Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Godly] downloading speed.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
The speed he is showing is 60mb/s, NOT 6mb/s. That is not possible, the fastest internet connections available today can reach a maximum of 10mb/s.

Not true. Heard about fiber? In one larger city in my country (which by the way, are really slow to build more networks >.>) they tested out 1 Gbit/s. That's 125 MB/s. Most harddrives can't even write that fast. But that was of course only a test of future technology (a couple of years). But nevertheless, in Sweden it's perfectly normal with 100mbit/s and has been so for a while. I know people there who only use the internet to surf, yet have so fast lines because it doesn't cost much :S

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm on cable in the UK and i have a constant 20mbit connection, it will download at 2.5MB/s

Also, I find it very hard to believe the police came knocking on your door to take your laptop away

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Lets clear a few things up.

One its possible because its a torrent, e.g. a connection 'can' download at its top download speed, unlike http where most download speeds are capped at 1-3mb/s because of bandwidth shares/limits/etc.

Two it is possible to have 100mb-1000mb internet connections, totally possible but expensive. For example to my house i've had 52mb connection using 2 26mb internet connections and i easily got 20mb/s down and 2mb/s up, but as i said 'had', i had no need for it so i took my internet back down to a 'cheap' connection because i'm saving for uni and such.

Three, Download speeds don't mean crap anymore, nor does upload speeds because of the increasing investment in internet speeds, i mean come on.. how many countries are spamming other countries or selling stuff? its needed, i could see in lets say 2 years, most homes having 100mb/s connections as a BASIC connection, england for example is already planning for this, fiber cables to every street, well thats the plan, don't know if it will happen or not.

Want a way to be the best at upload/download speeds?

Make/Own a botnet ^_^!

Do the maths,

10,000 computers infected; (easier then it looks)
20kb/s uploads each stolen;(not a notice-able amount)
200,000kb/s upload for the botnet;
Thats 194.5mb/s uploads, enough to do whatever you want with.... take out a server for example or something.

If you really want to be Urber Old School, get 100,000+ computers infected, thats 1945.5mb/s uploads.. enough to take out a small country.. stuff shooting people, bleedy take their internet from them, my bet is that it would cause chaos!

Sorry for the randomness, Best Regards,
Vynsan

Reaction score
Not true. Heard about fiber? In one larger city in my country (which by the way, are really slow to build more networks >.>) they tested out 1 Gbit/s. That's 125 MB/s. Most harddrives can't even write that fast. But that was of course only a test of future technology (a couple of years). But nevertheless, in Sweden it's perfectly normal with 100mbit/s and has been so for a while. I know people there who only use the internet to surf, yet have so fast lines because it doesn't cost much :S

Yet again you are mistaking actual LINE SPEEDS with DOWNLOAD SPEEDS. The LINE speed is capable of 100 megabits per second. That makes the download speed 10 megabytes per second. Is that or is that not exactly what i just said above?

Have i ever heard of fiber? ADSL 2+ uses fiber. It is NOTHING new. What they are experimenting with is creating a gigabit infrastructure between the exchanges to create a faster network. Woopdee, we have that here, it means nothing. Will users get anywhere near that speed? Absolutely not.

Lets clear a few things up.

One its possible because its a torrent, e.g. a connection 'can' download at its top download speed, unlike http where most download speeds are capped at 1-3mb/s because of bandwidth shares/limits/etc.

Two it is possible to have 100mb-1000mb internet connections, totally possible but expensive. For example to my house i've had 52mb connection using 2 26mb internet connections and i easily got 20mb/s down and 2mb/s up, but as i said 'had', i had no need for it so i took my internet back down to a 'cheap' connection because i'm saving for uni and such.

Three, Download speeds don't mean crap anymore, nor does upload speeds because of the increasing investment in internet speeds, i mean come on.. how many countries are spamming other countries or selling stuff? its needed, i could see in lets say 2 years, most homes having 100mb/s connections as a BASIC connection, england for example is already planning for this, fiber cables to every street, well thats the plan, don't know if it will happen or not.

Want a way to be the best at upload/download speeds?

Make/Own a botnet ^_^!

Do the maths,

10,000 computers infected; (easier then it looks)
20kb/s uploads each stolen;(not a notice-able amount)
200,000kb/s upload for the botnet;
Thats 194.5mb/s uploads, enough to do whatever you want with.... take out a server for example or something.

If you really want to be Urber Old School, get 100,000+ computers infected, thats 1945.5mb/s uploads.. enough to take out a small country.. stuff shooting people, bleedy take their internet from them, my bet is that it would cause chaos!

Sorry for the randomness, Best Regards,
Vynsan

You are very lost, aren't you? I really do not feel like going throgh that and pointing out all of your mistakes, there really are that many.

But the basic points:

1. No, that speed is NOT possible.

2. No, downloading above 100MB/s is not possible. You cannot even transfer something from your flash drive at that speed.

3. Download speeds don't mean crap anymore? Cancel your broadband connection with your ISP and go back to dialup. THEN tell me they don't mean crap.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Yet again you are mistaking actual LINE SPEEDS with DOWNLOAD SPEEDS. The LINE speed is capable of 100 megabits per second. That makes the download speed 10 megabytes per second. Is that or is that not exactly what i just said above?
I think you are mistaking what a byte is :S
A byte is 8 bits.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
A byte is 8 bits.

And yes, it is possible.

NTV

Anime Network
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1. No, that speed is NOT possible.

Yeah, that speed must either be an edit or a glitch
either way it's not possible to have a speed such as that....

All is well...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yah that's not possible. Servers normally have limits on them. If someone is hosting a legitimate download site then they'll have the download rates controlled too.
gigorga - [Godly] downloading speed. - RaGEZONE Forums

Enjoi non-fake pix. Taken from my old Ro server that I use to run. I have 3 others in my photobucket but that one is of the fastest speed. Downloading from FileFront.

Reaction score
And yes, it is possible.
The download speed if 60,000 kb/s isn't really possible unless you have a line speed of ~500mb...
In Japan the line speeds are around 100mb.

It is technically possible if you have a dedicated gigabit connection for yourself and you are downloading from someone else with the same connection...
So, no it's not possible that you were actually downloading at that speed.

Also that gay little story you made up just makes me want to ban you lol.

Crash

Master Summoner
Reaction score
The download speed if 60,000 kb/s isn't really possible unless you have a line speed of ~500mb...
In Japan the line speeds are around 100mb.

It is technically possible if you have a dedicated gigabit connection for yourself and you are downloading from someone else with the same connection...
So, no it's not possible that you were actually downloading at that speed.

Also that gay little story you made up just makes me want to ban you lol.

Crash

What gay little story?

Technically possible = possible

The computer is the bottleneck when you have that kind of connection.

Reaction score
What gay little story?
The one in the first post about the police showing up and confiscating his laptop.
Technically possible = possible

The computer is the bottleneck when you have that kind of connection.
I could technically go to mars, see where I'm going with this?

It's not all about being able to download at that speed, you'd need someone to be uploading to you at that speed aswell...

At this moment in time it's highly unlikely that someone will just happen to have a gigabit connection and be uploading what you are downloading.

In this case it's just a glitch or photoshopped.

Crash

Master Summoner
Reaction score
The one in the first post about the police showing up and confiscating his laptop.

It's not all about being able to download at that speed, you'd need someone to be uploading to you at that speed aswell...

At this moment in time it's highly unlikely that someone will just happen to have a gigabit connection and be uploading what you are downloading.

Crash

Yeah I see where your going, mars trip? I take it youve nvr heard of fiber optics, its kewl, just look it up

Think of multiple machines uploading. Think of downloading from a computer from a LAN/WAN network via fiber optics.

The internet is one big butt WAN.

Don't Mind if I do...
Reaction score

Crash

I agree as a network admin it isnt realistically possible for you to download that fast. Any smart company would put caps on their servers plus factoring in distance and hubs your download would have to pass through it would be bloody hard to download that fast.

Also just a note fiber opt has been around for awhile its nothing new. The hubs that the majority of people here at ragezone connect to are fiber opt. For most people it goes from your house via a cable to a hub where it is than passed through fiber and back out again.

O and if that is a torrent which it probably is since your downloading windows xp the amount of connections that are uploading to you will also slow you down.

And the mars thing, he was just using an analogy you can actually go to space for a bit if you have the moeny

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

Crash

Double check the first post, please? He is downloading via torrent - hence no need for somebody to have a massive upload speed on their end... a series of slow uploaders works for that. Even so, I am somewhat doubtful that there were enough uploaders seeding for him to get those speeds. -_-

Master Summoner
Reaction score
I agree as a network admin it isnt realistically possible for you to download that fast. Any smart company would put caps on their servers plus factoring in distance and hubs your download would have to pass through it would be bloody hard to download that fast.

Also just a note fiber opt has been around for awhile its nothing new. The hubs that the majority of people here at ragezone connect to are fiber opt. For most people it goes from your house via a cable to a hub where it is than passed through fiber and back out again.

O and if that is a torrent which it probably is since your downloading windows xp the amount of connections that are uploading to you will also slow you down.

And the mars thing, he was just using an analogy you can actually go to space for a bit if you have the moeny

Yeah i was trying to be sarcastic, I guess it didnt work. Im not denying it would be difficult, im just saying its possible, and has occurred, unlike a man stepping foot on mars.

Don't Mind if I do...
Reaction score
even if there were enough uploaders the download speed would still not go that high. I can see it with one or two but not more than that, receiving that many connects at that speed isn't realistic at all. bandwidth does not build well at all when you are receiving many connections. Its better to have one dedicated connection than many coming at you at once

Reaction score
...Attempting to maintain an overhead at that speed would crash just about any modem, especially that junk your ISP gives you.

You're not fooling anyone, gigora. That screenshot is obviously fake.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Well obviously that screen isnt proving anything, could be a software glitch, could be a GDI hook, or photoshop. Pick one of the 3.

Reaction score
A byte is 8 bits.

I know exactly what a bit and a byte is. What exactly are you trying to say?

If you have a 512 kilobit line, your download speed is roughly 50KB/s
If you have a 256 kilobit line, your download speed is roughly 25KB/s
If you have a 1.5 megabit line, your download speed is roughly 150KB/s
If you have a 24 megabit line, your download speed is roughly 2.4MB/s

Now go get out your calculator (if you need it) and tell me that those download speeds are not roughly 10% of the line speed.

Back