Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

Reaction score
i think it was verry stupid considering ati is gonne release there new dx 10 cards whitin 2 months , and for the same price u r gonne get a card that's probaby around 25/ 30% faster then that card

and u wil need a intel e6700 cpu or better or that graficks card will have a massive bottleneck and u would of been better of with the cheaper 8800 gts one

Most games an e6300 is enough to hit ther bottle neck. e6600 is ideal and not the e6700.

And with ATI. It'll cost $600 USD. So him getting it for $400 is already a damn good deal. And with the ATI. It uses about 250w of power where as the 8800GTX uses much less.

Sure it's faster but the 8800 will be more efficient and cheaper.

Only 900 points better on 3dmark05?

And only 400 points better on 3dmark06?

If those specs are what the current market is shooting for.. ATI is doomed, especially since the R600 is going to be priced higher then the (upcoming) 8900 series.. and the 8900 series is going to blow the r600 out of the water (going by what I read in those benchmarks) Sure, it did beat most of the benchmarks, but msot of them were VERY marginal, and youd never feel teh difference between 80 fps and 100 fps in a game.. pushing 70 the game is ats lagless as it can get ;)

Not really sure the 8900's will blow way the x2900's. It'll probally be like the 7900GTX vs x1900XTX. Each wins at their own games and this time around there will be equal image quality.

So the winner will be down to efficency. And that's where the 8900s will blow away the x2900's.

Even the 8800's are more efficient then the x2900s and they are just marginally slower.

So you'll have a $550 8900GTX performing the same as the $600 x2900XTX and I know which one I'll go for. The cheaper one that runs cooler.

Though with the dual card setups it'll be a different story. SLI wins hands down.

So I don't expect the $600 x2900XTX2 will be better then the $600 8950GX2.

BTW, the quadcore sucks hardcore.. its only good for server managed groups... its support is nil, and it doesnt have the right process drivers to cope with any game sbeing written out. a dual cor eis all you need.. jsut take a look at the benchies ;)

Actually there is a game out there that makes use of quad cores. =P

Supreme Commander actually does.

And not to mention. With dual threaded apps like the Source engine and the Quake 3 engine there'll be boost if you manually set each one of the thread to run on their own core a side from teh one the OS is using. But then again that's a pain in the butt to do every time you want to play a game. =P

But anyways a faster dual core would be better in gamming anyways then a slower quad core. A x6800 running at 3.6ghz will be much better then a qx6700 running at 3.0-3.2ghz.

So, in short.. unless those benchmarks get any better, then the 8800 GTS/GTX are going to be the kings fo rprice/performance still.. and most especially when the 8900 series comes out.

Oh yeah. Can't forget about the price drops with the 8900's release.

For under $400 you can get yourself an 8800GTS 640 and for just over $400 you should get yourself a GTX. :drool:

hehe, as soon as they come out, the GTX will probably drop down to the ~$500 range give or take, which will in effect cause a small amount of peopel to upgrade to the r600, but the smart ones will fire right up to the GTX... or for the even smarter, they will buy a GTS to tide them until the next series 8900++++'s come out ;)

But the 8900's will be there to meet the R600's. =P

By the way the MSRP should be as follows:

$600 - 8950GX2, x2900XTX, x2900XTX2
$550 - 8900GTX
$500 - 8900GTX, x2900XT
$450 - 8800GTX
$400 - 8800GTS 640

And as usual it'll probally be $50 less then MSRP online exectp for the top ones.

LMAO,Dude there is a ppl that addicted to Nvidia and will buy thier newest g-card even thought they SURLY know that ATI Will pwn thier card lol

And there are people that will buy AMD products even though Intel (CPU) or nVidia (AMD) are better.

That's what you call a fan boy. And that's why I am not. I buy the best of the two. =P

Lots of facts to consider as well.. Im not calling myself a fanboy for any reason.. but with them being on the market, it means games are using 'their' current advances, which gives them a headstart on the competative drivers edge. Experience in the market is handy.. and the r600 is goign to be the first they make, as opposed to a company thats already had one out for several months already.

So in the end. You'll see tons of DX10 games run better on nVidia since they are the only ones with DX10 cards and games will use features suited to thoes cards.

Another reason why nVidia will perform better especially in DX10.

And about the motherboards (to lazy to qoute and reply to each post).

Epox is a crap brand. They are cheap and used by system builders simply because they are cheap. You don't hear of problems with tehm because most of the people that uses them doesn't even know what a motherboard is.

With DFI, ASUS, Gigabyte, and other big name board. You have people who knows what motherboards are and can report errors when they see them.

So you see. With high end boards there seems to be lots of problems with them but that's only because people know that they are the cause of it. Where as with cheap boards the average owner doesn't even know what a mother board is much less who makes it and cannot report the errors because of it.

NoPeace - out

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sadly.. Nvidia is going to be lucky only because of that main fact... I really am curious to see how/if microsoft will work with ATI to give them a bit of a boost. The current market between ATI/Nvidia is amazing, and with those two companies going neck and neck and releasing these, its pushing our graphics industry right up into the future. Just think, 3 years ago I was using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb AGP card.. PCI wasnt even out, and I had the top of the line card from back then. Now, a single new-age graphics card could throw a dozen Ti4200's into the garbage if they somehow linked them all up to scale properly :p

Anyway, hoorah for ATI/Nvidia.. they are doing WONDERS for the PC now, and I 'really' cant wait for the 45nm chips to come out, I hope AMD gets off their asses and follows as well, more cores can be good.. but rush it too fast and there will be a big price/performance issue going on.. and the main problem will be developers writing the code to support more cores, as opposed to fine tuning the dual/quad cores and pushing the MHz out of them as much as they can.. suck the market up for another year ;)

EDIT: <-- For the motherboard reply

Yep, as far as I'm concerened, the first thing I look at is benchmarks and reviews.. Im not worried about peopel getting problems because I am very competent enough to build a computer and make sure it works the first time.. the last time I had a computer beep at me was when I found out I had to throw .2 more volts into my ram to fire it up properly at 4 gigs.. had to plug in only 2 gigs and browse around on the net to figure out jsut what the problem was.. still nto sure what exactly causes it.. but a few extra .'s helped out the problem.. Other then that, if you have the brains, there shouldnt be any problems with the hardware, unless of course its running beta BIOS or there is a problem with the hardware itself.

Reaction score
Yeah, sadly.. Nvidia is going to be lucky only because of that main fact... I really am curious to see how/if microsoft will work with ATI to give them a bit of a boost. The current market between ATI/Nvidia is amazing, and with those two companies going neck and neck and releasing these, its pushing our graphics industry right up into the future. Just think, 3 years ago I was using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb AGP card.. PCI wasnt even out, and I had the top of the line card from back then. Now, a single new-age graphics card could throw a dozen Ti4200's into the garbage if they somehow linked them all up to scale properly :p

You sure that was 3 years ago? I remember buying my 9700 Pro back 4 years ago and that was top dog then. =P

But yeah not so long ago it was still AGP. And now look at how far it has come. With GPU setups pushing teraflops of power. Something that up to now only mainframes and supercomputers could do.

Pretty amazing stuff.

Anyway, hoorah for ATI/Nvidia.. they are doing WONDERS for the PC now, and I 'really' cant wait for the 45nm chips to come out, I hope AMD gets off their asses and follows as well, more cores can be good.. but rush it too fast and there will be a big price/performance issue going on.. and the main problem will be developers writing the code to support more cores, as opposed to fine tuning the dual/quad cores and pushing the MHz out of them as much as they can.. suck the market up for another year ;)

Yeah the 45nm's are going to be pretty amazing though... Just immagine the 65nm GPU's and how more efficient and faster they will be. And even the 8800's can support x86 instruction sets. So it's just a matter of time till we use them insetad of CPUs. ;)

Also the 65nm Cell processor is looking to be really awsome. They are stated to run at 6ghz. And they are 8-way CPU's.

The current one running at 3.2ghz is blazing fast just imagine what thoes new ones can do. O.O

EDIT: <-- For the motherboard reply

Yep, as far as I'm concerened, the first thing I look at is benchmarks and reviews.. Im not worried about peopel getting problems because I am very competent enough to build a computer and make sure it works the first time.. the last time I had a computer beep at me was when I found out I had to throw .2 more volts into my ram to fire it up properly at 4 gigs.. had to plug in only 2 gigs and browse around on the net to figure out jsut what the problem was.. still nto sure what exactly causes it.. but a few extra .'s helped out the problem.. Other then that, if you have the brains, there shouldnt be any problems with the hardware, unless of course its running beta BIOS or there is a problem with the hardware itself.

Yeah... Notice how all thoes problems are only reported by people with little understanding of the system to begin with. I was cruzing around the evga's forum last night check out what issues the 680i board has. Outside of FSB limit with the quad cores on the early version of the board, the problems where mostly due to human error that can be easily corrected with some time and knowledge.

NoPeace - out

Back