Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Is it worth making new Wow Private Servers?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I've had a few years out from the private server scene, and comparing now to back then it seems like it is starting to die out. There are the big established servers, then a few others getting by, so is there much point left in making a new server?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
But unfortunately I don't have that much time, and I intend on doing a very large project depending on what game I chose. I mean if I spent 3-6 months making something, by that point the whole community could be dying out entirely.

Reaction score
But unfortunately I don't have that much time, and I intend on doing a very large project depending on what game I chose. I mean if I spent 3-6 months making something, by that point the whole community could be dying out entirely.

Every project will fail or it will not be good if you don't put time and effort into it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You could try and compete by trying to set up an environment that doesnt relate to standard Blizzard gameplay. This will make it more interdasting for your goal-group to join it. gl hf :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
there are so much players and still counting out there that might be looking for servers too so i think it's worth it..
just let them know about it..

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Honestly - WoW scene is dying and so is WoW really. If you really work on it (have features that others don't have) then you might succeed, but that'll take more resources than gain.

As for the dying part - as you can see the activity in this subforum is nonexistant. I think that says a lot about the current situation.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I would not do it. There are many private servers that have more than 20000 people online. To be a successful private server to start as Molten-WoW, you need a lot of advertising. But trying is never wrong;).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes and No. If you've got something that puts you above the rest, and you build and promote something that people get interested in then it will be successful. But if your server blends in, doesn't have anything interesting or new to allow people to waste hours and hours on it then you're going to fail.

The problem is, a lot of people play on private servers and want like the best of this, and the max level to start off with, and insanely high rates. They'll clear content in a week or two and then they'll leave. Why? Because they've done everything. They were spoonfed. Avoid this if you head in the WoW direction mate.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I've had a few years out from the private server scene, and comparing now to back then it seems like it is starting to die out. There are the big established servers, then a few others getting by, so is there much point left in making a new server?

The simple answer is NO and make a public server is illegal.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
As i know more people are playing in official servers now, because it's getting cheaper.

Lord of the Legion
Reaction score
What is with all the people and the legality? In case you haven't noticed, you're on a forum all about emulators for Warcraft...

If you want to make your own server and have it successful, you need your own niche that puts you above the rest and heavy advertising (Advertising is easy though). These days, that's not too easy, the niche that is. I would stay away from paid features however, they can put you in Blizzard's radar unless you're hosting internationally in a country that does not recognize Copyright law. The downside of that is limited demographics though. Statistically, international countries (England) have faster internet connections than the US, they can manage to play on a US server with minimal latency but people in the US have a hard time playing on international servers.

You can look at recent servers that ARE successful. Just off the top of my head, ScriptCraft. Started in I think early 2011. Their niche was an extraordinarily well coded Blizz-like Vanilla server and they advertised constantly before they opened their servers. Opening day, within an hour there were tons of people playing. So it is possible but difficult.

You will never have a popular server using an open-source core though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What is with all the people and the legality? In case you haven't noticed, you're on a forum all about emulators for Warcraft...

If you want to make your own server and have it successful, you need your own niche that puts you above the rest and heavy advertising (Advertising is easy though). These days, that's not too easy, the niche that is. I would stay away from paid features however, they can put you in Blizzard's radar unless you're hosting internationally in a country that does not recognize Copyright law. The downside of that is limited demographics though. Statistically, international countries (England) have faster internet connections than the US, they can manage to play on a US server with minimal latency but people in the US have a hard time playing on international servers.

You can look at recent servers that ARE successful. Just off the top of my head, ScriptCraft. Started in I think early 2011. Their niche was an extraordinarily well coded Blizz-like Vanilla server and they advertised constantly before they opened their servers. Opening day, within an hour there were tons of people playing. So it is possible but difficult.

You will never have a popular server using an open-source core though.

Not entirely true. You can, you just need to take the time to fix up instances and implement custom features. Public cores are a good base but you're not going to have a popular server if you compile a core then immediately open.

Back