Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Computer issue

Google my name...
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know the title doesn't tell you much but it's sort of a mixture of issues. First off here's a bit of context to my machine. It's a custom build just over a year old now. Parts listed below:
Code:
Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge
Asus P8Z77-V LX, Intel Z77, S 1155
800W Corsair Gaming GS800
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda
LG 10x Blu-ray Reader, 16x DVD±R
LG GH24NS90 24x DVD±R, 12xDVD±DL
Edimax EW-7722In 300Mbps Wireless
4GB XFX Radeon R9 290X Boost Edition
Akasa AK-FC-07BK FC 5.25" Trio fan
200mm Cooler Master MegaFlow, 700rpm
140mm Be Quiet BL031Silent Wings
120mm be quiet! Silent Wings

I originally had the 2GB EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature GPU. I replaced this with the 4GB XFX Radeon R9 290X Boost Edition a few weeks ago.

Yesterday I got home from work and my computer wouldn't turn on, the PSU started but then the whole thing lost power and kept trying to start itself up. I unplugged everything and opened it up, after removing the RAM and putting it back in it powered up fine. I then turned it off and put it back together and plugged everything in.

After it being on for 5 minutes it just lost power again. I had to remove the power cable and put it back in to get the computer to turn on again. After doing this Windows started a recovery process saying some of the login files were either corrupted/missing.

I have a feeling it is a PSU issue, I had to purchase the extra fans + fan controller because my PSU was overheating and my Motherboard was picking it up as a power overload (at least I think that was the issue - it stopped after adding more fans).

I have my computer raised up slightly so the PSU fan isn't too near the floor.

Is this an issue with my new GPU or is it my PSU? Or is it something I haven't thought about?

Sorry it's such a long post, just thought I'd give you a full backstory on the machine and it's history to help!

Thanks,
Komakech.

P.s. I was playing Chivalry on Sunday and it kept crashing with UDK.exe not responding, I thought it was just a problem with the game rather than my GPU - it always happened immediately after a game finished and the loading screen started or it'd happen when lots of people attacked at the same time (which is a graphics heavy moment)

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
A computer shutting itself down and requiring an unplug to restart is one of 2 things....short or overheat.

Short is either inside the PSU itself or one of it's many connectors that are laying around inside the machine.

Cheap diagnosis: Bundle up all your extra PSU connectors and make sure none of them are shorting out on metal inside the case...I used a small ziplock baggy on the end to diagnosis this once.

Could be expensive diagnosis: Swap out your PSU with a new one from store....if it doesn't fix problem...return PSU.

While at the store picking up the "loaner" PSU...buy some thermal paste because an overheating processor can shut it down till it cools off too.

Google my name...
Reaction score
A computer shutting itself down and requiring an unplug to restart is one of 2 things....short or overheat.

Short is either inside the PSU itself or one of it's many connectors that are laying around inside the machine.

Cheap diagnosis: Bundle up all your extra PSU connectors and make sure none of them are shorting out on metal inside the case...I used a small ziplock baggy on the end to diagnosis this once.

Could be expensive diagnosis: Swap out your PSU with a new one from store....if it doesn't fix problem...return PSU.

While at the store picking up the "loaner" PSU...buy some thermal paste because an overheating processor can shut it down till it cools off too.

Hey Monolith,

Thanks for this, I will check it out tonight no doubt. I haven't had any issues since this happened which is kind of strange, I'm not sure I want to trust it as being okay even though no issues are popping up anymore.

I never thought of checking the spare connectors lying around, I have a collection of ziplock baggys (I always keep them when you get a bag of screws - never know when they'll come in handy)

I can check the PSU from one of the other machines in my house, they won't be as high a power output as required but I will make sure to disconnect my GPU and it shouldn't be an issue.

I know for a fact my processor isn't the issue, I constantly watch the temperature of all the components, nothing seems to be overheating even when playing high-end games.

I'll update with my progress soon :)

Google my name...
Reaction score
It's never the processor, i have literally never seen a faulty/dead CPU, not once in my entire life...

Haha, I sort-of agree with that. It can be the processor if you don't put the thermal paste on properly, my brother once took the processor out of his old motherboard and into a new one but didn't put any new thermal paste on, ran ridiculously hot. I luckily had some lying around and gave it to him. But I definitely don't have an issue with mine I would have spotted the temperature being too high.

I put baggys on all the spare connectors last night, can't say if it's fixed to be honest, the issue hasn't come round since it seemed to be that one time. I'm wondering wether it was just confused at the new GPU as it only happened after the new GPU went in. I know AMD and Nvidia aren't hugely favourable of each other. I also was doing a bit of Feathercoin mining and it caused my PC to crash due to incorrect properties being set, maybe during the crash something went wrong?

I think for now the issue is resolved, if it happens again I'll have to swap out the PSU and see if that's the cause.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Haha, I sort-of agree with that. It can be the processor if you don't put the thermal paste on properly, my brother once took the processor out of his old motherboard and into a new one but didn't put any new thermal paste on, ran ridiculously hot. I luckily had some lying around and gave it to him. But I definitely don't have an issue with mine I would have spotted the temperature being too high.

I put baggys on all the spare connectors last night, can't say if it's fixed to be honest, the issue hasn't come round since it seemed to be that one time. I'm wondering wether it was just confused at the new GPU as it only happened after the new GPU went in. I know AMD and Nvidia aren't hugely favourable of each other. I also was doing a bit of Feathercoin mining and it caused my PC to crash due to incorrect properties being set, maybe during the crash something went wrong?

I think for now the issue is resolved, if it happens again I'll have to swap out the PSU and see if that's the cause.

Thanks for the help!

That's the paste/user error though, it's not the CPU itself.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
did you try to go to a technician i prefer you to go there and let them test your cpu i might guess the problem is either psu or the battery in mother board it has a battery just like watch i prefer you too go for a check much better

Google my name...
Reaction score
did you try to go to a technician i prefer you to go there and let them test your cpu i might guess the problem is either psu or the battery in mother board it has a battery just like watch i prefer you too go for a check much better

It definitely isn't the CPU. Since this thread I sent my PSU back to the company I bought it from and they sent me a new one after testing it and discovering a fault, turns out the fan wasn't working properly and the temperature sensor was faulty. The new one has had no issues and the problems I was having have not happened since.

Reaction score

If you're referring to professional help and referring to a PC case/tower as a "CPU" you probably shouldn't be dishing out advice in the tech section. Especially when you're bumping a 2 month old thread. If he's still having the issue after all this time I'm sure he would already have got professional help.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
if your computer wont boot the problem is HDD if your pc keeps on booting but it shut down always the problem is ram so you need to test it go to some technician

Google my name...
Reaction score
if your computer wont boot the problem is HDD if your pc keeps on booting but it shut down always the problem is ram so you need to test it go to some technician

I'm not sure why people keep replying to this thread... The issue is resolved, it was the PSU.

Google my name...
Reaction score
By the way, you don't need to test your RAM by going to a technician, there is software freely available that can test it for you. No point paying a guy to run the same software and charge you £100 for the privilege.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I think it's a short between the keyboard and the computer chair.

Back