Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Need advice on mobo and cpu replacement

Reaction score
Hey guys hope you're well. My pc finally stopped working today, it's been a long time coming and I'm pretty sure it's my mobo and cpu being a witch. When I boot my monitor gets no signal from my gpu or mobo, it was working fine this morning then cut out while I was gaming (possibly psu I know but that seems otherwise ok). I've been switching parts and cables around all day and can't seem to make it work.

So I'm looking to replace my mobo and cpu. Will I lose anything on my hard drive?

My budget is gonna be only around £100 for both parts but I don't need the best, just something that will get me back online and gaming etc

I was using this
and

Should I go for the same or would you recommend something else?

I've got 2x 4gb ram and my nvidia 650 ti which I'm keeping. Also got my old butt tower, 1tb hdd and psu.

My budget just rose significantly!

Now I'm looking at £450-£500

I'm thinking new case and psu, new mobo, new cpu, and maybe an ssd to boot from and have a few games on

Gonna keep my old hdd and use as storage and everything else, will I be able to keep the data on this hdd? Maybe keep the old ram and gpu too, maybe upgrade them too if it's within budget.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
First, is your RAM DDR3? I'm asking because I understand your PC is old.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Reaction score
First off...we need to figure out what the problem is...cause you could go out and spend $500 on all that stuff only to plug your GPU in and find out it was the problem in the first place...then your broke...in the same boat just with newer parts...

Does your present mobo have onboard graphics? If so can you turn them back on and see if it works...or install the GPU in another computer (friends maybe)...just to makes sure the GPU is good.

To answer your question...yes your HD will retain all it's information if it's not damaged during transfer.

When you boot you say your not getting signal to your monitor....do you get all the normal POST beeps, just no picture? What kind of input to the monitor are you using? HDMI? They have been known to stop working sometimes...and alot cheaper to replace a HDMI than an entire computer.

When you boot...do the fans still spin? Everything seem normal outside of the monitor staying black?

I mean it's your money and your decision...but my opinion is verify the problem before blowing your wad....could be an simple and inexpensive fix to get you back running.

Reaction score
Hey guys hope you're well. My pc finally stopped working today, it's been a long time coming and I'm pretty sure it's my mobo and cpu being a witch. When I boot my monitor gets no signal from my gpu or mobo, it was working fine this morning then cut out while I was gaming (possibly psu I know but that seems otherwise ok). I've been switching parts and cables around all day and can't seem to make it work.

So I'm looking to replace my mobo and cpu. Will I lose anything on my hard drive?

My budget is gonna be only around £100 for both parts but I don't need the best, just something that will get me back online and gaming etc

I was using this
and

Should I go for the same or would you recommend something else?

I've got 2x 4gb ram and my nvidia 650 ti which I'm keeping. Also got my old butt tower, 1tb hdd and psu.

My budget just rose significantly!

Now I'm looking at £450-£500

I'm thinking new case and psu, new mobo, new cpu, and maybe an ssd to boot from and have a few games on

Gonna keep my old hdd and use as storage and everything else, will I be able to keep the data on this hdd? Maybe keep the old ram and gpu too, maybe upgrade them too if it's within budget.
First off, it's a bit weird giving recommendations globally simply due to price differences; something which is good value here may be way overpriced over there. Better to link where you will be buying it from, and I'll see what fits best within your budget.

Secondly, if you are using Windows 7 your HDD will detect a major system change and download new drivers, but you should still be able to boot & get all your files. I would recommend only backing up your stuff at that point and still doing a full fresh format (or just wipe it to use as 2ndry & install Windows on your new SSD).

First, is your RAM DDR3? I'm asking because I understand your PC is old.

His RAM is DDR3. I'm not asking because I understand his mobo only supports DDR3.

First off...we need to figure out what the problem is...cause you could go out and spend $500 on all that stuff only to plug your GPU in and find out it was the problem in the first place...then your broke...in the same boat just with newer parts...

Does your present mobo have onboard graphics? If so can you turn them back on and see if it works...or install the GPU in another computer (friends maybe)...just to makes sure the GPU is good.

To answer your question...yes your HD will retain all it's information if it's not damaged during transfer.

When you boot you say your not getting signal to your monitor....do you get all the normal POST beeps, just no picture? What kind of input to the monitor are you using? HDMI? They have been known to stop working sometimes...and alot cheaper to replace a HDMI than an entire computer.

When you boot...do the fans still spin? Everything seem normal outside of the monitor staying black?

I mean it's your money and your decision...but my opinion is verify the problem before blowing your wad....could be an simple and inexpensive fix to get you back running.

True, it could be a relatively easy fix, but it looks like he may also be looking for a reason to upgrade some stuff :p

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Reaction score
True, it could be a relatively easy fix, but it looks like he may also be looking for a reason to upgrade some stuff :p

I think you might be on to something there lol

Reaction score
Rish is right it's ddr3 :)

Aye I've been thinking for a while that I need to upgrade. My gpu works fine in another pc so I know it's alive! Monitor works fine too and another working monitor has the same problem on my pc, no input signal, whether it's plugged into my gpu or vga from the mobo. Just tired it again to confirm the beeps, I'm getting one when I turn it on, then shortly after a double beep then it just hangs there. Fans etc are all spinning. If I press the power button once it then immediately turns off.

It's good to know I can likely keep my files from my old hdd. I'll learn how to put it into my wife's pc and backup my important stuff onto her main drive or wait until I have my new rig.

Realistically it's going to be worth me getting mostly new parts if I can.

I guess I'll be shooting for;
Case
Mobo
Cpu
Ram
Psu
Ssd (maybe 120gb) - This can easily be cut from the list to help with budget, I'll just keep my regular hdd.

Then I re-use my 650 ti and possibly have my old hdd as storage etc.

I'm likely to be ordering from somewhere like they have bundles you can customize. To confirm my budget is £500 (GBP) not $500 (USD)

Totally forgot about the wild difference in hardware prices from country to country! Really appreciate the help guys!

I think you might be on to something there lol

Aye I've been fixing this and replacing bits on and off for years. I love it but it may have finally kicked the bucket and be worth all new parts :p

edit: any thoughts on this?

This website seems pretty good, can customize parts and leave out stuff that I already have

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeh that's a decent enough setup for the price, however the GPU in that is about par with your 650 ti. In some games your 650 ti will perform better, in some games the R7 260x will perform better. Not really an "upgrade" per say, but not a downgrade either. What's your wife running? If her GPU is due for an upgrade than it might be worth it if you are giving her your old parts.

The bundles on overclockers.co.uk are going to save you some coin, but they do all come with DDR3 RAM. You don't really want to be mixing RAM, so again it may be a viable option if you're gonna be upgrading the Mrs.

Reaction score
Thanks man I'll see what price I can get a similar build for with a mobo bundle + tower etc from overclockers. I've ordered from them before and they've always been good. As for the ram I could just get a bundle with it's own 8gb and keep mine as backup. The wife's actually got a radeon 7800 so I don't think I'd be improving her performance either lol

Certainly looks like a better option to get the parts separate, no point having another gpu hanging around when I'm trying to save money :p

Ok here's my first potential build Ilike the look of it but as always appreciate your input! Went through the system configuration on overclockers, I'm happy to pay a few extra quid to have it built tested then sent to me.

Case: Silverstone SST-RL04B Midi-Tower USB 3.0 Redline - Black £29.16
Cpu: AMD A10-6800K Black Edition 4.10GHz (Socket FM2) APU Richland Quad Core £103.99
Mobo: Gigabyte F2A55M-HD2 AMD A55 (Socket FM2+) Micro ATX Motherboard £40.99
Ram: TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel £49.99
Gpu: Reusing my 650 ti
Hdd: Samsung 840 Evo Series 120GB Solid State Drive £79.99 + Use my existing 1tb as a 2nd drive
Optical drives: Using my usb dvd/rw
Psu: Super Flower Golden Green 550W 80+ Gold PSU £49.99

Should I tone down on the Cpu and get a better Mobo?

Last edited:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Reaction score
If keeping your current GPU there is no need to purchase an APU because the GPU in it is wasted....so I would recommend (since you seem to like AMD processors)

£113.99

£50.99

Piledriver processors can be OC'ed up to 5ghz with proper cooling...and with the AM3+ socket you'll have upgrade option far into the future since this is AMD's latest socket. Getting the AM2+ socket mobo locks you into a much older processor with no upgrade options in the future....

And if I'm remembering correctly doesn't an APU processor share your RAM? That means your APU will take half of your 4gb of RAM for it's memory...I seem to remember an article someone stating that your RAM speeds will affect your GPU's capabilities...

Here's a review where the APU you chose was put up against an FX-4300....remember this is the 4300...I'm recommending the FX-8320 8 core over the 4300 4 core...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ahhhh I had no idea what that was! When building a pc I'm a n00b with half a map! I knew that cpu/apu had features I didn't need when I saw the price, thanks for confirming!

I like amd because I seem to be going for a lot of budget builds and they've always done me well! :D

Reaction score
Case: Silverstone SST-RL04B Midi-Tower USB 3.0 Redline - Black £29.16 - get it if you want it
Cpu: AMD A10-6800K Black Edition 4.10GHz (Socket FM2) APU Richland Quad Core £103.99 - swap for the FX 8-core Black for £113.99
Mobo: Gigabyte F2A55M-HD2 AMD A55 (Socket FM2+) Micro ATX Motherboard £40.99 - go with the Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) for £50.99
Ram: TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel £49.99 - your RAM should be fine
Gpu: Reusing my 650 ti - sounds good
Hdd: Samsung 840 Evo Series 120GB Solid State Drive £79.99 + Use my existing 1tb as a 2nd drive - sounds good
Optical drives: Using my usb dvd/rw - sounds good
Psu: Super Flower Golden Green 550W 80+ Gold PSU £49.99 - sounds good

sounds pretty solid otherwise

Reaction score
Thanks again Rishwin I've got my money today and I've gone through the site, the only change is a slightly cheaper ssd Samsung 120GB at £63.98

My total order including fans for the case is £358.90 (including delivery) which is well inside my budget of £480, great success! This leaves me breathing space to either upgrade my ram, gpu or if everything is running fine, I'll upgrade my monitor! :)

Last edited:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Reaction score
I'm glad Rish got all the credit :(

Reaction score
First few pics!

I barely had it together and then it was rageparty! So it didn't want to be messing about with it open :p I need to go back inside to put in one more fan but everything is working great. I've even got my old HDD running as D: Still backing some bits up and I'll be formatting that soon.

The tower is great for it's price, plenty of space and the drives are really easy to get to.
1 - Need advice on mobo and cpu replacement - RaGEZONE Forums 2 - Need advice on mobo and cpu replacement - RaGEZONE Forums

3 - Need advice on mobo and cpu replacement - RaGEZONE Forums 4 - Need advice on mobo and cpu replacement - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Reaction score
That case does look nice...I like the upgrade possibilities....the large hole behind the processor for watercooling is a nice option to have.

Back