Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

New Computer Build

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ok so I am planning on building a new computer as I have recently sold my old one on ebay (2.2Ghz Athlon, 1G PC3200, 200 GB HDD). I am looking to considerably upgrade, but of course, I am looking for the most power/money. So I would ask that you guys look at what I will post and tell me if you have any suggestions for different products, or know of better deals.

500 GB SATA HDD 149.99

2 GB DDR2 800 MHz Ram 169.99

MoBo + C2D E6600 468.99

Mid-Tower + 550W PS 99.99

Dual-Layer, LightScribe DVD RW 49.99

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
i think there are places cheaper then tigerdirect if im not wrong. try searching around and comparing prices better to go cheaper or better for the same price.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
one of your links in the same for the case and motherboard, would also make sure the case is big enough for the graphics card cos the 8800's are abit big

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
newegg+zip zoom fly.com = pwnage

the great thing about ZZF is there is free shipping on practically everything, sometimes even free 2 day shipping :D. but the prices will be about 5 dollars higher than newegg, but hey, not bad for free shipping.

switch to newegg and zzf if you can, tigerdirect sucks.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Wow I had no idea that TigerDirect was so bad. I will have to check out the other sites and update the prices.

On the other issue--quality--what do you think? Will this be the beast that I want it to be?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think you should get some G skill HZs ddr2 series.

if you really want a 500gbs i really think you should do 2x250gb HDs in raid 0.

get a decent modular PSU in case you end up not using every single cord. and get a full tower atx case, better air flow.

Reaction score
Newegg and ZipZoomFly are much better companies and are cheaper.

As for your setup. 945 chipset boards are very BAD. Avoid it at all cost.

OCZ is good RAM but take a look at the cost of G.Skill, Crucial, and Cosair and get the best timming to cost ratio.

The powersupply that comes with cases are crap.

Maxtor SATA drivers are crap. Segate 7200.10 series is the best cost to performance drives out there.

NoPeace - out

Don't Mind if I do...
Reaction score
NoPeace sure knows how to clean it up, Neweggs the place to go and Nopeace is diffinately right about the hd segate will sell for cheaper, more memory, and better quality. I know because about two months ago i blew two maxtor hd. I will never by from them again.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So far I have:

Shop at zipzoomfly or newegg.
Get a different MoBo.
Get two 250GB/320GB Seagate Harddrives.

So I have a couple of questions:

What would be the optimal MoBo? I want socket 775, 4 Ram Dimms, two PCI-Express (for SLI at later date), Wireless card slot would be great (I know some include them), Good onboard sound would be great. Would you guys suggest what you think would be best for these requests?

Also, I have never set up harddrives in Raid mode- What will I need to do/buy?

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
NoPeace sure knows how to clean it up, Neweggs the place to go and Nopeace is diffinately right about the hd segate will sell for cheaper, more memory, and better quality. I know because about two months ago i blew two maxtor hd. I will never by from them again.

Technically you will buy from Maxtor. As Maxtor is now a sub division of Seagate. =P

But never the less the Maxtor design itself isn't too good with SATA. The old IDE drives were great but the new SATA's are crap.

Also Newegg is on par with ZipZoomFly. Both do low prices though ZZF gives free shipping on nearly everything and also charges $2 for 2-day shipping on nearly all orders (reguardless of size). So just compare prices and shipping costs and get from teh cheapest. Both are great companies that I've delt with alot.

NoPeace - out

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
if you want a good 775 board, go with an ASUS or gigabyte DSP.

Reaction score
So far I have:

Shop at zipzoomfly or newegg.
Get a different MoBo.
Get two 250GB/320GB Seagate Harddrives.

So I have a couple of questions:

What would be the optimal MoBo? I want socket 775, 4 Ram Dimms, two PCI-Express (for SLI at later date), Wireless card slot would be great (I know some include them), Good onboard sound would be great. Would you guys suggest what you think would be best for these requests?

Also, I have never set up harddrives in Raid mode- What will I need to do/buy?

Thanks guys.

680i chipset boards.

They cost about $250 and they support SLI (Dual and Tri), have great intergraded audio (all nForce boards do), and an avaliable PCI-Ex 1x slot and a PCI slot for wireless cards, and is the best performing board for the C2D's.

is the board I would recommend getting. Though there are 2 cheaper versions of it that are not as good with overclocking. So you can take a look at them if you don't wish to venture down the OC road.

And for RAID. Forget about it. It's a pain in the arse to setup for not much of a performance boost. You'll get some better load times in Windows and that's just about it.

2 GB DDR2 800 MHz Ram 169.99

Hmm. What does the "800MHz" do for ram? lol

That's the speed at which they opperate and send data between the system. High it is the faster it typically is. There's others factors to consider like timmings but that's the major jist of it.

if you want a good 775 board, go with an ASUS or gigabyte DSP.

Forget ASUS with SLI. Their SLI boards are to overpriced. Nearly doubled the price of the standard ones by nVidia OEMs. ANd I would trust EVGA and BFG any day before I would trust ASUS.

NoPeace - out

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
And for RAID. Forget about it. It's a pain in the arse to setup for not much of a performance boost. You'll get some better load times in Windows and that's just about it.

Thats a crock. if you have some great drives, you will see all around performance and its not a pain to set up wtf are you kidding me? slipstream drivers wee, thats such a pain -_-, I use RAID and it was a smart decision, its not just faster load times in windows, it will give everything a performance boost.

o_O ASUS is one of the best board manufacturers out there. wtf. sounds like when people say maxtor drives suck, they dont you must've had some bad ASUS experiences or something.

Reaction score
Thats a crock. if you have some great drives, you will see all around performance and its not a pain to set up wtf are you kidding me? slipstream drivers wee, thats such a pain -_-, I use RAID and it was a smart decision, its not just faster load times in windows, it will give everything a performance boost.

o_O ASUS is one of the best board manufacturers out there. wtf. sounds like when people say maxtor drives suck, they dont you must've had some bad ASUS experiences or something.

he said they were overpriced, he didn't say they were bad.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
On the topic of raid...if it is HARDWARE controlled raid...it is worth it and will give a fairly large boost to loading everything including games. MMO's get information loaded from the HD onto ram a lot for example. If you use raid and use SOFTWARE control...don't bother. But with raid come a chance of loss of data or breaking one of the drives. That's why raid 5 is the best choice.

Asus is a great company and should always be considered when buying computer parts.

Back