Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

How much dose it cost to open a hosting site?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I went to open a hosting site i got 500$ to start out I went to sell windows server lunix webhosting shoutcast and more but i dont know how to start

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest starting out selling all these types of hosting at once.

I would suggest starting off small. First and foremost, get experience with administrating windows, and linux operating systems. Then learn about visualization/hypervisor.

Then after that, start out by "renting" a dedicated server from an already established host provider (since you don't have enough money buy and maintain a server infrastructure).
Then start selling web hosting. Get a cPanel license and start provisioning. Once you have a steady income, try and buy more dedicated servers and offer more powerful web hosting.
Once you get past that level, start provision virtual private servers using visualization software (e.g. openvz, solusvm, xen).

Once you have a really steady income, THEN look into making your own server infrastructure.
I would highly suggest renting / leasing office space (also called a "data center") and have your servers there. My main reason for this is you don't call in contractors to have dedicated network lines to your house, since those office building usually have big network pipelines going to them. Also power, you pitch in with the other people leasing, so it costs less money (unless you're a big timer like Google or something and require their own data center).

I hope I got the main idea across. I know I missed a couple points, but there should be a bunch of articles on Google that shows you how to do this properly.

So to answer your question: there really is no answer. Depends on what scale your talking about

Last edited:
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what scale he's thinking of, $500 will cover the administrative costs (getting everything registered) and that's pretty much it. You're looking at needing at least $10-20,000 to start off which need to cover the physical machines, licenses, a few weeks of rent & power and the internet connection setup. That's not including fees for someone to draft the user license agreement, insurances you will require, and any contractor work that will need to be done.

Get real or go home kid, this isn't 1950 you can't start-up a business with a few hundred bucks.

The only other option is to just rent yourself & become a reseller, but you need to be getting your hosting for ridiculously cheap and have people willing to pay your inflated prices unless you want tiny profit margins.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what scale he's thinking of, $500 will cover the administrative costs (getting everything registered) and that's pretty much it. You're looking at needing at least $10-20,000 to start off which need to cover the physical machines, licenses, a few weeks of rent & power and the internet connection setup. That's not including fees for someone to draft the user license agreement, insurances you will require, and any contractor work that will need to be done.

Get real or go home kid, this isn't 1950 you can't start-up a business with a few hundred bucks.

The only other option is to just rent yourself & become a reseller, but you need to be getting your hosting for ridiculously cheap and have people willing to pay your inflated prices unless you want tiny profit margins.

Well it's totally wrong.

Link are just randomly found if you search more you can get cheaper:

Googled "rent reseller" Reseller Personal which you can host 100 sites with Cpanel 72$/6month
WHMCS for selling services monthly no branded 113$~/6month
Googled "whmcs templates" A template for WHMCS 25$/1 time payment

Total 6 month: 210$

And there is no need to get your reseller ridiculously cheap. It's already cheap. Selling unlimited hosting for 10$ for year (yeah you rent everything for 6 months but sell your things for 1 year) 21 site makes you back to 0. After that every site you sell gives you money for next 6 month. Just be sure you can afford next 6 month even if you just sold 3-5 site. Don't scam people because you will get legal actions in back.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well it's totally wrong.

Link are just randomly found if you search more you can get cheaper:

Googled "rent reseller" Reseller Personal which you can host 100 sites with Cpanel 72$/6month
WHMCS for selling services monthly no branded 113$~/6month
Googled "whmcs templates" A template for WHMCS 25$/1 time payment

Total 6 month: 210$

And there is no need to get your reseller ridiculously cheap. It's already cheap. Selling unlimited hosting for 10$ for year (yeah you rent everything for 6 months but sell your things for 1 year) 21 site makes you back to 0. After that every site you sell gives you money for next 6 month. Just be sure you can afford next 6 month even if you just sold 3-5 site. Don't scam people because you will get legal actions in back.

Yeh... all of which points to tiny profit margins... which is exactly what i said... You aren't making any real money by reselling on a small scale. You're earning just enough to stay afloat for the next 6 months and hoping you earn enough to cover the 6 months after that. The only money to be made is by being the ones who own the actual hardware.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeh... all of which points to tiny profit margins... which is exactly what i said... You aren't making any real money by reselling on a small scale. You're earning just enough to stay afloat for the next 6 months and hoping you earn enough to cover the 6 months after that. The only money to be made is by being the ones who own the actual hardware.

Not so. It's just a starting. I mean for every bussiness you do investment and as a first goal you decide to get your investment back. After that every single sale means profit.

Reaction score
In a business sense, no that is not what profit is, not at all.

You are referring to profit from an "investment" point of view which is completely different to profit from a business standpoint. With an investment, the entire goal is to make back the money you invested plus a little extra if possible to make it worth your time.

In business, profit is the money you are making above your ongoing expenses. The goal here is to be earning enough profit to pay atleast your own wages. If you have $500 to pay every 6 months & you are only making $100 per month, that is NOT $100 profit. That is operating a business at a LOSS since you are $400 short for your next 6 month cycle. Additionally, you have been working for free and have not earnt ANY money yourself for that entire 12 month period. Where is the profit there?

If this is supposed to be a business, then at the end of the day after paying all expenses & bills you still need to be able to pay yourself almost as much as you would earn anywhere else.

Reaction score
Why are we talking business when there is 500 bucks available? Aside from a lemonade stand, there isn't much you can do with it. Oh and the lemonade stand would be an illegal business, because by the time you get that poop legal, you won't have any money left to buy lemons. And you know what they say, if life gives you nothing, you make nothing.

Back