Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Goddamn Laptop Coolers

NTV

Anime Network
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I think I spent about $150 on laptop cooling. Targus, Antec, and some other products from Staples, BJ's, PC Richards,Best Buy etc. All of them lasted a month and died and most of them constantly made my laptop move while gaming and they were for 17" laptops which I have.

Is there any laptop coolers you guys would recommend? I haven't tried Cooler Master yet but I'm thinking to give that a last shot but I don't know which one of those are good.

Thanks

Regards.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Budget?

Recom Cooldesk Pro
Cooler Master NotePal ErgoStand

Reactions: NTV
Reaction score
None? If you have an actual gaming laptop, most of them have air intake at the front or side, not the bottom. So a laptop cooler is not going to do you any good. Most of them are gimmicky products anyway, a fan on the bottom of my laptop wouldn't do a damn thing.

What you should be doing though, is looking for the root cause of why it's running hot in the first place.

Reaction score
i know mine is a 17' gaming laptop, it runs hot on the graphics card only, hot enough to burn your hand when touching the fins and enough to cause a random shutdown. If you think you are confident enough just open up the laptop clean it out, and if you can remove the heatsinks and add better thermal paste to them.

what helps mine is when i keep it plugged in and i remove the battery it helps take out one major heat source on the bottom of the laptop

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re-Doing the thermal paste is probably the issue, most laptops and OEM products use cheap thermal contacts, or those stick on pads. As mentioned above, open it up and dust it out.. and if you can, remove all heatsinks + add some arctic silver to them!

Reactions: 404
Reaction score
compressed air work on the air vents that the straw can fit through, but i also took this laptop to Iraq and the sand there gets everywhere, i had to open mine up and blow it out and even wipe out the damn thing, that sand never goes away lol

Reaction score
I would die if i ever got sand into my precious laptop :p

As it is i only ever use it on solid flat surfaces so the air vents aren't covered. Luckily mine's a factory refurbished unit so the thermal paste had already been re-applied.

Reactions: NTV
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
compressed air work on the air vents that the straw can fit through, but i also took this laptop to Iraq and the sand there gets everywhere, i had to open mine up and blow it out and even wipe out the damn thing, that sand never goes away lol

That's what air compressors are for. :thumbup1:

NTV

Anime Network
Loyal Member
Reaction score
None? If you have an actual gaming laptop, most of them have air intake at the front or side, not the bottom. So a laptop cooler is not going to do you any good. Most of them are gimmicky products anyway, a fan on the bottom of my laptop wouldn't do a damn thing.

What you should be doing though, is looking for the root cause of why it's running hot in the first place.

It's the Asus Gamers G72GX RBBX05 Laptop edition, every review about this laptop is that it can handle every game except that it overheats very easily so they said if I get a laptop cooler it would make it work easily. This thing gets really hot if I run StarCraft II even on "low" with the lowest dimensions and low quality sound.

Tried using compressed air to clean dust?
Haven't tried that yet, I'll try this.

I would die if i ever got sand into my precious laptop :p

As it is i only ever use it on solid flat surfaces so the air vents aren't covered. Luckily mine's a factory refurbished unit so the thermal paste had already been re-applied.

I bought mine as factory refurbrished too, people said to update your BIOS and read reviews about the BIOS 602 which is the latest BIOS for my Asus model. They said it is pointless to even try downloading it. So I bought a temporary laptop cooler from Targus again this time a different model. So far it is "okay" but not strong enough to cool it all the way. The fans are pretty weak even at high.

So, I'm going to buy a Cooler Master laptop cooler I just need one that would last over a month seriously lol.

Also the air intake is from the bottom of the laptop and air outake is behind the laptop. If the intake is from the sides it would make it so much better so that I don't need to get a laptop cooler for the bottom of the laptop and leave room so it can breathe.

I might need to do it the old fashion way and leave the air condition on and freeze to half-death for a while then turn it off or something so that my laptop can cool. Thats what I had to do with my old computer.

PS I bought this for $519 + tax which was $579.

This thing has a Nvidia GTX 260M, 6GB DDR2 Ram, except it runs on Intel 2 Duo 2.53GHz.

Edit:

How about this one?

Has good reviews.

Atleast Die Trying...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I tried a hell of alot laptop coolers and none work. if i were u. I would look up how to build one and build one with like 4 50mm fans so that it can just keep cool all round.

d.^.^.b
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I just keep it on a flat surfaceandit works the best i have one forwhen im in my room for laying in bed it is a cool maaster i like it ill edit or post again when i get the version i got work so i cant atm

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Do what I've done before - Get a sheet of 1/2", or 3/4" MDF, cut it, bevel the edges, route out holes for fans, and custom build one yourself. its MUCH better using a couple USB 120mm fans connected to a USB hub; where they are needed most, instead of buying those crappy plastic/aluminum crap coolers that dont do squat for your laptop.

Back