting it up and you have your own server running. There are tutorials to help you out in this process. You don’t need to know how to program to compile.

1.2 Database

Whether you use a repack (see below) or your own compiled server, you need a database to populate the world and save all the data created ingame (items, characters abilities, friend list etc...). It requires you to set it up but there are tutorials for this aswell. It is provided with the emulator or the repack.
Within the database, you can create new quests, new simple events, new NPCs and tons of different things. It’s not complex when your goal is only to add simple content. Yes, scripting quests is not hard technically, tedious maybe, but not hard.
It requires (some) SQL knowledge.

1.3 Tell me more about emulators

Available and widely used emulators are Mangos, cMangos and TrinityCore. There are other emulators like OregonCore. I let you find more informations about this by yourself if you’re interested.

1.3.1 Why are there almost only WOTLK and Vanilla private servers ?**

[...]

It's a bit too long to post it entirely there, and I already formated it on my website (in two versions, one is mobile friendly and in black and white if you don't like the design) in order to avoid doing it again on reddit, so if you're interested in reading more, check this !

Back