Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Chromecast!

Reaction score
I bought it on the official UK release date and today now they've rolled out screen mirroring on the device and it's fantastic! Whilst the image is compressed it's highly responsive and a fun way to display what's on your screen without an additional cable or supported smart TV!

Any Chromecast fans in the house?

M

Reaction score
I wanted to get one at initial launch but Amazon wouldn't (and still won't) ship it here. Local stores have it for $50 but I've been weighing up if it's worth it.

Can anyone give us a quick review? What kind of requirements do you need to stream from your screen? (ie. any specific wireless standard you need?) You say the image is compressed - how does this affect picture quality?

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Would also like some sort of review too please. Namely what features it comes with, what can be added, and is it more than just a Netflix streaming device

Modeler / C++ Coder
Developer
Reaction score
Would also like some sort of review too please. Namely what features it comes with, what can be added, and is it more than just a Netflix streaming device

actually just found quite an interesting review about this in a Dutch newspaper.. I could maybe translate it later lol :)

Reaction score
I bought one as soon as it became available in the UK. Was always interested in picking one up since launch but waited for it to be out here officially.

Essentially what it is, is a way to "smarten" your TV, I don't own any TV with dashboard stuff so that was my main reason. You need 1 HDMI port and a usb slot or a spare AC socket to use the usb AC adapter. Connect the dongle to the wireless network and access it via any smart device + PC/Laptop.

The chromecast app will list the majority of apps on the google play store that are updated to use chromcast and endorsed by google, anything there will pick up the chromecast on your network and allow you to stream anything on that app to the TV it's on.

The chromecast itself stream the data so it's not pulling anything from your phone. For example, if you want to watch a youtube video from your phone, go the the youtube app, tick the button to stream to TV and pick a video. The chromecast will stream the video itself so you can do other stuff on the phone and it will have the controls listed in the notifications bar. I use it a lot to stream youtube and BBC iplayer mainly.

The video quality is automatically changed by how much bandwidth it can use. I've noticed on the crunchyroll app though that it will use a static video quality that I don't have the speed to handle and you can't change it manually yet. So it comes down to how good the app is.

The best feature in my opinion is being able to stream any webpage from google chrome. It should automatically find the cast and allow you to stream any page. If you're watching a twitch stream for example, full screen the stream and it will do the same on your TV. It's really nice. I've also used the browser to stream mp4 and other poop for anime but you'll need something like for MKV.

As long as you have a good quality router and enough bandwidth, you shouldn't notice much compression. I don't have a good internet connection so I can't really confirm that though.

Back