• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

DVB-S Card in Ubuntu Server as a streaming server

cats addicted
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i hope someone can give me some hints on how this could work.

I have a shuttle XPC which is running as a small homeserver. Its using Ubuntu server 18.04 as OS.
Fully setup as NAS using samba for intern and nextcloud as extern access.
Wanted to install PLEX as a mediastreaming service, which is running but cant be accessed from external network (which is ok for me).

Now i want to install an old DVB-S card i found. I hope i get it to run at all because its from 2004 using the Phillips SAA7146AH chip. Some forums say its a Technotrend Budget card.
After its installed, i need some software to grant external access to this card. And that is where i need help. Is there any software so i can sit on any other pc, connect to my server and watch via that DVB-S card (and maybe choose the channel).

Back