Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

New Computer Build

Reaction score
Thats a crock. if you have some great drives, you will see all around performance and its not a pain to set up wtf are you kidding me? slipstream drivers wee, thats such a pain -_-, I use RAID and it was a smart decision, its not just faster load times in windows, it will give everything a performance boost.

Yes... Loading drivers onto a floopy and praying they work when boot the floopy when you are setting up windows.

I've set up tons of RAID configurations and they have all been a pain. Both SATA and IDE setups.

o_O ASUS is one of the best board manufacturers out there. wtf. sounds like when people say maxtor drives suck, they dont you must've had some bad ASUS experiences or something.

I argue on the best. Their customer support is crap. And the ammount of DOA boards I've seen from them gives me little trust. Not to metion they are very over priced.

Do they perform well? Sure they do when they work. But for less money you can get yourself a DFI board which is vastly superior. So then whats the point of getting ASUS?

And for Maxtor. I have used tons of Maxtor drives. They used to be the onlything I would buy. All of my IDE drives are Maxtor but after reading about how bad their SATA drives are and actually seeing it for myself leads me to think that their SATA drives are crap.

And nearly all of what I say and recommond is out of experience.

NoPeace - out

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thats why you dont use a floppy...you slipstream the drivers onto an XP cd with nlite and no problems >_>

I own a DFI and Ive had an asus, never had a problem with either :p

Reaction score
Thats why you dont use a floppy...you slipstream the drivers onto an XP cd with nlite and no problems >_>

I own a DFI and Ive had an asus, never had a problem with either :p

Yes but when you are using freash OEM copies of Windows you don't have that luxery. You'll have to do it via the floopy route.

NoPeace - out

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Actually.. the good part with running an onboard SATA plug, using PhoenixBIOS for Sata (Silicon control) it runs -very- easily on my own motherboard.. A8N-SLI Deluxe... THe software comes on a CD to load it up.. and its as easy as setting up windows.

TO be honest though, Its easier to just stick with a single 150GB WD Raptor if you want fast boot up times/performance gains.. and go find yourself dual 250/320's .. or just wait anotehr quarter when (Maxtor>) Releases the new 1 TB drives that will be cheaper then Seagates 750gig drives.. which will force price drops, and then you can afford two 500 GB with ease.. planning ahead is essential in the computer building industry :)

Oh, and if you want a stable system, definatly don't do Raid-0, as above.. jsut stick with a single 10000 RPM drive and youll be good. I havent had any problems on my own setup yet, but I've seen people get fubared and have problems up the yin-yang with their own systems.

Reaction score
10k RPM drivers good. Better then most RAID setups but it's expensive and lacks storage. =P

Though it's hassle free and you can always get cheap drivers as backups.

NoPeace - out

Loyal Member
Reaction score
god yes they are expensive! It's about 250 bucks for a 150gig WD Raptor, as opposed to a 500gig drive for about 160-170 on average with 16mb buffer, 7200rpm

Reaction score
god yes they are expensive! It's about 250 bucks for a 150gig WD Raptor, as opposed to a 500gig drive for about 160-170 on average with 16mb buffer, 7200rpm

$250! Where! Last time I check they were well over $300. >.<

If they are that cheap for the 150gigs I would so get one. =P

And yeah 500gigs are cheap now. Though I think the best bangs are the 250 w/ 16mb of chache at about $85. Get a few of thoes and setup a RAID 5 array and it'll be blazing fast. If you want to go with the hassle that is. O.O

ive got 2x36gb raptors in raid 0 :winky:

Lol.... Install Vista and 30% of your storage is gone. =P

Then install FSX and another 20% will be gone. :icon6:

NoPeace - out

Loyal Member
Reaction score

$255.50 with an included cable bundle ;)

For the Americas anyway.. Im tempted to ditch my dual's in RAID-0 and throw them into an old computer.. then get one of these and just keep it nice, simple, and error free ;)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
do you know of any raptor reviews comparing the 150gb raptor to two 36 and 74s in raid 0? im curious to see if the 150 is better.

Reaction score

$255.50 with an included cable bundle ;)

For the Americas anyway.. Im tempted to ditch my dual's in RAID-0 and throw them into an old computer.. then get one of these and just keep it nice, simple, and error free ;)

Now I'm tempted too... Was happing to bug my father for a new computer and then sell my 975x board and e6700 and getting a nice monitor. But now... It's like which one to choose. O.O

NoPeace - out

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I got all my Puter stuff from Newegg,

MB Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 f9 bios
E6400 @ 470FSB ~3760MHz (Water 1.52v)
Memory F2-8000PHU1-1GBHZ (2GB PC 10000) @ 4-4-4-5
2x Samsung 320's
X1900XT @672/1603
Antec Trio 650 PSU
Gigabyte 570 Chasiss
Swifty WB/Rad/Pump

From what I gather, I am getting alot out of my e6400 most bonk out at 3600 ~1.55v I just got lucky I guess. I would save the money on the CPU get the e6400 and spend the green on a better mainboard.

GL!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thats a crock. if you have some great drives, you will see all around performance and its not a pain to set up wtf are you kidding me? slipstream drivers wee, thats such a pain -_-, I use RAID and it was a smart decision, its not just faster load times in windows, it will give everything a performance boost.

o_O ASUS is one of the best board manufacturers out there. wtf. sounds like when people say maxtor drives suck, they dont you must've had some bad ASUS experiences or something.

I have had 5 Asus boards die on me in the last 6 months, I have had 0 Gigabyte, ECS, Intel, and MSI boards die on me in the last 18 months. But then again I don't build anymore AMD setups. Every Asus Board I had with an nForce 4 chipset on it died in less then 6 months, EVERY ONE... The Customer service was SO BAD we just sh!t canned the lot of them because @ $75/hr it's not worth my time to sit on the phone trying to explain beepcode or black screen of nothing to ASUS "techs", in hopes of getting a DOA or refurb board.

wiii

Reaction score
I have had 5 Asus boards die on me in the last 6 months, I have had 0 Gigabyte, ECS, Intel, and MSI boards die on me in the last 18 months. But then again I don't build anymore AMD setups. Every Asus Board I had with an nForce 4 chipset on it died in less then 6 months, EVERY ONE... The Customer service was SO BAD we just sh!t canned the lot of them because @ $75/hr it's not worth my time to sit on the phone trying to explain beepcode or black screen of nothing to ASUS "techs", in hopes of getting a DOA or refurb board.

wiii

Lol... I'm not the only one with bad experiences of Asus stuff.

Also use the edit button instead of making 2 posts in a row.

Nopeace - out

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
oh i know ASUS has poop for tech support, but im surprised everyone here has had bad problems with them, tbh ive only used two asus boards, but they werent horrible the A8N board is great i think. maybe its just the intel line boards?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
never had any problems with asus
and i have had countless of asus motherboards (since i upgrade every few months)

uzing a p5w dh deluxe now and it Ducking owns
and i dissagree with nopeace when he said dfi is vastly supperior to asus
then y r all the best c2d overclocking results on the asus p5b series

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
DFI has poop for tech support too...remember, theres no more DFI street lololol.

Reaction score
oh i know ASUS has poop for tech support, but im surprised everyone here has had bad problems with them, tbh ive only used two asus boards, but they werent horrible the A8N board is great i think. maybe its just the intel line boards?

The Intel ones tend to be better then the AMD ones. Their first few AMD boards for the A64 where utter poop. Never got a single one to work.

never had any problems with asus
and i have had countless of asus motherboards (since i upgrade every few months)

uzing a p5w dh deluxe now and it Ducking owns
and i dissagree with nopeace when he said dfi is vastly supperior to asus
then y r all the best c2d overclocking results on the asus p5b series

Because that's a high end board based off of the 965p chipset. Once DFI releases a high end board off of the same chipset you'll see it own it by a long way.

And all 965p boards give good overclocking. Just like all 680i boards too (though not as high) but the 680i has SLI support and is an all around more powerful chipset.

DFI has poop for tech support too...remember, theres no more DFI street lololol.

It's not all that bad. They will reply back to you in a timely manner.

NoPeace - out

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ive heard most of the time the people at DFI (when they answer) are foreign and dont really answer the problem which is why DFI street existed in the first place, then those two dudes got fired if im correct for some weird reason, that one BIOS guide at DFI was pwnage though.

Back