Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Nostalrius shutting down - source code to be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I was going to post this here when I first heard about it on the grape vine, however I am not a WoW section regular, so I figured it better that someone with more credibility make this post.

With that being said, that's the exact impression I got from their announcement. I have never liked WoW mostly because I just never bought into it as a Pay to Play service (I know it's free to level 20 now, however getting there was way too fast. I felt like they were dealers giving you a pure hit to start you off and get you hooked, then water down the rest of the stuff you buy) however if they release this source code, I would probably look into setting up the emulator for my own private use.

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
Good on them for planning to release the source code for community-led development. Personally, I would've sold it considering the monetary value. I know nothing of Nostralius considering they were well after my time in the WoW emulation scene but from what I've heard, they have some fantastic coders on their team.

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
Update:

Nostralius will not be releasing the source code. Apparently their original intention was to release part of it (Assumably all of it except their anti-cheat) but since they're now in talks with Blizzard developers, they have decided to keep the source closed.

It's going to be interesting to see how Blizzard plans to handle the public outcry. I just don't see them opening legacy servers considering the expense and logistics of running a legacy server alongside live. But hell, maybe they'll finally break down and do it.

Put Community First
Reaction score
Hope to hear more on this as it'll be good to have such code for tinkering and learning. Though I know it'll spawn 10000 vanilla private servers at the expense of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back