Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Can data corrupt my HDD?

Reaction score
I had this 1TB WD Green disk with my movies and downloads on it, which broke. No hard feelings, I parted with it after a long struggle of trying to fix it, and bought myself a 2TB Toshiba disk, with the data from my old disk which I could luckily still recover (minus a movie or two which was causing errors, so I thought that they might have been the issue).

After a few weeks of using the new disk, it'll occasionally load up 100% and freeze my PC, filling the Error log with event ID 153 errors.

I've run HD Tune's Error Scan and for about 100GB worth of blocks it was spitting this error, and stopped afterwards.

Can the old data from the disk be corrupting my new disk? I think I'm going to try a format and then re-run HD Tune (which takes 3 hours >.>).

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Have you tested using other os (idk like w7/vista/ubuntu)? and see the result to eliminate os fault? w8 caused some headcache with hdd's for ppl.

I might be wrong but for me os or *** may have problems to read data at x block addr & b00m with error 153 wch is related to disk sub'sys.

Hard to suggest,, but first i would try switching sata controllr / hot swapping/hot plug Bios if you know what i mean.

Reaction score
Will check that out, thanks. I wasn't able to reproduce the HD Tune errors. A second and third scan (another 2x3.5 hours :D) came out clean.

With that said, I haven't experienced any freezes since but I won't cheer yet because they always tend to hide for a while before coming back.

Back