Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Diffrence Between 1Gbps to 10Gbps Port

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello,

I whould Like to ask and discuss about the diffrence between 1Gbps to 10Gbps port.
What does it means?
Does it influence players lags, if I'm running Game Server using this 1Gbps vps?

Ty,
Cani.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
there's nothing much to say... player will lag depending on the server location and player location, and if server bandwidth is exceeded.

think about it like a normal house door.
put one person in a room, close to the door, with a bomb inside...
the person will run through the door just fine, but try putting 50 people on the same room, still close to the door (same door) and see what happens.
there will be a maximum rate that people will pass through the door (which is your port bandwidth)

try the same, but now put them in a really large corridor (with only one exit - the same door), but put them at the end of the corridor
the first experiment will occur the same way, but the person will delay a little bit to pass through the door because of the distance it will need to run to actually pass through it.

you can setup this experiment in many different ways

[]'s

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
there's nothing much to say... player will lag depending on the server location and player location, and if server bandwidth is exceeded.

think about it like a normal house door.
put one person in a room, close to the door, with a bomb inside...
the person will run through the door just fine, but try putting 50 people on the same room, still close to the door (same door) and see what happens.
there will be a maximum rate that people will pass through the door (which is your port bandwidth)

try the same, but now put them in a really large corridor (with only one exit - the same door), but put them at the end of the corridor
the first experiment will occur the same way, but the person will delay a little bit to pass through the door because of the distance it will need to run to actually pass through it.

you can setup this experiment in many different ways

[]'s

Firstable, thank you for answering.
I understood your example, but I must understand it more, to be more specific to me, and to what I need.
Take for example MuOnline server, hosting on VPS.
In one hand:

• Unmetered bandwidth
  • 1Gbps Port
In another hand:

• Unmetered bandwidth
  • 10Gbps Port
Like you see the Bandwitch of the vps is unmetered, that mean's unlimited(correct me if im wrong).
Same player in Canada in same location in both server's will feel any change?
What is the specific effect of the port Gbps, What does it will specific influence, which port is it?
Like you probably know, in mu online serv you using alot of ports(CS,GS, etc).

TY,
Cani.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Firstable, thank you for answering.
I understood your example, but I must understand it more, to be more specific to me, and to what I need.
Take for example MuOnline server, hosting on VPS.
In one hand:

• Unmetered bandwidth
  • 1Gbps Port
In another hand:

• Unmetered bandwidth
  • 10Gbps Port
Like you see the Bandwitch of the vps is unmetered, that mean's unlimited(correct me if im wrong).
Same player in Canada in same location in both server's will feel any change?
What is the specific effect of the port Gbps, What does it will specific influence, which port is it?
Like you probably know, in mu online serv you using alot of ports(CS,GS, etc).

TY,
Cani.

Nope. Unmetered bandwidth is like "there's no limit of persons to pass through the door, because we are not counting everyone that passes through"
1Gbps/10Gbps is your current bandwidth speed.

For example, you can have another server that *has* a metered bandwidth, lets say "10TB bandwidth", which means you'll just be able to serve 10TB of data in that period, and what is metered depends on the server... some are just outgoing data, some can be both incoming and outgoing data. It really depends on the dataserver/plan

In your case, if your players are playing in france, the 1Gbps is your best to choice because of the location (lower latency)
But if you're on US or Canada, you can choose the 10Gbps one

In both options, I don't think bandwidth will be a problem.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
The amount of speed does not influence lag for the players if the bandwidth is fast enough (1 Gbps is fast enough). It depends on the location where you host your server, the further away from the server the more delay.

If most of your player base is Europe based then get the one in France, else get the one in Canada. More isn't always better but if the price difference between the 1 Gbps & 10 Gbps isn't that big I would suggest getting the 10 Gbps but only if your player base is in the US/Canada.

You can even run a proper server on an server with 100 Mbps but than you might be more vulnerable to treads of people who like to eat all your bandwidth with their fancy connections.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
The amount of speed does not influence lag for the players if the bandwidth is fast enough (1 Gbps is fast enough). It depends on the location where you host your server, the further away from the server the more delay.

If most of your player base is Europe based then get the one in France, else get the one in Canada. More isn't always better but if the price difference between the 1 Gbps & 10 Gbps isn't that big I would suggest getting the 10 Gbps but only if your player base is in the US/Canada.

You can even run a proper server on an server with 100 Mbps but than you might be more vulnerable to treads of people who like to eat all your bandwidth with their fancy connections.

Thank You for answering CodeDragon, I understood now.
I want to ask you more 2 questions if I may...

-Do you expreince with GreenCloudVps?
-If my players are from all over the world, I dont have excatly location of them, the best solution is Canada/north america. yes?
I heared that, beacuse canada got the best latency for europe and north america toghter.

ty.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank You for answering CodeDragon, I understood now.
I want to ask you more 2 questions if I may...

-Do you expreince with GreenCloudVps?
-If my players are from all over the world, I dont have excatly location of them, the best solution is Canada/north america. yes?
I heared that, beacuse canada got the best latency for europe and north america toghter.

ty.

If you want to keep latency low to everyone, its really harder to do it by yourself... you'll need to think about distributed servers (and if you want to use the same "database" for every one of them, you'll need to setup some kind of database replication system, which is not so trivial to do so)

For example:

One server in California for North America players
One server in Brazil for South America players
One server in Dublin for EU players
One server in Singapore for Asia/Australia players

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
For real you just overpaying for 10 Gbps, 1Gbps is much for game server

Reaction score
Sometimes those 10Gbps is just a marketing strategy when in real situation hidden in your server it is just running on a 1Gbps up/down link or worst 100Mbps up/down...

Back