Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private server for home use?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi all

Just new to the private server world and just looking for some advice. I see that there are quite a few private servers and different versions.

What I am looking for is to setup my own private server that myself and my nephew can play. I know WOW is an MMORPG but at the moment I would rather play on a private server.

I am looking for a version which is easy to setup with more of the RPG element to it, now I have heard some versions come with bots that simulate players to an extent, which could be useful if we want to try messing around with dungeons, although AIs usually suck at these.

Are there any good servers available that are stable and have the RPG element?

I know MOP is asking to much but are there any Cata servers around?

Cheers

Druid

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
Yes, there are plenty of Cata (v4.0.6a-v4.3.0) cores around, such as Skyfire and MaNGOS. However, you will be hard-pressed to find a good PlayerBot mod for Cata servers because crucial elements required for it to work were removed in Cata.

As far as MoP goes, there is only like 1 or 2 public cores out there that are very basic. It's going to still be a long time until there are playable MoP cores.

If you want a good server with good bots, use TrinityCore v3.3.5a (Wrath of the Lich King) with LordPsyan's Playerbot patch. Unfortunately, I can't find LordPsyan's patch anymore for some reason but a Google search for TrinityCore playbot for v3.3.5a will get you plenty of results, but make sure it is a fairly new patch because Trinity restructured their core not that long ago which caused the old patches to no longer work.

Playerbot used to be in here:
You can get TrinityCore here:

If you find a working PlayerBot patch, just do a Google search to lean how to apply the patch, then follow one of the many TrinityCore compiling guides in the Tutorial section here.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I had a play with the Single Player Project 3.3.5a but I dont think this is complete, lots of glitches like floating NPCs, quests not working ect, once I have aggro and kill the mob I never lose aggro so have to log out and restart the server, although the actual server was simple to setup, basically 10 minutes and I had a working server. Is the Trinity Core more complete?

Also had a google search for V4.3.0 but it didnt come up with much links that still worked, have you got any direct links for these?

Cheers

Druid

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
SinglePlayerProject is a repack. Basically a precompiled (Almost always older) version of the core with changes the author made. For most completion, it's by far better to compile your own core since it will be fully up-to-date.

My apologies, I meant v4.3.4. Those servers are still well in the earlier development stages but they are playable to a decent degree. Here are a couple of v4.3.4 cores:

TrinityCore's v3.3.5a core is, as far as development goes, pretty complete aside from stray issues here and there. Here's the link for Trinity's v3.3.5a core:

If you really want a Cata server though, I'd suggest SkyFire. They have the most complete v4.0.6a core that I know of and it's updated almost daily:

If you don't know how to compile your own server, check out the tutorials section, there are hundreds of well-written tutorials on how to compile and set up pretty much every core on a variety of architectures and environments.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks again for the reply

Decided just to stick with 3.3.5a for the moment and will be using Trinitys Core, they also have a good setup guide on there website so I will try this tonight.

Just have a few questions.

If I wanted to increase the level cap is this possible? Say I wanted 90 or 100 or 200 (I know just for arguments sake :))

Is it a case of amending tables table such as player_xp_for_level, player_levelstats and player_classlevelstats and putting in appropriate values for the new levels? Also I noticed that the levelstats are based on a tinyint which has a max value of 255, can this me changed to a medium or large int with a greater value or is there game mechanics that stop anything higher than 255?

Obviously to increase in level I need higher level npcs to fight, are creatures easy enough to amend so that I can create some higher level NPCs, is there any community mods that create new zones / creatures that can be imported for this type of use or is the creatures / zones down to the client?

I know lots of high end questions for a newb to private servers. :):

Cheers

Druid

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
Using GM commands (.levelup #) will allow you to reach a max of 255. I *think* the core checks the structure of the DB and will error out if you change the integer type/size, it's worth a try though. Aside from the core checking, I'm not sure if there are client-side limitations preventing you from being over level 255.

However, to allow leveling up via experience above 80, change the MaxPlayerLevel variable in the config. Creating custom creatures is not that hard to do in v3.3.5a cores, you can also just modify existing ones if you want to. Unfortunately for new creatures, you will need to create spawn points for them which isn't that hard but it is very tedious, especially if you want to setup a patrol path for them (Which I really never figured out how to do). Also yes, changing the stats tables for levels over 80 shouldn't cause any problems.

Specific creatures are not locked to zones. You can spawn any creature anywhere you want to.

That's the link to Trinity's wiki where you'll be able to find all the info you need if you want to make DB changes.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi Darkicon

Thanks for all the help so far, I am enjoying messing around with my game and changing stats, XP ect. I have broken it a couple of times but I always take backups.

Onto my next question, is it possible to add custom races? For example getting Worgen, Goblin and maybe pandarin into the 3.3.5a core, possibly a completely new race?

Also is it possible to add completely new items? Are there any tutorials available for this?

Cheers

Druid

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
New items are easy to make. You could either make them yourself in item_template (The wiki gives the info for every field) or use . New races/classes is possible but *extremely* difficult since it requires heavy client and core modification and I've only seen it done a few times.

Back