Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Computer keeps restarting

Reaction score
So, ever since I've formatted and installed windows 8.1 It's been doing this.

It never restarts whilst I'm using it, I can be on it for ages 2-3 hours, an then as soon as I walk away like 10-30 minutes after it'll restart and sit at the windows login screen and keep restarting over and over and over.

:S also noticed my phone loses wifi connectivity when it restarts as well

Any idea what it could be?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
A) I read somewhere there was a Microsoft update that was causing this issue...if you recently updated prior to this issue roll back to before updates and see if it is fixed.

B) Crashing...check your minidumps for answers and make sure you have BSOD's turned on....there's an option to turn them off and it simple reboots with no BSOD.

C) Bad PSU possibly.

Reaction score
I would turn off any power saving settings (sleep,turn off display & HDD, ect) & see if that helps. It sounds like PSU possibly can't handle the low power states for whatever reason & is then crashing when trying to go to sleep.

As for your phone losing WiFi when it reboots... Are you sure it's only the WiFi and your entire router isn't rebooting? Another explanation could be a faulty power board or your PSU is damaged to a point that it's shorting-out the power board and making everything connected to it drop power for a second.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If your PC is custom build, power supply sufficient should be checked.
Boot in safe mode and check if it software issue

Reinstall windows and reformat is the best.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Reinstall windows and reformat is the best.

Are you serious? Why would you even offer this assistance? This is not a "safe answer" for any computer problem to make yourself sound like you know what you are talking about. Monitor wont turn on? Format and reinstall!!!!! My keyboard letter D is stuck. Format and reinstall!!!!!

If you cannot offer any tangible opinions...please do not even post.

first you say:

Hm... i guessing some motherboard fault (Software issue)

on another issue...then this...please stay out of Tech Zone since you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you serious? Why would you even offer this assistance? This is not a "safe answer" for any computer problem to make yourself sound like you know what you are talking about. Monitor wont turn on? Format and reinstall!!!!! My keyboard letter D is stuck. Format and reinstall!!!!!

If you cannot offer any tangible opinions...please do not even post.

first you say:

on another issue...then this...please stay out of Tech Zone since you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I'm not sure are you using a gameboy or something.. Cause to what I know.. Auto reboot is because of some installation "software" problem or either motherboard.. Reinstall and reformat hard disk solve most of the problem.
If you're using a gameboy.. Or Sony PlayStation 1.. Then you will think my answer is tangible.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
James - Computer keeps restarting - RaGEZONE Forums

Reaction score
I'm not sure are you using a gameboy or something.. Cause to what I know.. Auto reboot is because of some installation "software" problem or either motherboard.. Reinstall and reformat hard disk solve most of the problem.
If you're using a gameboy.. Or Sony PlayStation 1.. Then you will think my answer is tangible.

Honestly, what the duck are you talking about?

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and you have absolutely no IT knowledge. Why the duck are you even talking about gameboys & playstations?

Sure, formatting might fix it, but so will buying a new PC.

Formatting is not the fix for these issues, it's the last resort when you can't figure out what the problem is & just want to start over from scratch. Anyone who defaults to formatting for every single PC issue has a specific name in the IT industry - a moron.

Honestly, do not give "advice" in this section. People are not asking for best guesses, they actually want answers from people who think before they post.

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, what the duck are you talking about?

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and you have absolutely no IT knowledge. Why the duck are you even talking about gameboys & playstations?

Sure, formatting might fix it, but so will buying a new PC.

Formatting is not the fix for these issues, it's the last resort when you can't figure out what the problem is & just want to start over from scratch. Anyone who defaults to formatting for every single PC issue has a specific name in the IT industry - a moron.

Honestly, do not give "advice" in this section. People are not asking for best guesses, they actually want answers from people who think before they post.
If it's a virus that is causing this issue and you're re-installing Windows without reformatting the hard drive, there is a chance the virus will be on your newely freshed windows 8 install as well. Personally in the year I have been fixing computers, hardware and software related stuff on my internship, I haven't encountered this. But it is better to be safe. However, I wouldn't even think about re-installing windows unless no one manages to solve the issue.

Anyway, replacing the PSU temporarily to see if the problem still occurs wouldn't hurt. It'd be awesome if you have a spare PSU to test with. It could also be a virus. You could scan your computer on virusses with programs like MBAM ( ), ComboFix (I'm not sure if it is windows 8.1 compatible. Don't think so), Norman Malware Cleaner ( ), SpyHunter ( ) and more. It is possible you can gain a virus on a freshly installed copy of windows. Also, if you have a cracked version of Windows 8.1, that could be the issue as well.

Reaction score
Here - based on what I read above, your PC goes nutts after it goes idle. Since it doesn't happen whenever you are using it ... so window 8 and 8.1 have enabled more power saving features. This exposes bugs in drivers and in the firmware of various electronic devices. I suspect the OS is telling your hardware to enter a low power mode and the driver or device itself is bugged. I would test this by using control panel and telling the os to not enter power saving mode. just high performance. if the problem continues then I would look for other problems. if you don't reproduce the problem on high performance setting then you will want to debug the problem as a sleep/wake/low power issue

also if check your event log for a bugcheck entry. there should be one if the log could write to the disk at the time of the bugcheck.

Reaction score
I would turn off any power saving settings (sleep,turn off display & HDD, ect) & see if that helps. It sounds like PSU possibly can't handle the low power states for whatever reason & is then crashing when trying to go to sleep.

As for your phone losing WiFi when it reboots... Are you sure it's only the WiFi and your entire router isn't rebooting? Another explanation could be a faulty power board or your PSU is damaged to a point that it's shorting-out the power board and making everything connected to it drop power for a second.

Here - based on what I read above, your PC goes nutts after it goes idle. Since it doesn't happen whenever you are using it ... so window 8 and 8.1 have enabled more power saving features. This exposes bugs in drivers and in the firmware of various electronic devices. I suspect the OS is telling your hardware to enter a low power mode and the driver or device itself is bugged. I would test this by using control panel and telling the os to not enter power saving mode. just high performance. if the problem continues then I would look for other problems. if you don't reproduce the problem on high performance setting then you will want to debug the problem as a sleep/wake/low power issue

also if check your event log for a bugcheck entry. there should be one if the log could write to the disk at the time of the bugcheck.

HOLY poop! WHAT?! IT MIGHT NOT NEED A FORMAT AFTER ALL?!?!

lol

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score

First reasonable answer here, haha.

Also ...
:S also noticed my phone loses wifi connectivity when it restarts as well
There is a WLAN policy setting within WLAN settings -> menu -> extended -> WLAN policy. Disable it. Energy saving options will not offer this option for you.

Back