Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

my virus scanner won't let me install Kobold

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
My virus scanner prevents me from installing Kobold. Each time I attempt to run Kobold server for the first time, it pops up a warning about a generic trojan backdoor and it pops up a warning about oreans32.sys in my system32 folder.
Subsequent attempts to run Kobold results in a window from "Themida" that says the security sub-system could not be updated.
Does Kobold have some kind of protection scheme that is causing my virus scanner to keep me from preventing it to execute?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
I've got the exact same problem. If someone could help me, I'd appreciate it.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
any suggestions? :) (for antivirus programs, im using AVG atm)

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
hehe just instal kobold whitout AV on , your AV things that there is a virus becose its build for action like that , so turn it of and normaly everythings go's like it must go! BTW AGV Or AVASt are better then NORTON, they find some virus and they delete them also , not like NOrton find it and do nothing , seeya soon

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Symnatec AV 10 Corporate Edition + Sygate Personal Firewall I use this combination and it works very well for me.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
themida and oceans.sys are forms of content protection. Oceans.sys is installed as a system driver and sucks up resources even when the software isn't running. If you google you'll find plenty of complaints about it. It's considered malware because it installs without the consent of the user, and that's why your virus software prevents it, to give you a choice. If your AV software complains then it is doing its job.

You should be able to override your AV software. You have no alternative if you want to use kobold.

Your next best bet is Mangos, which I highly recommend. The more people who use it and support it the better it will get, and I trust software I can get my hands into way farther than people who pull a Sony and slip torpedoes into their releases.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Well good luck to both teams, however, MaNGOS is not aiming to be a WoW server emulator, Ludmilla is.

So its wrong on two accounts (blizzard and mangos terms) to use MaNGOS (for public servers anyway)

Wrong on one account for using Luddy (blizzard only).

Then again this all depends on what kind of country you live in :)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I just wish the Kobold guys were a little more forthcoming about what you're getting into if you install their software. Because of the nature of themida, kobold won't run under an emulator (wine, vmware, etc). Which means I won't be using Kobold. Much to my regret.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Kobold is closed-source?
I disabled my AV and Ludmilla was able to install and run. It does seem to be a bit of a resource pig compared to Mangos. While it seems much more refined than Mangos, the content protection scheme is a bit of a turn-off for me.
Besides, I like supporting open-source projects. I will stick to Mangos for now.

It sounds like Themida is like Starforce.
Now to go figure out how to get Themida off my computer.

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Kobold is closed-source?
I disabled my AV and Ludmilla was able to install and run. It does seem to be a bit of a resource pig compared to Mangos. While it seems much more refined than Mangos, the content protection scheme is a bit of a turn-off for me.
Besides, I like supporting open-source projects. I will stick to Mangos for now.

It sounds like Themida is like Starforce.
Now to go figure out how to get Themida off my computer.

It's exactly like Starforce. They used a third party code obfuscater intending (I would guess) to prevent people from reverse engineering their reverse engineered emulator. A stealth driver that impacts system and software performance. How well has this worked in the past? Considering the architects of the software Kobold emulates did much the same I think it hypocritical of the Kobold maintainers, especially if themida isn't a registered copy. I find it difficult to respect or trust people that act that way. They had my respect right up to the moment themida threw a fit because it couldn't take over my machine.

Back