Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Fedora Linux

DRGunZ 2 Creator
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm trying my hardest to help out my friend who is running Linux (Fedora) on her laptop (not even she knows how to use it, her step-dad installed it while he was using it). Shes getting this error when booting:
Code:
An error occurred during the file system check.
Dropping you to shell;the system will reboot when you leave the shell.
Warning -- SELinux is active
Disabling security enforcement for system recovery.
Run 'setenforce 1'to reenable.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
Thing is, we don't know the root password, and her step-dad won't give it to her.
So, I looked up on how to reset the root password. We did all the steps (putting 1 after the kernel command to put it into single-user mode/Runlevel 1), accepted the new changes, and booted the the changed kernel, but it still comes up with the first error.

I have no clue on how to use Linux. Could someone help us out please? (Note: I have no access to her computer, or even visuals. She lives in Rhode Island at the moment. I was going by what she was telling me the screen said.)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks like something is corrupt maybe? I would just re-install the OS im sure Ubuntu etc is plenty enough user friendly to understand. That would be my approach.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Yeah, not giving root password is a good enough reason to re-install. Ubuntu gets my vote too.

DRGunZ 2 Creator
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Looks like something is corrupt maybe? I would just re-install the OS im sure Ubuntu etc is plenty enough user friendly to understand. That would be my approach.
That's what I was thinking, but she doesn't have the CD's to restore. I think you need the root password for that too.
Should I tell her to take it to a shop to fix it and remove Linux? (we are used to Windows)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, but she doesn't have the CD's to restore. I think you need the root password for that too.
Should I tell her to take it to a shop to fix it and remove Linux? (we are used to Windows)

Well it depends, if the machine came with recovery disks I guess she would be able to manage to put windows back in alone. Or if someone talked to her over phone or something and told her how to install a pirated copy of Windows (if she doesn't mind pirated). Because all that's going to happen is they will end up charging her a lot of money for a simple reformat and driver install. If she has a OEM machine finding her drivers will be simple.

Back