Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Budget Updrading.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm planning on upgrading some parts on my pc, but only 1 at a time. I need some help deciding which to get first, and if my selections are not to bad.

My specs atm.

ASUS A8R-MX (bought this awhile back, has no support etc but has run well for awhile.)
AMD 64 4000+ 2.4ghz
2gb Kingston 3200 DDR (mb only supports up to 3200 :/ )
gforce 7600 GT (was cheap at the time and has done me good)

My 2 choices on upgrades are ram or video card, and like the title says.. it's on a small budget. I'm not wanting to spend more than 120$ really.

EDIT:
After re-reading the PC Buying guide sticky for the same price I could either get this card instead?
EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

The reason for the ram seeing as it's the same almost as mine is, I'm going for 3-4gb to try and help with performance while gaming.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks :drinks_no

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Sorry meant to add that. This upgrade is to run Warhammer online with less lag. I can run it fine for the most part but it can lag up for a few secs and I'm trying to lessen that some. :punch:

Reaction score
Go for the 9800GT, however your CPU and RAM will bottleneck it. The RAM especially is definitely NOT worth upgrading because of it's low speed you will not notice any performance gain at all. 2gb is just fine until you can afford to change your Motherboard & CPU.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'd recommend you to save enough money first, at least $700.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, however after a little thought I decided it was time to actually start building a new rig anyways. I went on newegg and picked out a new mobo/cpu and luck may be it was the same as was suggested for the Budget Home / Games build guide.

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

Next week I'm going to obviously have to get some ram seeing as I have DDR ram. I've been wanting to upgrade to dual core for awhile but never really felt the need to as all the games I have played have ran fine.

That is the ram I plan to get, it's almost the same as what was suggested in the buying guide.

One question, with this ram/cpu combo would the 9800 still bottleneck alot if any at all? No big deal if so because I'm positive I'm going to see a nice upgrade in performance.

Thanks for the help

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
get a cpu more like and your good to go

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
It won't bottleneck it alot, but since AMD processors are so cheap, why don't you go with what TheMasher suggested? A Phenom X3 or X4 would do you good. Or just get the AMD Phenom X4 9850.

Skilled Illusionist
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I would suggest u buy Intel Processor than AMD, Intel Processor can stand heat and i personally think its performance is better than AMD

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Can stand heat?
Wtf?

Maybe you mean it doesn't produce as much heat?

And that would only apply to certain processors.

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Most processors are made out of the same material, saying one processor can take more heat doesn't make any sense, unless he was just talking about the threshold on it.

And anyway, would the heat dissipation be left up to the user in the end? If he has heat problems he should order a good HS/F.

I do agree go with Intel, but basing the decision on how much heat a processor can "stand" isn't the best choice.

One processor may create more heat than another, but processors are generally made out of the same material, and even then, he just said an Intel processor in general, that seems kind of biased.

Skilled Illusionist
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well Mod frozenrat, u have a point there too, I agree with you. Intel Processors are better in the form of performance i think Intel is better.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
I would suggest u buy Intel Processor than AMD, Intel Processor can stand heat and i personally think its performance is better than AMD

He don't have the right socket for an intel processor.

Intel processors (C2D series) are considered "the only option" when building PCs today, but when I saw the best phenom versus the best C2D to a similar price I noticed the performance weren't different at all. In fact, Phenom was slightly better. The price of Phenom is really good, but the performance can't match the more expensive C2Ds.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I always used to use AMD CPUs but since I bought a Q6600 I've got to side with Intel. They just seem to work better, I never had an AMD that didnt have stability issues but I've had none from my Intel chip

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
He don't have the right socket for an intel processor.

Intel processors (C2D series) are considered "the only option" when building PCs today, but when I saw the best phenom versus the best C2D to a similar price I noticed the performance weren't different at all. In fact, Phenom was slightly better. The price of Phenom is really good, but the performance can't match the more expensive C2Ds.

If you read, he's also buying a new motherboard.

And you're comparing way different products, You're comparing a Dual Core to a Triple or Quad core processor.

There are no Dual Core Phenoms yet, although they were scheduled to be released already, there are none as of now.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
If you read, he's also buying a new motherboard.

And you're comparing way different products, You're comparing a Dual Core to a Triple or Quad core processor.

There are no Dual Core Phenoms yet, although they were scheduled to be released already, there are none as of now.

If you read, his new mobo isn't S775.

C2D includes quad-core processors.

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you read, his new mobo isn't S775.

C2D includes quad-core processors.

No kidding.

I mean he's getting a new motherboard, which means he can change that also.

And there's C2D and C2Q.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
No kidding.

I mean he's getting a new motherboard, which means he can change that also.

And there's C2D and C2Q.

He already decided on the mobo >.>

Yeh yeh, noticed it now. Could've sworn it said Core 2 Duo on my Q6600 ;)

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What I was getting at is I was trying to suggest him a new processor, and in which case of course he would have to get a new motherboard, he was asking for suggestions, I gave them

Back