Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

3D Studio Max / Autodesk sotware

Reaction score
Hello!

I would like to start a discussion around design software, mostly Autodesk related, but other software could be discussed as well.

Since this is an MMO development forum, it would be interesting to hear other members' tips, tricks and/or tutorials regarding 3D design software.

• What software are you using?
  • Why do you use that particular software?
  • What do you consider benefits of using your preferred software over others?
  • What difficulties do you often run into regarding 3D models and design for MMO's?
  • What limitations do you often run into regarding model/terrain design?
  • Post questions to any difficulties you may be experiencing... who knows, an experienced member may have a solution :)

Feel free to comment on any or all of the above points. Up to you.

Please note that any discussion relating to illegal software will be deleted without prior notice.

"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you're into modelling for games and stuff like that, 3DS Max or Blender are usually your best options. Blender is free and open source and is massively used, for example; in the ArmA 3 community, whereas 3DS Max is paid for (trial available) however it has some features that Blender doesn't have. Another good option is Maya.

However, if you're looking to go professional for studios the majority use 3DS Max from what I've seen in development blogs and such.

If you're doing 3D models, it's best to keep the poly-count as low as possible to reduce the load on the users system and keep the file size to a minimum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm mostly using 3dsmax and Maya. Why? Because I still have my student license ;* and because I'm used to those two. Maya mostly for animations and 3dsMax for modeling. Tried Blender twice never like the UI and stuff. It's just too confusing for me. I know where everything in 3dsmax and maya is, know shortcuts and stuff like that. Unfortunately you're not allowed to do stuff commercially. Just personal education, and you've a watermark on everything, to show that it was created using the student version..

To be honest, If I haven't had a student license I would try to get money to buy those two softwares, just because I learned everything I know on it. It's hard to get used to other softwares if you learned everything on one particular software.

If you're doing 3D models, it's best to keep the poly-count as low as possible to reduce the load on the users system and keep the file size to a minimum.

This really depends... For animations which are not used in real time rendering, it's better to have the highest possible polycount. It looks better and sharper, but If you're doing models for games, or other softwares which use real time rendering then yes! You're absolutely correct my sir!

Reaction score
Hey great thread !

What software are you using?
I like Blender :)

Why do you use that particular software?
It's free open source, and there is big commonity to get support, also tons of tutorials and info.

What do you consider benefits of using your preferred software over others?
That its free and u can do whatever u want with whatever you create.

What difficulties do you often run into regarding 3D models and design for MMO's?
Creating character models is the hardest for me, takes load of time to make a good low poly character, the details, nose,mouth,etc.

What limitations do you often run into regarding model/terrain design?
None

Post questions to any difficulties you may be experiencing... who knows, an experienced member may have a solution :)
Want to learn creating UV assets and using them on my own models, i learnt some way but it wasnt that clear so when u render things dont look that well, also any better way on creating character models? and last and least animations, atleast walking animation,running animation,idle animation, and moving animation would be good to learn in the best way.

Back