Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Buying a new laptop

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been looking to upgrade my laptop recently and I've come across an MSI model I quite like ( ). My current laptop is a Sony Vaio SVE1711F1EW, which I've had since December 2012. My questions are:

1) Does anyone have this laptop (or a laptop manufactured by MSI)? If so, would you recommend buying one?

2) Does anyone know of a similarly priced laptop that would outperform the GS60?

I like to move around the house a lot so buying a desktop is almost out of the question. However, if, for some reason I can't get my hands on the GS60 for under £800, I'll probably consider putting a desktop together.

(I am aware I made a similar thread last year)

Last edited by a moderator:
ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have MSI GS70 Stealth from November 2013, but I am really not satisfied with it. I paid for it 1500 euro, but it doesn't worth. MSI support sucks, when I sent them notebook for claim (wifi didn't work, hardware virtualization didn't work after BIOS update and in BIOS wasn't setting to enable it, battery was dying really fast - before 2,5 hours but after 12 months it was a problem to work on notebook 30 minutes without charger), they returned it back with words "everything is working, buy a new battery", but it didn't. And also when I received notebook back, it was in worse condition when I was sending it to them. Now is battery totally useless, it is dying when it is showing me that I still have 35% on it... On the other side, performance is good, I like SSD + HDD combination, GPU and CPU is really good too, but reliability and support is so bad, I can't recommend MSI at all. The only one brand what still has my trust is DELL (before I had 3 DELL notebooks and I couldn't say a bad word on them). The only reason why I bough this MSI was SSD + HDD combination and low weight (17,3" but only 2,60 kg). In near future I am planning to buy DELL Inspiron 7000 or XPS.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have MSI GS70 Stealth from November 2013, but I am really not satisfied with it. I paid for it 1500 euro, but it doesn't worth. MSI support sucks, when I sent them notebook for claim (wifi didn't work, hardware virtualization didn't work after BIOS update and in BIOS wasn't setting to enable it, battery was dying really fast - before 2,5 hours but after 12 months it was a problem to work on notebook 30 minutes without charger), they returned it back with words "everything is working, buy a new battery", but it didn't. And also when I received notebook back, it was in worse condition when I was sending it to them. Now is battery totally useless, it is dying when it is showing me that I still have 35% on it... On the other side, performance is good, I like SSD + HDD combination, GPU and CPU is really good too, but reliability and support is so bad, I can't recommend MSI at all. The only one brand what still has my trust is DELL (before I had 3 DELL notebooks and I couldn't say a bad word on them). The only reason why I bough this MSI was SSD + HDD combination and low weight (17,3" but only 2,60 kg). In near future I am planning to buy DELL Inspiron 7000 or XPS.
Thanks for the feedback. What WiFi card does your GS70 have? The WiFi issue seems to be quite common among GS60's/GS70's

ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. What WiFi card does your GS70 have? The WiFi issue seems to be quite common among GS60's/GS70's

Wifi is from Killer Networking. But now I am not sure, what version, I am not on my laptop currently, but as I remember, it is something like 1202-N.

Reaction score
I can't say anything bad about MSI, when I had my PC stolen 2 years ago I replaced it with an MSI GE60 & I'm still using it as my main machine now.

I have never had to touch the warranty, in fact I've had no issues whatsoever so last month I decided to void my warranty & open the back panel just so I could clean it myself and remove all the dust. It runs a little cooler now which is great & I don't anticipate any hardware failure for at least the next 2 years. It still has a spare STA port & RAM slot too for some upgrades if I need em down the track.

Honestly I don't have anything negative to say about them, but having said that I've never had to use their support because I haven't had any issues.

BTW mine has Killer Ethernet but Intel WiFi, never had any issues with either of em.

ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
How bad are the WiFi issues? Do they render the laptop unusable (without an ethernet cable)?

Problem was really weird, sometimes when i turned on laptop, Wifi didn't start. I had to open Device Manager, right-click on wifi adapter and uninstall it. After that I had to right-click on white background and click on Scan for hardware changes. When I did this, wifi has start, but since I uninstalled it, I lost all saved networks and all passwords and settings. It was really annoying... Now it's not doing this, but there is a different problem - when Windows loads (it is ~8 seconds) and I will instantly open browser, I can't load any websites, because wifi is not loaded, I must wait sometimes 1 minute until wifi adapter will load.

Btw, this wasn't my first MSI laptop, 5 years ago I had one 17" G Series laptop from MSI and after 4 months charger has f*cked up. So I sent it for a claim, so I was 30 days without PC. When they fixed issue and sent it back, there was a huge scratch all across display so I had to send it again for a claim - 60 days without PC. After that they told me, that they can't fix it, because these type of displays are no longer being made so they refund my money and I bought DELL Studio 1737 and 2 years later DELL Vostro 3750. This was my best decision :)

Back