Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Start a HIGH POPULATION Server

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hello I want to start a WoW server later this month or start june. I have resources to do something good i think and some knowledge whit WoW private servers , i hosted some when i was younger and active player.

I have this questions to help me understand beter what im getting into:

1) What is the current best emulator closest to blizzard latest version?
2) How hard is to fix bugs or release newest version as blizzard releases them also? I am not a coder or anything i will rely on 1 or more persons working.
3) What specifications for server will I need to host up to 1K or more persons without issues? Also can the emulator support this many people?
4) Best place to rent high end servers for gaming in Europe? Preferable France.
5) Best and fastest way to promote server? I have a budget for it so will try keep my announce on top of list.

That's all I can think of now thx for response, also if have good knowledge in developing wow servers PM would like to talk more maybe hire to work for my server. Thx :laugh:

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
I wouldn't have high hopes of getting a high population server going on a public core unless you plan to do something really innovative. Also note that cores which support version beyond v4.x are not that good. They're highly buggy and incomplete. The latest and most developed these days is still v3.3.5a.

1. I'll give 2 suggestions here:
1a: If you want the latest, which is v6.2.4a 21463 then you want .
1b: If you want something that can be popular, then you want v3.3.5a, either or

2. Bit of a twofold question:
2a. If you plan to fix bugs yourself, you'll need a working knowledge of C++ and a lot of reading. You can't really just dive into WoW emulation after taking a few courses in C++.
2b. As far as keeping up with live, it's downright impossible. Ever since v3.x, Blizzard made it very difficult to keep cores up-to-date, simply with the addition of randomizing opcodes with every update. It killed the possibility to having a core practically right behind live. The public development community has also somewhat died down in the past, these days as far as public cores go, there is only really TrinityCore and C-MaNGOS.

3. Good luck getting any public core to support that many concurrent connections without freaking out. But for 1,000 connections, I'd say at least 5GBs of RAM and a good newish CPU. Your biggest concern is network speeds. That's where the bottleneck lies for unofficial servers. You're going to want an upload speed of at least 50mbps to support what you would consider "high population."

4. Can't help you there.

5. Advertise on various "Top x server" websites and spam them with upvotes. Also advertising on forums like these.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, and have fun!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thanks allot will do my best to make something good i think this game is still fun and have a very active community

Back