Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Godly] downloading speed.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
I know exactly what a bit and a byte is. What exactly are you trying to say?

If you have a 512 kilobit line, your download speed is roughly 50KB/s
If you have a 256 kilobit line, your download speed is roughly 25KB/s
If you have a 1.5 megabit line, your download speed is roughly 150KB/s
If you have a 24 megabit line, your download speed is roughly 2.4MB/s

Now go get out your calculator (if you need it) and tell me that those download speeds are not roughly 10% of the line speed.

huh?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
it is possible to download insanely fast, if you download a "nulled" (fake) text file.

it could also be that your line "hickup'd" as some pointet out here and was trying to throtle down again.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Plus most ISP are blocking Torrents now.

To be fair, that was worked around within about a day, theres a little box you can tick on most torrent programs now that says 'encrypt traffic' and the ISPs are not allowed to decrypt your traffic, at least not in the UK. Of course, if you are using a torrent, it's a legal file anyway, so it wouldn't even matter if you were caught doing it.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
Some of the replies in this thread is seriously sad. Ever heard about torrent technology? You can get ridicolous speeds. People hogged up all the bandwidth at universities with gigabit networks with torrents back in the days when it hadn't been blocked yet.

Most ISPs don't block torrents. In some countries they do, but that's not many countries.

Yet again you are mistaking actual LINE SPEEDS with DOWNLOAD SPEEDS. The LINE speed is capable of 100 megabits per second. That makes the download speed 10 megabytes per second. Is that or is that not exactly what i just said above?

Have i ever heard of fiber? ADSL 2+ uses fiber. It is NOTHING new. What they are experimenting with is creating a gigabit infrastructure between the exchanges to create a faster network. Woopdee, we have that here, it means nothing. Will users get anywhere near that speed? Absolutely not.

You are very lost, aren't you? I really do not feel like going throgh that and pointing out all of your mistakes, there really are that many.

But the basic points:

1. No, that speed is NOT possible.

2. No, downloading above 100MB/s is not possible. You cannot even transfer something from your flash drive at that speed.

3. Download speeds don't mean crap anymore? Cancel your broadband connection with your ISP and go back to dialup. THEN tell me they don't mean crap.

100 Mbits/s is 12.5MB/s to be more precise. Nevertheless, I said it has been normal in Sweden for a while. For a while. If they wanted to they could go way higher. That gigabit internet was also to the rest of the internets via fiber, but very few places you can use all the speed. Bittorrent is "the" way you can make use of such high speeds.

Another example, they tested a new technology that let them transfer 120 mbits/s via the same thing you use to watch TV.

Some of us have harddrives with speeds over 100 megabytes per second. That's why we have raid, after all...

Master Summoner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
100Mbps is about 12MB/s download.

Rish, it's totally possible to download with way more than that...it all just depends on the line in to your location / fibre / server location.

Oh, lol, there's a second page >.<

Master Summoner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I do Crash, the first replies was about him, after that, we sort of got into the general thing :p

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Perhaps this thread should be renamed & moved to the debate section? There is a debate going on. ^^

Reaction score
100 Mbits/s is 12.5MB/s to be more precise. Nevertheless, I said it has been normal in Sweden for a while. For a while. If they wanted to they could go way higher. That gigabit internet was also to the rest of the internets via fiber, but very few places you can use all the speed. Bittorrent is "the" way you can make use of such high speeds.

Another example, they tested a new technology that let them transfer 120 mbits/s via the same thing you use to watch TV.

Some of us have harddrives with speeds over 100 megabytes per second. That's why we have raid, after all...

100Mbps is about 12MB/s download.

Rish, it's totally possible to download with way more than that...it all just depends on the line in to your location / fibre / server location.

Oh, lol, there's a second page >.<

OK i am going to say this 1 more time just to make it clear for you; THE SPEED HE IS SHOWING INDICATES A 600 MEGABIT CONNECTION. HOW THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE FIND THAT POSSIBLE?

I am TELLING you right now, this is not a debatable subject, it IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Yes there are places which may SAY they have a "gigabit connection" but it is NOT available, this "gigabit connection" is ONLY FROM THE ISP SERVER TO THE EXCHANGE, IF YOU READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IT IS CLEARLY STATED THERE. Fiber optics and gigabit connections are NOT new, stop mentioning them matter-of-factly and expecting it to prove anything.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
OK i am going to say this 1 more time just to make it clear for you; THE SPEED HE IS SHOWING INDICATES A 600 MEGABIT CONNECTION. HOW THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE FIND THAT POSSIBLE?

I am TELLING you right now, this is not a debatable subject, it IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Yes there are places which may SAY they have a "gigabit connection" but it is NOT available, this "gigabit connection" is ONLY FROM THE ISP SERVER TO THE EXCHANGE, IF YOU READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IT IS CLEARLY STATED THERE. Fiber optics and gigabit connections are NOT new, stop mentioning them matter-of-factly and expecting it to prove anything.
- Stop thinking in multiples of ten.. 60MB (megabytes) per second indicates a 480+ megabit connection (assuming one gets an optimal speed).

- Also, take note that he said it wasn't supposed to be like that. That the first poster does not get that download speed as the norm. It was a one time thing, and that is not impossible for bandwidth to be allocated wrongly. Glitches do happen, and are not expected, but one should always expect the unexpected.

- My ISP advertises the Internet I get at 16mb/2mb (down/up). I get anywhere from 15-to-20mb down, and 2-to-6mb up, based on various tests from . I can download up to 4MB/s, and upload up to 2MB/s. This is likely because the guy who installed my stuff was cool, and hooked up some cables that would give me a strong connection. It probably helps that I'm the only person in my area who has the Internet package that I have, too.
With that said, I agree that people don't get what is advertised to them. I am lucky and get just a bit more than what was advertised, for me. ^^

- Stop saying things in a matter-of-fact way... you don't know, so don't say it. Go back a hundred years, and people would have said the Internet would never take off, it was impossible (like how you are saying it will never improve, it is impossible - keyword, you are saying it is impossible).
If you have the money, you could setup an OC12 line for home use (it costs a few thousand dollars (USD) per month, though). If you can find a website that will upload enough to make use of your Internet speed, you will have to take note that it actually does download very fast. Probably as fast as your harddrive will copy the data. Of course, with i-Ram and/or RAID setups, that can be pretty fast. It isn't so much as impossible, as unlikely.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
So? OC3 Lines are amazing. Picture this: 20 T1 Lines (100mb/s) bundled together. The place where I work has about 3 of them, and one is reserved for their servers (nameservers, DNS servers, some groupwise, and a couple of VPS's).

Reaction score
- Stop thinking in multiples of ten.. 60MB (megabytes) per second indicates a 480+ megabit connection (assuming one gets an optimal speed).

Once you factor in line noise, packet loss, and the distance form both the ISP servers + the Exchange, you are left with 10% of your line speed. That's why i use 10 and not 12.5 because in practice you will not get that speed.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Once you factor in line noise, packet loss, and the distance form both the ISP servers + the Exchange, you are left with 10% of your line speed. That's why i use 10 and not 12.5 because in practice you will not get that speed.

Where the hell are you getting 12.5?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
my average download speed is 1.2MB/sec providing the site does not cap me at 600 - 800 KB/s I live in canada and have the 10MB service from rogers

Here is a quick speed test you also have to keep in mind there are 2 other computers +a server running on the network currently

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
this is pointless,

Shouldn't this be moved or locked?

Regards,
Vynsan

Mythic Archon
Reaction score

No, just no. In most cases maybe, but I know that isn't true in many cases. We live far from our DSL ISP thing, 2KM which is just at the limit, yet we got 4mbit when we had ordered 4mbit. And my uncle gets quite exactly 100mbit, 12,5MB/S.

One byte = 8 bits.

Back