Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Cryptocurrency mining

Google my name...
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I do quite a bit of mining with my home PC, mainly when I am on it but don't require the use of my GPU. I do not mine Bitcoins as it's not viable in any shape or form. I have quite a few friends who constantly watch the coin market and inform me of the best coins to mine, currently I am mining WorldCoin as their value is expected to rise.

I also have taken over a lot of the Macs at work, since I work in a company who do a lot of video and artwork we have some pretty powerful graphics cards, our company has a major security flaw by not closing SSH connections and having every persons password the same... Using this I have opened an SSH tunnel to all the machines I can and got them mining for me, I usually leave this running overnight and during lunch breaks when their machines are not being used.

In total I get around 5000kh/s when all my miners are running, what do you mine and what average kh/s do you get?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
5 MH/s mining? either you mean 5 GH/s or you're talking about scrypt mining like with litecoin

using company hardware that way is illegal btw and if you get caught you'll get fired and maybe sued.
5 MH/s on scrypt is decent and worth about 40 bucks a day at the current rate (assuming you mine 24/7)

I got 1 MH/s on litecoin and 30 GH/s on bitcoin

Google my name...
Reaction score
5 MH/s mining? either you mean 5 GH/s or you're talking about scrypt mining like with litecoin

using company hardware that way is illegal btw and if you get caught you'll get fired and maybe sued.
5 MH/s on scrypt is decent and worth about 40 bucks a day at the current rate (assuming you mine 24/7)

I got 1 MH/s on litecoin and 30 GH/s on bitcoin

It is scrypt mining. It probably is illegal but I won't get caught, it is run at times when no one is in the office, they aren't technical further than video editing/graphics editing since that is the main business of the company, I work in the 'digital' team. Since it's through an SSH tunnel even if people were on those machines they wouldn't see any software running.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Won't see the software running but if your network admin has packet sniffing software for monitoring network traffic after spotting unusual activity at times when there isn't meant to be activity you could be caught!

Google my name...
Reaction score
Won't see the software running but if your network admin has packet sniffing software for monitoring network traffic after spotting unusual activity at times when there isn't meant to be activity you could be caught!

This is a guy who couldn't work out why he couldn't get onto the internet only to realise he forgot to turn on his WiFi. I'm sure I'm safe.

It won't fit
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It kind of makes me a little upset hearing about you doing this... Not only are you degrading company assets at a rapid pace, you're doing so for your own personal gain.
Don't let it slip out where you work. I will inform them...

Google my name...
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how much are you making from mining this way?

With the current market, during the past month I have gained just under £8k.

It kind of makes me a little upset hearing about you doing this... Not only are you degrading company assets at a rapid pace, you're doing so for your own personal gain.
Don't let it slip out where you work. I will inform them...

I'm not exactly the only one, there are people who are IT administrators using all school computers overnight and during term breaks.

Reaction score
With the current market, during the past month I have gained just under £8k.

I'm not exactly the only one, there are people who are IT administrators using all school computers overnight and during term breaks.

That's quite good! And are you able to trade that out into real £ while still keeping it to 8k?

Google my name...
Reaction score
That's quite good! And are you able to trade that out into real £ while still keeping it to 8k?

I can but the market is too low to want to, when it picks back up that will practically double almost triple in cost. After that happens I can sell out and get real money for it quite easily.

HAARP
Reaction score
There is a very big flaw to your master plan and it doesn't need John Carmack to figure it out.

The flaw even has a name, it's called the electric bill.

Google my name...
Reaction score
There is a very big flaw to your master plan and it doesn't need John Carmack to figure it out.

The flaw even has a name, it's called the electric bill.

Which is considerably less than I am making.

Reaction score
And considerably more than someone is expecting to pay when the next bill arrives. It's going to be a surprise.

Yeh lol when the power bill is considerably high the first thing they'll do is make sure the PC's are shut down at the end of each day. I don't know about being caught though, that requires monitoring tools which they'll only use if they already suspect someone is using the PC's.

Reaction score
I'm going to say about 75% of info posted here is wrong.... And if you're getting your "info" from news networks then you're for sure wrong. (they are always about 2 months behind what's actually happening, and wrong.)

If you don't research cryptos for at least a few weeks don't even bother. You're just going to lose money.

I currently make about $300/mo with passive mining. If I start to market trade I make anywhere from $500-1000 on top of my mining. If I really wanted to, I could probably turn this into a full time job.

It won't fit
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say about 75% of info posted here is wrong.... And if you're getting your "info" from news networks then you're for sure wrong. (they are always about 2 months behind what's actually happening, and wrong.)

If you don't research cryptos for at least a few weeks don't even bother. You're just going to lose money.

I currently make about $300/mo with passive mining. If I start to market trade I make anywhere from $500-1000 on top of my mining. If I really wanted to, I could probably turn this into a full time job.

Define passive mining.

Reaction score
Define passive mining.

I currently mine scrypt. Mining bit coin as of right now is a total waste of time/money unless you have a farm. Within the next year Asic miners are going to change everything, and probably make scrypt mining obsolete. Until then I have my miners auto switch pools to the most profitable every 15 minutes. Then trade the coins i make there up to bitcoin.

I also made about $7k off of Dogecoin.

It won't fit
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I currently mine scrypt. Mining bit coin as of right now is a total waste of time/money unless you have a farm. Within the next year Asic miners are going to change everything, and probably make scrypt mining obsolete. Until then I have my miners auto switch pools to the most profitable every 15 minutes. Then trade the coins i make there up to bitcoin.

I also made about $7k off of Dogecoin.

Would you be willing to share your setup with the little people?

Back