Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Building a new pc

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
well im going to build a new pc in about a month so im planning out a build need suggestions

CPU: $314.99

PSU: $254.99

RAM: $149.99

Mobo: $359.99

Blu-ray/dvd drive: $69.99

SSD: $519.99

Monitor: x3 $319.00

GPU: 2x $799.00

Case: $289.99

CPU cooler: $122.99

Fans: 4x $24.95

total $4440.73

this is for gaming. also is anything coming out soon thats better i should get then what im lookin at so far?

Last edited:
Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Spending $600 on 16GB RAM is a waste of money and overkill really. 8GB would be more than sufficient. . Comes with a fan too and is only $140

Reaction score
$1600 just for graphics cards is perfectly normal for "gaming". No, there is absolutely no game that you can't max out with a single 6990, even across 3 monitors in Eyefinity, so there is no reason other than bragging rights for getting 2.

FYI, that PSU won't run all of that.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1) Your kinda off the charts with blowing money for no reason. Expensive isn't always quality.

2) Wait for the bulldozer. You only got less then 2 months left till its launch. And it completely spanks the 2600k in gaming for less price. It also supports native 1866mhz DDR3, the 990 chipset supports both CrossfireX and SLI, bla bla you know the rest...

3) Its better to build a rig that will run the biggest game out right now smoothly and that's it. Don't try future proofing a computer, it wont happen. Build something cheap that's going to get the job done playing any title out right now. Then in the next couple years you can blow the other $2,000 you would of spent right now, on an entirely new rig for games during that time period. Because even tho 2x 6990's in Crossfire may seem other worldly. It will last you a couple years but by then the 7000 series lineup would of already launched with new innovations and technology (which is marked for Q4-2011).

4) That PSU might get by running all of that but keep in mind two of them video cards is already eating 750w alone.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
$1600 just for graphics cards is perfectly normal for "gaming". No, there is absolutely no game that you can't max out with a single 6990, even across 3 monitors in Eyefinity, so there is no reason other than bragging rights for getting 2.

FYI, that PSU won't run all of that.

His PSU will be more then fine.

On another note though, if he really wants performance then he should go for two 120gb vertex 3's in raid 0.

You're just blowing away money with this. As you said this is for gaming, the i5 2500k would be the way to go.

Does the H100 even fit in the level 10 case ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
A single 6990 uses up to 450W of power, that's 900W just to power the graphics cards. A 1200W PSU will not be enough to power 2 of them + that ridiculous motherboard + all the other poop he wants to throw in there.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
A single 6990 uses up to 450W of power, that's 900W just to power the graphics cards. A 1200W PSU will not be enough to power 2 of them + that ridiculous motherboard + all the other poop he wants to throw in there.

A quality 1200w psu will be fine. According to your maths that leaves 300w left for the cpu, mobo, ram, ssd and other crap. That's more then enough.

And honestly, gaming hardly EVER puts a system under full load. So he'll never even hit that 900w peak you speak of. And even if he does in some magical way, he would still be fine. Just checked some reviews on the web and they all report that the power consumption for an entire system with two of those beasts included lies around 1kw.

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
i dont understand why wouldnt a 1200w psu power it? its also multi rail for added protection i mean if it really isnt i could get that instead and these arent just "expensive" parts i looked up reviews and all that these are all very good parts and why would i raid ssd's o_O they're already fast. and whats wrong with the mobo its a good overclocking board i mean i could get a ud7 instead but i like asus maximus more

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i dont understand why wouldnt a 1200w psu power it? its also multi rail for added protection i mean if it really isnt i could get that instead and these arent just "expensive" parts i looked up reviews and all that these are all very good parts and why would i raid ssd's o_O they're already fast. and whats wrong with the mobo its a good overclocking board i mean i could get a ud7 instead but i like asus maximus more

The psu is fine.

As for raiding ssd's. Two vertex 3's 120gb should be about the same price as one 240gb vertex 3, but in raid 0 they'll give you literally double the speeds. You'd be looking at ~1000mb/s seq reads in raid 0 where with a single 240 you'd be looking at ~500mb/s. Writes are going to double too.

It's totally up to you though but if I was building a system like that I'd certainly go for the 2x 120gb raid 0 option for some sick speeds.

d.^.^.b
Loyal Member
Reaction score
like people above said just looks your goign for pricey and cool looking things u can get a good case for cheap mine looks nice just soild black some mesh and fans and it is like 70 its teh HAF 912

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
You're spending $289 on a case? Seriously, why? It's ugly as hell anyway!

Apart from that, nice specs, looks great :) should turn out as a very powerful computer.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The psu is fine.

As for raiding ssd's. Two vertex 3's 120gb should be about the same price as one 240gb vertex 3, but in raid 0 they'll give you literally double the speeds. You'd be looking at ~1000mb/s seq reads in raid 0 where with a single 240 you'd be looking at ~500mb/s. Writes are going to double too.

It's totally up to you though but if I was building a system like that I'd certainly go for the 2x 120gb raid 0 option for some sick speeds.

Sadly, even if he gets himself a SATA Raid PCi Card dedicated, he cant get over 800-850 Read/Write, technology is too far behind to allow more speed then that. So yes, while 2 is just fine, I would rather get a single 240 gb. The more an SSD fills up, the slower it operates, so two 120's mirroring data area going to go a bit slower near the 80% fill mark, then a single 240gb.

As far as the rest of this computer. A top end gaming computer should only cost you tops of 2200-2500, anything more is brand name buying, and useless.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sadly, even if he gets himself a SATA Raid PCi Card dedicated, he cant get over 800-850 Read/Write, technology is too far behind to allow more speed then that. So yes, while 2 is just fine, I would rather get a single 240 gb. The more an SSD fills up, the slower it operates, so two 120's mirroring data area going to go a bit slower near the 80% fill mark, then a single 240gb.

As far as the rest of this computer. A top end gaming computer should only cost you tops of 2200-2500, anything more is brand name buying, and useless.

He wouldn't even need a pci raid card. His onboard 2x Sata6G would suffice. Sata 6G should theoretically go up to 600mb/s. One vertex 3 120 is well within that capacity. Striping (not mirroring as you said :p) means he will be using two Sata 6G ports, which theoretically means 2x600mb/s = 1200mb/s. Ofcourse he will never reach those speeds cause the vertex 3's only do about 500mb/s actual. A friend of mine actually has two 120's in raid 0 on a p8p67 deluxe motherboard and he is pulling 1gb/s reads.

As for the degradation when the drive gets filled, it is true indeed. But you could and should keep an eye on the disk capacity. Just make sure you keep a certain amount of gb's free all the time and you should be safe. Even if you don't care and tend to fill it up, the 120 raid 0 setup will still be shitloads faster then a single 240.

I have been running two 60gb vertex 2's in raid 0 for about half a year now and I'm still getting nearly the same performance as I did when they were freshly installed. The write speeds have gone down a little bit (~10-20mb) but that's nothing really. People keep saying that raiding ssd's is a bad thing because you'll lose the trim feature, but if you're not a total coon and know how to handle those babies you'll be more then fine.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
I saw a pc with Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM 2tb HDD for 1700$.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

4x4GB ram sticks for 100$

1333mhz probably won't cut it for him. I suggest either 1600 or 1866, anything else won't be worth the dosh since tests have shown that anything above 1866 won't really be a benefit with sandy bridge.

Back