Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Is this desktop build worth it?

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm terrible with computers i've no clue what's good or bad or what anything does really. So I asked the question for someone to design me a desktop for casual gaming and for roughly $750 (AUD).

Here's the list -
Or;

CPU= AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Cooler= Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard= Biostar A960D+ Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory= Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage= Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card= Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tri-X Video Card
Case= Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply= EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

For $717.61 (AUD)

I want to know before I buy, is it worth it? Also can someone recommend a wireless adapter to go with it as I can only use WIFI not an Ethernet cable. I'm going to use it for casual gaming so things like DayZ, ARMA 3, Watch Dogs, GTA etc etc and I want it to be able to run those with ease and at a nice frame rate.

Cheers.

Fell In Love Without You
Loyal Member
Reaction score
From experience with the FX series from AMD, unless you're planning to use the rig for anything but gaming, stay the duck away from it. just get a intel.
For gpu, I haven't owned anything from them since the HD 6000 series, so I can't really give you a opinion.

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
From experience with the FX series from AMD, unless you're planning to use the rig for anything but gaming, stay the duck away from it. just get a intel.
For gpu, I haven't owned anything from them since the HD 6000 series, so I can't really give you a opinion.

Like I said, I've no clue what's good or bad or what flows and doesn't flow =( What Intel do you recommend?

-------- update ---------

- What about this? Intel, costs only $650 so definitely in price range.

Last edited:
Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Well, if you have the money.

But in the 750$ price range,

( I didnt pick out a case for you )

But that PC would be pretty decent. Note: does not have wireless capabilities, only wired.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm terrible with computers i've no clue what's good or bad or what anything does really. So I asked the question for someone to design me a desktop for casual gaming and for roughly $750 (AUD).

Here's the list -
Or;

CPU= AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Cooler= Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard= Biostar A960D+ Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory= Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage= Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card= Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tri-X Video Card
Case= Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply= EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

For $717.61 (AUD)

I want to know before I buy, is it worth it? Also can someone recommend a wireless adapter to go with it as I can only use WIFI not an Ethernet cable. I'm going to use it for casual gaming so things like DayZ, ARMA 3, Watch Dogs, GTA etc etc and I want it to be able to run those with ease and at a nice frame rate.

Cheers.

Buy it, r290x is as good as a gtx 780 ti.
you won't get anything better for that price.

Sirkidd linked poop, do not buy the ones he linked.

GT 740 and 4350 for 700 did he not read your post is and is he a Ducking Special person? LMAO.

BUY don't be a Special person and please don't pick anything sirkidd posts

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Buy it, r290x is as good as a gtx 780 ti.
you won't get anything better for that price.

Sirkidd linked poop, do not buy the ones he linked.

GT 740 and 4350 for 700 did he not read your post is and is he a Ducking Special person? LMAO.

BUY don't be a Special person and please don't pick anything sirkidd posts

The two I linked are actually one's that have been publicly posted on PC part picker that has the 'eco gaming' package lable. Picks the cheapest for what your getting, but still best for your price. Go ahead and 'LMAO' at the some 1200+ expert's who build the public comps though.

Fell In Love Without You
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well glad you asked, at this point, for gaming, don't use FX series, they're glorified server chips with crappy single thread! it Ducking blows!!

For GPU, it's the same story, you pay for what you get and without a doubt nvidia is leading the pack, I used the HD series from AMD, from 5xxx series all the way to the 7xxx and to be honest, I hated it, all of their drivers were always late, and didn't optimize anything, it doesn't help that most developers are now partnering with nvidia more....

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I take it this is not real world performance you are stating, Light?

I have been running an AMD FX-8350 since it came out, and have had zero issues. It performs flawless for its functions and I have never experience any lag or slowdowns across any virtual servers I host on my computer.

Price to Performance, the 8350 is up and beyond almost any Intel CPU currently.

The only comparison woudl be the i7 3770k, which is not even 1% higher on the rating, but costs over $150 more.

For a gaming computer on a budget, a $1000 AMD equipped machine will -always- outperform a $1000 Intel machine.

Fell In Love Without You
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Even with 8 cores, higher clocked speed. the vishera struggles to keep up with a 4 core, sadly enough, it can't even beat a 4 core in some multi threaded task (which what it is intended to do)

You're right, for the price AMD will always be better, but let's face it....if you're gonna be part of the master race, you can't be on a budget!! :tongue:

Don't be a hater
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Using 8350 here as well, only issue I've had is running Neverwinter Online because it doesn't support 8 core CPU's, but it's an easy fix. Other than that it has performed perfect, I don't even know what you could ask more from a CPU, I'm able to play multiple high requirement games at once even and CPU still has a lot of room for more :)

Back