Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Amd switches to 65nm for R600

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
source the inquirer

more here

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
woop woop! :) Might have to check that beast out sometime.. still waiting on the 8900's as well.. Even if they are cutting 1/3rd the pwoer, its still quite a bit considering how much the 8900 series will be pulling.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
woop woop! :) Might have to check that beast out sometime.. still waiting on the 8900's as well.. Even if they are cutting 1/3rd the pwoer, its still quite a bit considering how much the 8900 series will be pulling.

the only diffrence between the 8800 en the 8900 is that the 8900 is made on 65 nm just like the r600 now
and they r probably uzing ddr4 on the 8900? cant remember but i figure they will

so the only difference is that they require less power , give off less heat , and will be clocked higher (just like now the r600 will be)

its gonna be very interesting when we r finally gonna see some benchmarks of the 8900 vs the r600

Reaction score
the only diffrence between the 8800 en the 8900 is that the 8900 is made on 65 nm just like the r600 now
and they r probably uzing ddr4 on the 8900? cant remember but i figure they will

so the only difference is that they require less power , give off less heat , and will be clocked higher (just like now the r600 will be)

its gonna be very interesting when we r finally gonna see some benchmarks of the 8900 vs the r600

You are thinking of the G90. It's going to be a 65nm version of the G80.

Also the 8900 isn't probably going to happen. The next chip is going to be the 8800 Ultra. Probably have about a 650clock core with 1.5gb of DDR3 memory or upgraded to DDR4.

NoPeace - out

Loyal Member
Reaction score
yeah, a 1.5GB memory ddr3/4 is definatly possible.. they are probably going to use the new memory modules they are making (Cant remember the name of them) that are smaller, and you can theoretically fit twice as many on.

I think the 8900 woudl be a worthy upgrade from my 8800 GTS.. just sell mine off to a buddy for 250 bucks or 200.. depending on price drops, and fork up an extra 300 for the 8900 ultra... that memory amount/change is going to be impressive for sure.. along with alot less heat buildup due to lower wattage needed and the new 65nm core.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
oh i thought the g90 was going to be the 8900 series :s

and erm wtf 1.5 gb ram y the hell do u need that much its redicules no game will every requier 1.5 gb
@ extreem resolution u aint even pulling 1 gig
this is just gonna cost more money for something u r never gonne use the full potential off

Loyal Member
Reaction score
When new games start coming out DX10 for VIsta, I am pretty sure they will utalize every bit of memory a GPU can use. Along with being quite a bit faster.. I wouldnt be surprised if the Ultra would open up more piplines then the standard 128 the 8800 gtx has.. they are definatly able to do it if they wanted to.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
they are probably going to use the new memory modules they are making (Cant remember the name of them) that are smaller, and you can theoretically fit twice as many on.

XDR2 perhaps? Gonna be available this year...

The specs for it look amazing O.O

Reaction score
yeah, a 1.5GB memory ddr3/4 is definatly possible.. they are probably going to use the new memory modules they are making (Cant remember the name of them) that are smaller, and you can theoretically fit twice as many on.

Yeah the Quadro version of the 8800GTX has 1.5gb of memory but clocked lower. So seeing the 8800 Ultra is very likely. Whether it be DDR3 or DDR4 is a different story.

And the new kind of memory they are making is the embeded RAM that the x360's Xenos uses. Which is like a massive amount of cache which makes things like HDR with no performance loss possible. The G90 might have and the G100 will most likely have it.

I think the 8900 woudl be a worthy upgrade from my 8800 GTS.. just sell mine off to a buddy for 250 bucks or 200.. depending on price drops, and fork up an extra 300 for the 8900 ultra... that memory amount/change is going to be impressive for sure.. along with alot less heat buildup due to lower wattage needed and the new 65nm core.

Probably wont be a 8900. Since there is going to be a 8800 Ultra =P

From what I've read they are planning on skipping the 8900 and going straigth to the G90 at the end of summer. Going to move the G80 to 65nm from 90nm. Which should let them reach about 1ghz core and then top it with 2gb of DDR4. :drools:

So makes no since to have a 8900 when the 8800 Ultra is comming out and a few months latter the 9800 comes out. =P

Also the G100 should be about next Februaryish. That should be a whole new chips.

And yeah. Spending 200-300 bucks to go from a 320mb GTS to a 1.5gb Ultra is worth it. As 320mb isn't enough RAM to run HDR + 4xAA on a 16x10 resolution. =P

I might get myself a 8800GTX and use EVGA's setup to upgrade to the Ultra in April.

Just imagine dual Ultra's running DX10 games with 8xAA and 16xHQAF with HDR of course. :drools:

oh i thought the g90 was going to be the 8900 series :s

and erm wtf 1.5 gb ram y the hell do u need that much its redicules no game will every requier 1.5 gb
@ extreem resolution u aint even pulling 1 gig
this is just gonna cost more money for something u r never gonne use the full potential off

The G90 isn't the 8900. The G81 would be the 8900. =P

And why would you need 1.5gb of RAM? Well running 19x12 and higherwith high levels of filtering and AA will cause tearing without at least 1gb of RAM.

And the x2900XTX is comming with 1gb of RAM. So by putting 1.5gb on the card they will have a marketing advantage. Also the board was already made to support it as the Quadro version has it already.

When new games start coming out DX10 for VIsta, I am pretty sure they will utalize every bit of memory a GPU can use. Along with being quite a bit faster.. I wouldnt be surprised if the Ultra would open up more piplines then the standard 128 the 8800 gtx has.. they are definatly able to do it if they wanted to.

Most likely they'll have more shaders unlocked. nVidia has already made comments that there is going to be a driver tweak that will unlock more shader performance with the G80 core. So you can be sure that the Ultra will have that exclusive tweak. =P

Also for DX10 games. At 19x12 Crysis runs at 25-28fps with max settings and NO AA on a 8800GTX + x6800 (both at stock speed). Then again that game is pushing it to the limits. 1.5gb of memory is going to help tons in that game with it's insane textures.

But for the most part. DX10 is going to make things play better and look better at the same time.

:/ i wont one now... but what will the pricing be? :p

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
That would kill AMD if they did that. It's going to cost the same as the 8800GTX. At 600 USD/Euro.

Same price the 8800 Ultra is going to be. AMD cannot afford to have overpriced cards. They want people to buy them and if they can't afford to buy it then they will buy nVidia cards and in the end. AMD will get even more in debt.
NoPeace - out

i was talking about the soon to come nvidia cards :O my bad

Reaction score
i was talking about the soon to come nvidia cards :O my bad

Said it anyways. =P

The Ultra should cost about 600 USD/Euro or less. Would be suicide to go higher with how the x2900XTX is so powerful and is costing the same. So if the Ultra performs the same it'll be the same price. If it performs lower then it might just be lower.

But then again SLI > CrossFire so the price might just say the same for the people that want to go dual (like me).

The x2900XTX is very tempting but CF support is crap and I wouldn't want to be bothered by it again. SLI is mature and it's all for me. Not to mention the new cards don't come out till April (nVidia) and May (AMD).

NoPeace - out

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Also for DX10 games. At 19x12 Crysis runs at 25-28fps with max settings and NO AA on a 8800GTX

u mean 1900 x 1200? how do u know that ?
and omg
so low on such a monster card , i expected it would be able to handle it eazy

Loyal Member
Reaction score
Its because of the high res details. Whenever the 1.5GB cards start coming out, I can probably expect youll see a large rise, most especially when more pipelines are being pushed in. *drools* Just imagine when the next series cards start pumping out 256 pipelines on a 45nm core O.O

Reaction score
u mean 1900 x 1200? how do u know that ?
and omg
so low on such a monster card , i expected it would be able to handle it eazy

There's an article on it somewhere on the web. Forgot where I found it.

And it's expected to be honest. The quality of textures that game has is amazing and the 8800GTX only has 768mb of RAM.

If you increase the RAM it should be a massive gain in FPS.

Its because of the high res details. Whenever the 1.5GB cards start coming out, I can probably expect youll see a large rise, most especially when more pipelines are being pushed in. *drools* Just imagine when the next series cards start pumping out 256 pipelines on a 45nm core O.O

Do you mean shader units that DX10 cards use? =P

But yeah. 1.5gb is going to make that game run so much faster on the same core. The G80 core is amazingly fast. Hence why nVidia wants to use it for the G90 also. Just make it smaller and then it'll at higher speeds.

Doubt it'll be 45nm any time soon. AMD is close with 65nm but 45nm is a long way off for them. But having 256 shaders would be pretty sweet.

NoPeace - out

Back