Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Choose a PC

Preparing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
My friend is looking to buy a new pc. And he needs help which one to go for.
He is thinking of buying either the x51 or the Aurora

He is mostly into 3d modelling and rendering and stuffs like that. He is not an avid gamer.
Is it better to create a custom rig.
Then please share which one will be best for work purposes and a bit of gaming.

Awaiting your reply guy :wink:
Thanks~

Modeler / C++ Coder
Developer
Reaction score
My friend is looking to buy a new pc. And he needs help which one to go for.
He is thinking of buying either the x51 or the Aurora

He is mostly into 3d modelling and rendering and stuffs like that. He is not an avid gamer.
Is it better to create a custom rig.
Then please share which one will be best for work purposes and a bit of gaming.

Awaiting your reply guy :wink:
Thanks~

do me a favor and let some other company put one together for you then alienware atm lol.. way to overpriced for what they deliver...

Preparing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this.

Is that build good? Also is AMD better than intel?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Is that build good? Also is AMD better than intel?

Oh God...did you just ask that? Change your thread tag to "Debate" lol

Each processor has strengths and weaknesses...each one is usally covered by the other brand...IE: i7 smokes the FX series in single core performance but FX series smokes i7 in overclocking...it really depends on what you are doing with the computer...

As for your friends uses not being gaming...I would recommend i5 or i7...it is much stronger at stuff such as rendering.

As for Dellware (Alienware)....if you want to simply throw your money away I'll be happy to build you a rig for $2000 that cost me $600 to build....Custom built is ALWAYS cheaper and better.....

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
@Monolith
I was going to say the same thing about custom building vs Dellware. I would custom build because you can get way better specs for the price Dellware charges for their crappy computers. Never buy a prebuilt desktop. Build it yourself.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this.

As for this build..I truly cannot find any fault in it if it's a price he can afford....

Preparing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Oh God...did you just ask that? Change your thread tag to "Debate" lol

Each processor has strengths and weaknesses...each one is usally covered by the other brand...IE: i7 smokes the FX series in single core performance but FX series smokes i7 in overclocking...it really depends on what you are doing with the computer...

As for your friends uses not being gaming...I would recommend i5 or i7...it is much stronger at stuff such as rendering.

As for Dellware (Alienware)....if you want to simply throw your money away I'll be happy to build you a rig for $2000 that cost me $600 to build....Custom built is ALWAYS cheaper and better.....

Hhehe, I see.
Could you share your parts for the $600 build. Would really appreciate it :wink:

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well if I was building it to sell...I would get it at my usual place...Fry's...so here is a build.

Case:
Mobo:
CPU:
RAM: (X2)
GPU:
SSD:
HD:
DVDRW:
PSU:

Total: Around.....damn...$707...went over $699.....I could easily adjust and get below $700....

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well if I was building it to sell...I would get it at my usual place...Fry's...so here is a build.

Case:
Mobo:
CPU:
RAM: (X2)
GPU:
SSD:
HD:
DVDRW:
PSU:

Total: Around.....damn...$707...went over $699.....I could easily adjust and get below $700....

Just a question..

I know Alienware is overpriced.. has been for a while..

What about iBuyPower?

I'm not sure if I'd want to put my rig together myself, and I saw iBuyPower a few months ago and was thinking of designing my own rig on there. I like to game, nothing crazy, LoL, WoW (haven't been able to play because I get poop FPS with my hp pavilion pos lmao).., etc..
I want to get my own rig that way I can pass my poop comp down to my sis who has a compaq comp from 2007 that she gets 20fps with on league.. At least with mine she'd get about 70fps and she doesn't play any graphic intensive games besides league if you even count that..

Anyway..
Do you think it'd be cost effective to make my own rig still or get it from iBuyPower (if you're familiar with them)?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I checked out this iBuyPower....their economy gaming computer is not greatly overpriced at $799 with a FX processor and an R7 250X....for those scared to build their own...this is much better than Dellware....but for your games it's a bit over kill.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I checked out this iBuyPower....their economy gaming computer is not greatly overpriced at $799 with a FX processor and an R7 250X....for those scared to build their own...this is much better than Dellware....but for your games it's a bit over kill.

True.
However, I'm tired of buying a computer and a year or two later having it be slow as poop because things change that often. For example, back in 2012, League of Legends had about 60-65 FPS on my sister's Compaq pos, now it only gets 15-20, and when she's playing a champion with alot of particles (e.g. Miss Fortune with her strut or Morgana with a skin), she gets only 10-15 FPS, and that isn't even in teamfights. Things change too quick, I can't keep wasting my money on computers I buy from Staples that aren't worth it when I can get a nice computer like one of those custom rigs you posted up there.

I'm going to look into building my own rig. I'll post here if I have any questions.

Thanks

edit: i built this rig but it's kind of expensive.

CPU:
SSD:
Mobo:
GPU:
RAM:
Case:
CD-ROM:
PSU:

Total comes to $853.42 without $10 shipping.
That Fry's website is really cheap, but sadly most of the products you listed aren't available for shipping.
I'm going to try finding similar/same products on Ebay and see if they're also cheaper.

Last edited:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yes...Fry's is cheap and mostly in store...there is one 5 minutes from my house and I spend alot of time there...if not buying simply browsing :)

As for your build there...it's a strong build, and should last you a good 5 years...even then simply upgrading the GPU will give you a few more. The mobo is a great buy...you will be able to upgrade your RAM later down the road to higher speed when it's required later...

As for the price....thats the CPU thats boosting it up....but if you can afford it go for it...it will last longer.

As for the RAM..I would go for this one instead...faster and higher clocks not to mention $5 cheaper.

You also haven't included a HD....that SSD is only 128 gb....is that going to be enough for you?

That power supply you have chosen only has 1 fan plug...the case has a few. So either order some of or choose another PSU..or don't use all your fans lol

And last but not least...being that case mounts the PSU on the bottom...you might need one of to reach the 4pin ATX power cable plug on the mobo...had that issue with my new case.

Last edited:
Reaction score
People bashing Alienware - guess who? Yeh it's me cockfags, shut your pie-holes.

Do NOT compare Alienware to a custom PC.

Can you get a technician with any replacement parts sitting in your living room the next business day fixing any issue you're having with your PC for free? No? Then your custom PC is NOT comparable to an Alienware. That's where the $500 extra mysteriously comes from. People who buy Alienware know they are paying extra for this service. It isn't just a PC, it is a guarantee that your PC will run flawlessly and any issue you encounter will be fixed in-home as long as you have warranty cover. You can even add warranty plans after yours has expired. Have a discontinued model under warranty that needs major repairs? They will replace it with the newer model. If it doesn't sound like something you need or something you would be willing to pay extra for, then guess what? Alienware isn't marketed at you. So go build a custom PC.

Toyota Corolla owners don't bash Ferrari's for being "overpriced", they are marketed at 2 completely different demographics.

Ahem. Now please, continue...

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Can you get a technician with any replacement parts sitting in your living room the next business day fixing any issue you're having with your PC for free?

That's where the $500 extra mysteriously comes from.

Ok bro...usually I'm on the same page as you...but this doesn't make sense...if it's a free service why does it cost $500 more. And they only give you a years worth of free technical service...anything after that costs, and most PC's don't start having trouble, outside of manufacturing defects, till 2-3 years....

Custom built means: Something goes wrong..

Scenario 1: Take it back to my computer store I bought it at get a new one for free...Same day.
Scenario 2: It's past the return date, buy another one and still costs less than the extra $500 bucks I paid for Dellware.

Like my PSU problem in my other thread...it was human error that caused the problem. I spent $90 and got a better one....all within 3 hours and I was back up and running. Compared to the 24+ hours, $500, and some strange person in your house going through your computer....I'll take the first one...

Not to mention the PRICELESS knowledge of doing your own computer work. Buy a man a fish and he eats for a day scenario there.

As for the Corolla and Ferrari analogy, People buy cars for a reason....Corolla: Family, Budget, actual common sense. Ferrari: Showing off how much money they have.........uh...thats pretty much all I got due to the fact that most Ferrari owners will never get on a track...so they sit in traffic next to a Corolla wasting money on gas and insurance....but damn they do get attention.

What if I told you I could sell you a corolla that had the exact , if not better, performance of the Ferrari and had a body kit on it that would get you just as much attention...all for quater of the price of the Ferrari? That's custom built.....

Dellware doesn't do a single thing better than a custom built PC....in some instances, for the price, custom does it better.

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Can you get a technician with any replacement parts sitting in your living room the next business day fixing any issue you're having with your PC for free? No?
So my budget plus the $500 for the technician :burnout:
a [high end graphics card/high end CPU/27 inch monitor/32 GB ram(not necessary but really,if you can why the heck not? :p)/insert any computer component >$501] or a technician for $500

Modeler / C++ Coder
Developer
Reaction score
Dellware doesn't do a single thing better than a custom built PC....in some instances, for the price, custom does it better.

uhh for the price it will always be better to get a custom one (I've let a company build it for me because I wanted them to do the cabling professionally which I cant do better).. you pay mainly for the custom service and man hours to build it...
sure they put the pc together for you and sure they will install it.. make sure it runs nice..

I myself got a custom pc not all to long ago.. its rather overkill and alienware was not even selling those parts yet I wanted...
and guess what... its about 1/3ds cheaper and allot better what I would've had if I bought an alienware?... lol ok hf with alienware at this point.. they used to be so great but the prices are just not worth it anymore with the competition they have..

don't get me wrong :) business is business.. I like the style alienware has and the custom service.. but I rather maintain my pc myself anyway....

Last edited:
Back