Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Which Antivirus software is really the best?

Reaction score
I just recently bought a new PC, and since I never really cared about having an Anti-virus installed I don't really know which one I should get. If you guys would be so kind as to give me your opinions :3

TNT

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Pair MalwareBytes with Avast and your good to go :D.

I use the free versions on both and i have no problems, but u have to remember if you as the user bring a virus into your computer and tell the programs that this item or w.e is not a virus then you will get it.

Last edited:
Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
I know this is about the best but I also want to say what you shouldn't get. I have Norton and I wouldn't recommend it at all, had lots of issues with it on Windows 8. Most of the free Anti-virus like malwarebytes is good.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition is what I have used for a while, I didn't have any problem so far.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and SpyBot Search and Destroy....these hog no resources and install no crapware on your computer.

Reaction score
To be honest I never used any antivirus except the default security found in Windows 7 and above. Never had an issue or a virus, you just have to know what you can download and what you can't. Usually antiviruses eat up resources, precious resources.

These are just my opinions as I'm not really paranoid about my PC's security. If something goes really wrong there's always re-install windows option, but ever since Windows 7 came out that almost never happened to me.

The World Is Yours
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Pair MalwareBytes with Avast and your good to go :D.

I use the free versions on both and i have no problems, but u have to remember if you as the user bring a virus into your computer and tell the programs that this item or w.e is not a virus then you will get it.

This is exactly what I have. I do regular scans on MalwareBytes but most of the time I don't start the service, however Avast is always on. Sometimes it may get annoying when Avast has pop-ups offering their products but it's nothing serious, and I chose to have a custom installation just to have the basic needs of an antivirus software. It works fine without the Software Updater, Grime Fighter, Home security tools, whatever they're called - they're not required.

Reaction score
Almost everything paid software includes is not required. All you need are the basics and you're good to go.

I laugh when people tell me their firewall in their desktop antivirus is better than the built-in system firewall.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I've been using Avast for a few years on a couple of computers and have never had a problem. It's free, smart software and give good protection to computer

Last edited by a moderator:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Antivirus companies prey on not only a users lack of technological knowledge, but their fear. They use this to make you pay for and install software you really just don't need.

Pop up ad's should never be included in antivirus software because by definition the pop up itself is adware, one of the things you are trying to combat.

Reactions: Ron
Reaction score
Antivirus companies prey on not only a users lack of technological knowledge, but their fear. They use this to make you pay for and install software you really just don't need.

Pop up ad's should never be included in antivirus software because by definition the pop up itself is adware, one of the things you are trying to combat.

Something I'll never get. People want to stop popups, but they're fine when it's their antivirus software telling them to upgrade for more features.

It's like you pay someone to install their adware on your PC. Some are worse than others, but still.

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
They all have pros and cons. I use AVG Free which I dislike, but can't be bothered changing, MalwareBytes for spyware and malware, and GMER for rootkit removal. Speaking of rootkits, what do you non-AV people use for rootkit scans? I'm just curious if the Windows ones do that as well?

Back