Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

CPU Processor Advice

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm just looking for some advice on a better CPU processor than I already have. I'm currently using an AMD Athlon II X2 250 on a motherboard model . Could someone push me in the right direction towards a better CPU Processor at a good price. Also if someone could recommend a good graphics card at a good price that would be great too.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Need an idea on what you can spend. like "between $100 and $200". Or more if you can afford it...processors are based on more expensive USUALLY means better.

Also what is this going to be used for? Gaming? Rendering? Both?

ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I would go for Intel Core i5, since for this price you could not get i7. There are more versions for it, the quad-core for lowest price is in my country for 200€, what is around £140. I have bought i5 3570K 3 years ago and it has still enough power for gaming (BF4, GTA V, Project Cars etc.). In my humple opinion, i5 is the best CPU what you can get from your budget.

ImperiaMuCMS CEO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What I have found about your motherboard it seems, that it supports only AMD CPUs. But, I am not sure, I have never bought AMD stuff.

"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
As much as I'd recommend Intel since AMD's current CPU's basically suck, you would need to purchase an entirely new motherboard and CPU to change over to Intel. This slightly goes over your budget but it's basically the best gaming performance you will be able to get from AMD's side;

Feel free to look on eBay for the same processor however be sure to make sure it says new on it, used ones suck. Avoid AMD's FX-9xxx series since they produce SO much heat from my experience and use more power than what should be needed, even when idling with little to no gain over their FX-8xxx series.

As for your GPU situation, the best graphics card you can get for 1080p is the GTX 970 (personally recommend MSI variants, from personal experience). Even then the GTX 970 is complete overkill depending on the games you play. The GTX 970 at 1080p gaming you will be able to max out most games. Literally everything at 720p as well. You will read stuff about the 3.5GB VRAM thing as well, yes only 3.5GB is usable and if you go over that you will get artifcating / heavy lag leading to a complete GPU driver crash but you will struggle to go over 3.5GB (let alone 3GB) at 1080p unless it's extremely high texture packs (shadow of mordor).

EDIT: Looking at benchmarks a GTX 960 will still get you relatively great performance on medium / high settings. The only issue I have with this card is that it's 2GB VRAM.

Last edited:
Back