• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[TUT] How to find Display IDs

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
I will be showing you how to find all kinds of display IDs. This will also show IDs that arent used in game also! I will be using the Key Blade (from Kingdom Hearts) for example.

First you need and

If you don't have the regular Directory for WoW (C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft) you will have to edit the config files of WMV and MWCS to point to the right place.

First Open WoW Model Viewer and on the left side it will show
Code:
Cameras
Character
Creature
Enviroments
Interface
Item
Particles
Spell
Spells
World

Click the + next to items,
Then click the + next to Weapon
Look through the weapons you want...Like i said before we are using the keyblade
So scroll down to stave_2h_other_c_02.m2

Now you see that name...stave_2h_other_c_02
Open MyWarcraftStudio, Click FILE - > Open
If the Data folder opens...Open enUS
Then open locale-enUS.MPQ (if the display ID isn't found in locale-enUS, its in either patch-enUS.MPQ or patch2-enUS.MPQ)

Now that you have locale-enUS.mpq open...on the left side it should show
Code:
DBFilesClient
Fonts[
Interface
Wow.ini

Open the DBFilesClient folder and scroll down to ItemDispalyInfo.dbc
In the box on the top...type in the item you found on WMV.
Which is stave_2h_other_c_02 and click find...
This might take a while...if the scroll bar moves it means its finding it...if it doesnt move...its not in this MPQ file, which means open up one of the patch MPQ files. Once its found...the column on the WAY left, which is ID...Thats your display ID which is 36885 for the keyblade.

Also this will work for anything...Not just weapons..Like Creatures...armor...etc...
You just need to open the correct DBC file
Creatures=CreatureDisplayInfo.dbc
Creatures=CreatureDisplayInfoExtra.dbc
Items=ItemDisplayInfo.dbc
Etc

Hope this helps out!

I will be posting screen shots of this soon!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This can also be used for gameobjects. It should be noted however, that not all of the models in ModelViewer actually have displayIDs in the dbc files, and you can only use the gameobjects you can find the IDs for.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
They do too...
And no u can use it for items/gameobjects/creatures...L2 think b4 u talk...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Er. What exactly do I need to learn before I talk? What did I say that was inaccurate?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
or, if you use mangos (and maybe ascent as well?) there is a .lookup command...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Could you do the same thing with mounts?

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
This can also be used for gameobjects. It should be noted however, that not all of the models in ModelViewer actually have displayIDs in the dbc files, and you can only use the gameobjects you can find the IDs for.

.lookup command doesnt give u display IDs

and this is for Item/Creature/gameobject display IDs etc...you can find lots if display IDs on here...not just gameobjects

And yes all models for items/objects/creatures have display IDs...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
ah mybad, i ment for the game databse ID, xD

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think you may have misread my post. I am well aware that it isn't just for gameobjects. In your first post, you didn't mention that you could find gameobjects, you only pointed out creatures and items. I realize that this method allows you to find display IDs for pretty much everything. The only limitation is that not every gameobject that you can find in ModelViewer has a corresponding display ID. I think all the items and all the creatures are in there, though.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
Actually yes...Every Model in WMV has a display id in the DBC...you just gotta know how to find it...
Watch name a model and ill find the display

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Okay, then find me World/Wmo/kalimdor/buildings/nightelfinn/dsnightelfinn.wmo.
Or World/Kalimdor/darkshore/passivedoodads/moongate/darkshoremoongate.m2.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Here is an Display ID Website:

And use WoWHead link Number as ID.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
Yea...but that shows only the ones that have been USED in game....

Hmm odd i cant seem to find them...but i know the moongate has an ID cause ive seen that in a server before...

Back