Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

New Here.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello I'm new here. I've never played WoW before so I just want to know if it's possible to make my own offline Vanilla WoW server to play solo. And to update it to The Burning Crusade - WotLK - Cataclysm - up to the latest expansion available whenever I feel like it and/or after I do all the possible things to do and reaching the level cap. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
Can I make my own solo server? - Yes. Same exact concept as making a server for online use, you just don't open it to the public.

Can I update it when I want? - No. Each core supports a different version, so if you want to upgrade to BC from vanilla, you'll need to use a different core. The most popular is v1.12.1/1.12.2 (5875/6005), v2.4.3 (8606), v3.3.5a (12340), v4.3.4 (15595) and v5.4.8 (18414). Those cover vanilla through Pandaria. There really aren't any Warlords of Draenor cores that are any good yet, and Legion is much too new to expect anything good. The main core development groups are MaNGOS, C-MaNGOS and TrinityCore.

To elaborate further, fortunately the main core development groups (MaNGOS and C-MaNGOS) have a core for vanilla, BC and Wrath (whereas TrinityCore only does WotlK), so the setup is exactly the same between the cores and the databases are somewhat compatible (If you want to have your account from your vanilla server also on your BC server, you'll need to run the DB through a utility that will update it so it is compatible with the structure of the BC database).

As far as making the server goes, you have 3 choices. You can either compile your own fresh and up-to-date core, opt to use precompiled binaries from someone else or use a repack (A precompiled core with usually a lot of custom stuff, like items, creatures, NPCs, etc.). I'd suggest going with compiling your own core, it's easy to learn how to do and your don't really need much, if any, experience with compilers or SQL databases. The benefit is a nice clean fully up-to-date server.

If you want to learn how to compile your own core, check out our WoW MaNGOS Tutorials forum (http://forum.ragezone.com/f518/). *Shameless plug* if you want an easy to follow tutorial, go with mine: http://forum.ragezone.com/f518/mangos-server-easily-windows-719160/

If however you want precompiled binaries or a repack. Check out the WoW MaNGOS Releases forum (http://forum.ragezone.com/f436/).

If there's anything else I can help you with, ask away!

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank you for this detailed answer. I have been watching WoW as a game I wanted to create a server for. However, I have seen a few issues that consistently pop up:

Missing Skills
Non Working Classes
Missing NPCs

Are these issues still a factor to consider if you compile your own core?

An update to my previous post with another question.

Another MMO I have installed and configured a server for uses MSSQL. Will this interfere with the building of the WoW databases?

Also, another issue is the client. Acquiring the client is probably the most common question I see, along with a dogpile of people telling you to "google it".

Without posting any links or breaking the forum rules, what is the best way to go about acquiring a client?

While waiting for an answer, I am just going to download what I need to compile and jump into it. I'll (hopefully) figure out the client dilemma later.

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
Core issues: No, if anything compiling your own core will be MORE complete than using a repack or precompiled binaries since you're using the most up-to-date core and database. With repacks you run the risk of playing the "did the repacker break anything" game.

MSSQL Conflict: No, there should be no conflicts between MSSQL and MySQL.

Getting the Clients: Torrents, Usenet, direct download. It's usually pretty easy to find a client to download if you check the popular torrent websites (The Pirate Bay). There used to be a way to connect directly to Blizzard's download server and download any version you wanted, but I believe it's been patched.

Back